• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replace noisy laptop as music source

Chris-toe-fur

I'm trying to figure out a replacement for my laptop as an audio source for my dac/amp. The laptop is about 8 years old and has a very loud fan, which I can hear through my open backs. Additionally, it's annoying having to boot it up etc. if I want to listen to music. My DAC accepts USB, TOSLINK, and coax. The audio files I'm looking to play are from my local library and not from streaming services like spotify, tidal, etc.

I want to replace it with something quieter and more immediately accessible.

Some things I have considered:
-A raspberry pi
-Streaming my library to my phone, and connecting it to my dac
-a DAP

A raspberry pi with music stored locally might be nice, but I'd like to run it headless and control it from my phone. I'm also having trouble finding guides on how to do it, most of the info I find is on turning a pi into a DAC, which I don't want to do. Does anyone have suggestions for software/components that I would need to do this?

Streaming from a server to my phone could work, though it annoyingly means I wouldn't be able to charge it whilst listening to music. Is it possible that I could use an old laptop (or a raspberry pi) as a server and stream it to my phone? Does anyone have any suggestions for software to use for the server and/or apps for the phone?
It would be simpler to just put the music on my phone, but it only has 128GB of space and does not accept expandable storage.

I've looked at some DAPs but they seem expensive, and when I dig into the details not all of them can output over USB. Are there any affordable DAPs that people are willing to recommend?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Pi, as I could just plug it into the wall and not have to worry about battery charge. If people have any recommendations that I have not considered I'd be most happy to hear them; ideally it'd be something I could just plug into the wall & control with my phone.

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't stream, but some of the streamers are equipped to play wav files from USB thumb drives. That is what I do with my Cambridge 851N, which could output (digitally) to your dac. They aren't cheap though. Cambridge makes some lesser units that could do the same thing, and also some of the Pro Audio gear from Denon and Tascam allow for the same capability. I recently found a good deal on a used Tascam SS-R250N. A Chromebook might be an option for you, they traditionally run quieter than Windows laptops.

dc655321

Major Contributor
You could put your music on a cloud-based storage service (I use Dropbox) and use Cloudbeats or similar app on your phone for access and control.

Eetu

Forum Donor
I'm trying to figure out a replacement for my laptop as an audio source for my dac/amp. The laptop is about 8 years old and has a very loud fan, which I can hear through my open backs. Additionally, it's annoying having to boot it up etc. if I want to listen to music. My DAC accepts USB, TOSLINK, and coax. The audio files I'm looking to play are from my local library and not from streaming services like spotify, tidal, etc.

-A raspberry pi
-a DAP

A raspberry pi with music stored locally might be nice, but I'd like to run it headless and control it from my phone. I'm also having trouble finding guides on how to do it, most of the info I find is on turning a pi into a DAC, which I don't want to do. Does anyone have suggestions for software/components that I would need to do this?

Streaming from a server to my phone could work, though it annoyingly means I wouldn't be able to charge it whilst listening to music. Is it possible that I could use an old laptop (or a raspberry pi) as a server and stream it to my phone? Does anyone have any suggestions for software to use for the server and/or apps for the phone?
It would be simpler to just put the music on my phone, but it only has 128GB of space and does not accept expandable storage.

I've looked at some DAPs but they seem expensive, and when I dig into the details not all of them can output over USB. Are there any affordable DAPs that people are willing to recommend?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Pi, as I could just plug it into the wall and not have to worry about battery charge. If people have any recommendations that I have not considered I'd be most happy to hear them; ideally it'd be something I could just plug into the wall & control with my phone.
I've used a laptop in the past. I set it that it keeps running with the lid closed. I use Roon (possible to play local + Tidal, Qobuz) and control remotely via phone. Unfortunately it's ~$10/10€/month (+ any streaming services).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

-A raspberry pi
-a DAP

I am in the same boat as you. I use an I7 laptop with the lid closed, and run streaming music (Qobuz), some ripped DVD's (on an attached portable 4 tb hard drive), and Netflix and Amazon Prime. The laptop does everything well, but it runs hot and has a noisy fan.

I'd like to replace it with a dead quiet windows box that could perform all the same functions. Does a Nuc fill that bill? Can anyone weigh in regarding a really quiet, sanely priced (no Baetis Boxes!) windows PC I could use as a media server?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
streaming from a server to my phone could work, though it annoyingly means I wouldn't be able to charge it whilst listening to music.

Assuming you are using a standard 'two headed' OTG cable from your phone to DAC, look to replace it with a 'three headed' OTG cable - one that has an 'extra' female connector same as your phone. Then you plug your charger into that.

Here is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FY9Z9GD/

If you don't want to use your phone, you can turn a $29 'tracphone' into a DAP. Get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

Throw away the Net10 SIM and other stuff. It will work fine connecting to WiFi without it. Android 8. Install whatever apps you will use to access your server (bubbleupnp?). Get the above mentioned OTG cable to connect to your DAC. You are 'all set'.

This is a nice $29 device. LG manufactured. Easily replaced battery. Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. WDC9xx built-in DAC. (You may find analog out from the 3.5mm is just fine going to Amp).

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Eetu

Forum Donor
I am in the same boat as you. I use an I7 laptop with the lid closed, and run streaming music (Qobuz), some ripped DVD's (on an attached portable 4 tb hard drive), and Netflix and Amazon Prime. The laptop does everything well, but it runs hot and has a noisy fan.

I'd like to replace it with a dead quiet windows box that could perform all the same functions. Does a Nuc fill that bill? Can anyone weigh in regarding a really quiet, sanely priced (no Baetis Boxes!) windows PC I could use as a media server?
You could get a regular Intel NUC and replace the case with something like this http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=A-NUC45-A1B

DDF

Find a chromecast audio used, or similar, put the music on a dlna NAS hard drive (I use western digital, its lasted years), then use hificast app from your phone to play to the chromecast. If you ever decide to use a streaming service, it'll cast to the chromecast

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
How much music data?
What sort of budget?

If you want as PC that's as quiet as possible, I'd go with something at least Mini-ITX size, so you get a chance of using 120-140 mm fans - going with a minitower or midtower makes things increasing less cramped with more storage options if size is not a major concern. What makes laptops so potentially aggravating is all the high-frequency content they put out, from rushing air to fan screech (which I suspect may actually be related to a low PWM frequency). Marginal or plugged-up cooling systems in need of some new thermal paste do not make things any better.

Foobar2000 + Foobar2000 Controller app would be an option in such a scenario (you can also get a UPnP server component for Foobar though).

If you do not feel confident building a PC from scratch, the used market may yield a system with a (usually more upmarket) board that has fancy fan control options, regardless of whether they are actually being used. Some de-ricering may be required to make the system as cool, quiet and power-efficient as you want (undo CPU overclocks, reset voltages to spec, replace powerful graphics card if noisy, replace overdressed power supply if not very efficient under low load, possibly the odd new fan).

You definitely do not need anything remotely new for this purpose, Foobar2000 will run A-OK on a 10+-year-old machine. I'm using a 2011 Dell Latitude E6520 with an SSD for bedside-fi duties quite a bit - with nothing going on in the background, display off and just music playing over the integrated audio it hits about 5.5 W of power consumption according to BatteryInfoView, with zero fan action. (It's a fairly quiet model to begin with. Screech-free cooling systems with little in terms of tonal noise components were getting increasingly popular around that time.) It takes just a few seconds to boot, too - and there's always hybrid standby if need be.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A mini PC; try to find fanless one & with 2.5" expansion. Tho it's not the best time for such as it would be based on the Intel Celeron or Pentium... Ryzen 4000 U or GE would be ideal but its to early for those. You could build your own with mini ATX board but that would be pricy.
Option B an Android box (recommendation is some with big more performant core's) which will work with USB DAC (but you have to ensure that by testing it yourself) with HiByMusic side loaded on the box and on the phone for control & WiFi sync (on the same ruter). With external HDD of course.
Option C DAP my recommendation is HiBy R3Pro (same software HiByMusic on it).

Last edited:

tw99

A raspberry pi4 running PiCcoreplayer (free) via usb out into your dac would give you a technically near perfect solution for $50 or so. Why spend any more ? There are other software packages you can try as well. Volumio, Moode, etc.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

-A raspberry pi
-a DAP

Put Roon on the laptop and hide it in a cupboard.
Use RPi as a headless Roon endpoint
Control via phone / tablet app.

Burning Sounds

The Shuttle fanless PCs don't seem to get mentioned very often. I have an 8 year old Celeron powered unit running LMS with Squeezeboxes of various types around the house. They have just about every connection you could want and designed for 24/7 usage. Here's a typical example.

Bob-23

The laptop is about 8 years old and has a very loud fan,
I've a Thinkpad from 2011 running noiseless and another laptop from 2012 also running noiseless (at least when listening to music). Simply playing music files is not much of a burdon for a cpu, evenfor an older one. But one has to clean the fan regularly, depending on (the dust of) your environment. (I've got to clean it every 2 years) Opening the laptop and removing (often lots and lots of) dust is quite an efficient measure for reducing noise, and at the same time renewal of the cpu's heat conducting paste can be done, which may also have a positive effect. If you have never done that, you may find videos showing how to do. Or, get the service manual: it explains how to open your laptop.
Nontheless, here's some information of raspberry's potential:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-intel-i7-pc-and-raspberry.html

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I've a Thinkpad from 2011 running noiseless and another laptop from 2012 also running noiseless (at least when listening to music). Simply playing music files is not much of a burdon for a cpu, evenfor an older one. But one has to clean the fan regularly, depending on (the dust of) your environment. (I've got to clean it every 2 years) Opening the laptop and removing (often lots and lots of) dust is quite an efficient measure for reducing noise, and at the same time renewal of the cpu's heat conducting paste can be done, which may also have a positive effect. If you have never done that, you may find videos showing how to do. Or, get the service manual: it explains how to open your laptop.
Nontheless, here's some information of raspberry's potential:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-intel-i7-pc-and-raspberry.html

2011 was a good year for Thinkpad music servers . No fan noise here either.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Find a chromecast audio used, or similar, put the music on a dlna NAS hard drive (I use western digital, its lasted years), then use hificast app from your phone to play to the chromecast. If you ever decide to use a streaming service, it'll cast to the chromecast
This!

I use a similar setup. Music on a NAS and a CCA connected to my HAD-1 via toslink.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You didn't mention what your budget is, but I have a friend who is thrilled with his solution. He uses an 11" iPad Pro with 1TB of storage running Amazon and Google to stream to his networked AVR or on an 802.11 connection on his audio system. The iPad was about $1200, but I have to admit it is a very interesting and absolutely silent solution. I still play CDs, I suppose since I have so many and I'm way too lazy to rip hundreds of favorites, but when I was last in his home (admittedly months ago due to the virus) I felt like a dinosaur.

Bob-23

These were good machines, ever-lasting workhorses (had one of them over a decade), can easily be taken apart, even the cpu can be exchanged - contrary to that glued together A*-rubbish. I still recommend people looking for a high quality laptop trying to get a used T420 (the last one with the great keyboards).

Top Bottom