• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repairing Klipsch Stadium wifi speaker - possible?

OP
F

Freighter

It is going to a graduated troubleshooting experience in that the low hanging fruit will be picked off firstly and as things become more complicated they will eventually reach a point of determining that it's junk material.

Troubleshooting without schematics and parts is always a crapshoot.

So... this will probably require at a minimum:

1) (Do the visual inspection) Screwdrivers to take the power supply out and inspect it for leaky capacitors, bad solder or anything unusual to the eye. Use a magnifier if you have one.
1b) (Do the visual inspection) Remove the amp PCB and visually inspect for anything.
1c) Perform re-soldering as required and repair failed parts if req'd.
2) (Capacitor diagnosis) If nothing bad found visually then use a multimeter and a ESR meter to meter out the power supply capacitors and power supply by unsoldering stuff and then connecting probes and using the meter or just replace the capacitors and be done with them without buying meters.
3) (Test for change) Reinstall all connectors and PCBs and power ON and test for operation.
4) If proper operation end or if not then go to #5. :D
5) New flow chart required...lol.
Thanks! Just an update: we figured out that it’s a 100% related to physical temperature of the unit. Every single time if we leave it overnight in the garage, it works in the morning when we plug it in. However after it’s warmed up if we unplug it and plug it back in won’t work anymore.

We figured out that it keeps working as long as we only set it to standby and don’t take it off the power completely. It seems like it really has to do with the power being supplied when it’s first starting.

For budgetary reasons we’ve decided to just keep using it and leave it only on standby for now, and we’ll look into a repair at a later point. The home repair seemed a little too complicated for my partner so most likely we’d bring it to an audio repair shop.

dog666

Hi people.
I'm having the exact same problem with my Stadium, as Freighter, and its driving me nuts, but I don't wont to give up on it just yet.
I wrote to Klipsch, and they sent me the schematics for the unit. I would appreciate if someone could take a look at it, so we can possibly make some progress at pinpointing the problem.
I tested the theory regarding temperatures, and this is what I found out:
It's been a month since we've had power outage, and I've been trying to get the speaker going since then. I left it without power for a week, but still didn't start (just blinking WiFi button). Tried at least 10 times on several occasions. Today after I read this thread, i plugged it back to power again, but still no luck (room temp. 26 deg. C). Then I placed the speaker on two ice packs, and left it there to cool for about 15 min (unplugged from power). After 15 min it turned ON normally (WiFi orange blinking for 10s, then turned off and after a few seconds turned on solid).
So I guess this proves the theory regarding temperatures. Does that relate directly to capacitors, I don't know?! I am however prepared to replace them all, if you think there is a great chance of success.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Klipsch Stadium Internal view.pdf
    655.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Klipsch Stadium schematics.pdf
    325.1 KB · Views: 83
  • User-Manual-Operation-2043377.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

manounours

Good morning,
I have exactly the same problem. When it is very cold, it works but as soon as it reaches room temperature, it is impossible to start it. the blue wifi LED flashes that's all.
After some research, I noticed that if the wifi module is frozen, it works. I looked under the hood, there are 2 capacitors. On c223, I measure (welded) 987mf hot. when cold it is 450mf. on c220 I have 310mf stable. I tried to change c23 (220mf / 10v) without success. I always have a change in value between cold and hot.
I looked at the diagrams attached previously, they don't match.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
They make freeze spray that you can use to freeze/cool one component at a time.

manounours

ok. I got a new spray and I'm figuring out what the problem is.
So when I cool the CPU on this little motherboard, the unit is powered on and is fully functional. So I suppose that the processor is broken but... Once in operation, even if it gets hot, I can put it on standby, turn it back on, etc. but if I unplug it and plug it back in, the problem returns. I tried to reflow it without success. weird...

Top Bottom