• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repentant subjectivist

vert

Forum Donor
You should at least give it a try, oratory1990s presets are a good starting point even if you're not the biggest fan of the Harman target (I'm not, personally). If you don't like it you can always uninstall the program - it's free after all. You know all those things people say about amplifier upgrades? "Better bass, more present mids, perfectly neutral, etc"? That's actually achievable with EQ and good transducers like the L500. The hard part is understanding your preferences and how certain sounds correlate with certain frequency ranges and how to adjust the preset to match what you want. Learning to do this also helps with reading and understanding measurement graphs. Though I have to say, if you're already super satisfied with what you have, playing with EQ might just introduce more audiophile neuroticism. There's always the tendency to go and tweak things and the thought that "it's not perfect yet I can still improve it".
Yeah but at least tinkering with EQ doesn't cost money. If one has to buy software, I don't believe there is a difference in sound between a $30 and a $300 piece of software, just the latter is going to be suited to a wider range of pro uses. I also find EQing to be tough. I also use oratory1990's or Crinacle's presets ; my main complaint with the Harman target is excess bass, so I just remove a little bass.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I got shouted down by an audiophile boasting about his six-figure ($250,000) setup and that anyone suggesting a $1,000 system could perform well was just ignorant, poor and envious.
What really pisses these types off is when you can afford what they have and then some, yet choose to buy cheaper and better performing gear... one doesn't become wealthy by spending money on such items. An old saying "don't be pennywise yet pound foolish".

JSmith

vert

Forum Donor
What really pisses these types off is when you can afford what they have and then some, yet choose to buy cheaper and better performing gear... one doesn't become wealthy by spending money on such items. An old saying "don't be pennywise yet pound foolish".

JSmith
There's no way I could afford a $250,000 system but would never do it even if I could. Pound crazy, indeed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can't exactly remember when, but at some point once I started understanding that the whole hobby was essentially just bullshit, I got a big sense of relief that wow, the journey is over. I can just enjoy the music now.

Isn't that sense of peace wonderful? To be able to dismiss the majority of the nonsense out there is such freedom.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can try Equaliser APO on PC it's free .

I'm myself on the learning curve on headphone eq . I tried Oratyrys and Amirs settings for my phone .

But one quickly enters the "circle of confusion" how is this supposed to sound i was not present during the mastering .

But both Oratory and Amir and others that publish headphone EQ seems to try to address gross obvious deviation from a neutral presentation.
But the fine tuning you eventually have to decide for yourself . But when someone has measured and tried to adjust you are much closer to "right" than trying to wing it by ear only ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm honestly somewhat disappointed he didn't just tell me the truth right away, but I'm sure he thought there was no point. And I wouldn't have listened even if he did.

Do you have kids?

He sounds like he's learned to pick his battles, like most good Dads...;) He made a couple of comments, and asked a good question, and you figured it out before you were broke. Cheers to you both.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For some reason this thread caused me to imagine a new reality tv show modelled on the format of Battlebots...where a professionally setup blind test of two competing systems would face off against each other with a panel of subjectivists I) voting on which is the best system, and II) writing down the total cost they believe was spent to achieve what they heard.

The winner of the best system playoffs gets a design of the year trophy.

The subjectivist that achieves the best net match on system cost estimates would receive a golden ear trophy.

Everyone who watches becomes more objective.

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm myself on the learning curve on headphone eq . I tried Oratyrys and Amirs settings for my phone .

But one quickly enters the "circle of confusion" how is this supposed to sound i was not present during the mastering .

But both Oratory and Amir and others that publish headphone EQ seems to try to address gross obvious deviation from a neutral presentation.
But the fine tuning you eventually have to decide for yourself . But when someone has measured and tried to adjust you are much closer to "right" than trying to wing it by ear only ?
Yes, because you have adjusted or tuned your perception, improved it according to that as a baseline / a reference standard. ...Improved your neural network.

Andrew s

When looking for kit I am totally objective (although it has to look ok as well) but when listening to music a complete subjectivist. I just close my eyes and go with the music.

THW

Forum Donor
not really related to audio, but I can give this little bit of history that I encountered that shows the folly of complete reliance on your senses:

for anyone who knows anything about firearms, you would know about the M1903 Springfield rifle. good rifle, however a number of earlier production rifles had some metallurgy issues (generally not serious since those rifles in service would have to first pass inspection and minimum standards, real problems only arise when its combined with other issues like say, bad ammunition).

the cause? heat treatment of the receivers earlier on, at least at the Springfield Armoury, was done by eye; the craftsmen responsible would judge the temperature by looking at the colour of the metal. the problem with this was that there were windows in their workspaces, which let in light which naturally affected the perceived colour of the metal those craftsmen were working on. temperatures were off by 200 degrees Celsius at times.

the metallurgy issues were solved with the installation and use of temperature gauges for later production of the rifles.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good for you, man. Just beware you don't end up in yet another cult. The Enlightened Objectivists are pretty creepy in their own right. :p
Yes, but we have cookies.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Yes, but we have cookies.

cookies.jpg

haven't gotten any yet...

cookies 2.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Nice to read this !

I was a subjectivist once as in believing what the Hifi shop told me but a stubborn type too! So I bought the Sennheiser hd650 first and several years later the Bose QC35.
The latter not considered hifi by brand name alone. My ears judged differently.

I did buy into the cable shizzle and ended buying a few costing 100 euros or thereabouts.

I think it was because of working in IT where I began doing more and more technical work that influenced me. And finally a tip from a friend to check out a review on ASR about a preamp I own.
And before I forget: reading Geoff Martin's blog Earfluff and Eyecandy helped a lot.

All in all, it's funny how our brain can fool us in believing something is there which is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom