• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repairing IEM MMCX connectors

doctorjuggles

I've recently bought an entry-level soldering iron with the goal of being able to repair my multitude of cables, especially IEM cables. Due to their size/portability, it's these cables that most often seem to break and, at the prices that can sometimes be charged, it's been a waste of money down the years.

I have a Bax Linum cable with a 3.5mm termination at one end and a pair of MMCX connectors at the other, one of which has detached when I tried to remove it from a pair of IEMs. I've scoured the 'net and most people have been asking about the female connector within the IEM, but I can't seem to find anything that gives a rundown on the male/cable side of this. How is it wired, how can I repair it etc? (Bear in mind I'm a total newcomer, so feel free to answer me like you might answer a small, not-very-smart child)
Hoping this is the start of being able to build all my own cables - looks fidgety but fun.

If anyone has a good site/link to start at on reading up on all audio cables, I'm all ears! :)

Top Bottom