• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repair amplifier or buy new

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd repair and use or sell. Looks like it might be worth a bit more than 700 euros.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all for the replies.
I also find the repair very expensive (and it could be 600€ with the added shipping).
I only got the information that the repair costs 545€. I have no clue what will be changed.
Ask your dealer why it's so expensive and what they do. If they replace both power amps as a whole go for the repair. 600€ for another 10 years seems fair then.

OP
B

Bliman

Yesterday was the ultimate day I had to decide. And I have said to just let it come back broken.
Today he said if he should ask if there is still some guarantee on it. I said that that would be great.
I have also asked why the repair is so expensive and what parts would be replaced.
I have now already got an email back and he said that everything will be changed, only the power supply stays the same.

Willem

Major Contributor
Some years ago I bought a refurbished Quad 606-2 from a retired Quad nl service engineeer for 350 euros. His refurbishment tactic was to replace just about every component short of the transformer and the case. In his view, that was cheaper and more reliable than testing components.

Karu

Forum Donor
Yesterday was the ultimate day I had to decide. And I have said to just let it come back broken.
Today he said if he should ask if there is still some guarantee on it. I said that that would be great.
I have also asked why the repair is so expensive and what parts would be replaced.
I have now already got an email back and he said that everything will be changed, only the power supply stays the same.

Sounds great, gives you an option to either keep or sell, basically all new in this case...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask what information you are basing your class d reliability expectations on?

Without knowing what the fault is with the Lyngdorf how can anyone conclude it is inherently related to it being a class d design?

*ALL* electronics can and does develop faults. Plenty of faulty class A/B amps out there ;)

BTW myself and Bliman have already discussed off-line so I'm not trying to steer anything ;)

Other things to consider are performance and sound of old verses new, efficiency and running costs of class a / a/b v class d

It really just comes down to the replaceability and longevity of parts. So, my bias is that the parts replacement in Class A/B amps is more straightforward and less inclined to availability issues than in Class D amps. This is based on the experiences I and colleagues have had in getting amps repaired and the associated effort involved.

Granted, my experience is more limited than others on the forum. Hence, my assertion of bias upfront. @restorer-john likely has much wider experience to speak from.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Again, I am biased. I have 20 year-old Class AB amps that are still running, close to spec. I’m a “buy-and-hold” audiophile, so I like units that last. Also, the older AB amps are still serviceable without complete board replacement.

Every audiophile gets to pick their own value proposition. My is “long-term performance”. AB amps can deliver that in spades, if they are initially designed and constructed well. I am skeptical of Hypex units because I’m not willing to trade a few dB of SINAD for long-term performance. Especially when speakers are involved with 10x+ THD levels.

I tend to keep stuff forever as well.

I run older Krell, Adcom and Bryston amps, and would likely just get them fixed if they needed it. I haven't noticed shortcomings I would need to 'upgrade' for.
Course, they are getting used less as I keep adding Active speakers.

OP
B

Bliman

My retailer said that he doesn't really trust Class D anymore. The reason he said that if something is wrong then most of the time it has to be replaced fully.
Now that is a bit ironic because here everything will be replaced as well if I choose to repair it.

Willem

Major Contributor
Modern surface mounted class AB with its many ICs is not particularly repairable either in many cases. My old Quad 606-2 could be completely refurbished precisely because it uses discrete components.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modern surface mounted class AB with its many ICs is not particularly repairable either in many cases. My old Quad 606-2 could be completely refurbished precisely because it uses discrete components.
Exactly. The class of the amplifier isn't important, the method of manufacturing, and custom components is. The beauty of older amps is that they were made using standard components and with through-hole mounting so easy to replace. There's hardly anything in a Quad amp one can't buy on-line.

S

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. The class of the amplifier isn't important, the method of manufacturing, and custom components is. The beauty of older amps is that they were made using standard components and with through-hole mounting so easy to replace. There's hardly anything in a Quad amp one can't buy on-line.

S

I like the standard, discrete, through-hole distinction versus Class AB or D. Thanks for that insight.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It really just comes down to the replaceability and longevity of parts. So, my bias is that the parts replacement in Class A/B amps is more straightforward and less inclined to availability issues than in Class D amps. This is based on the experiences I and colleagues have had in getting amps repaired and the associated effort involved.

Granted, my experience is more limited than others on the forum. Hence, my assertion of bias upfront. @restorer-john likely has much wider experience to speak from.
That entirely depends on the design.

Older designs that use through hole components, granted may be easier to repair, however new modern designs are likely to use surface mount which makes it more difficult, time consuming and therefore expensive to repair. That can make it an uneconomic proposition.

However surface mount is more reliable and allows more optimal component placement and therefore potentially better performance

This has nothing to do with class d, it's just the nature of modern electronics design and construction.

Last edited:
My retailer said that he doesn't really trust Class D anymore. The reason he said that if something is wrong then most of the time it has to be replaced fully.
Now that is a bit ironic because here everything will be replaced as well if I choose to repair it.
Did you end up getting it repaired?

Top Bottom