• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repair amplifier or buy new

Bliman

Hi everyone,
I have a hard time deciding to repair my power amplifier (lyngdorf sda 2175 original price 1495€) or buy a new one.
my Lyngdorf is over 10 years old.
Now the power amplifier is often giving a scratching noise. My audio dealer has sent it to Lyngdorf for repair.
He has said that the repair cost is 545€.
Now I don't know if I should repair it or go for a new power amplifier (like from March audio or such like the P502 or maybe a new one he is making).
I would like to know what you should do and why.
I have to decide today.

tw99

I don't think there's a very clear answer. If you like the Lyngdorf and it works well in your system, then probably a repair by the manufacturer would give you many more years of service.

You could buy a Hypex-based 252MP power amp for about the same amount of money, or a bit more for a 502MP based box. If you're planning to change speakers in future to something that needs more power, going for the 502MP might be a good path.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like tw99, I don't think there's any clear answer. Paying over a third of the new price just for a repair seems excessive, but then if they also change anything that may have aged and be out of spec, such that you get an 'as new' performing amplifier, then it may be OK depending on how important that particular amp is to you.

Equally, when you can buy something new, with a full warranty for the same or even less, there's not an obvious answer.

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's either throw away 1500 Euros or invest another 500 and hope it lasts for at least 3 more years.

Personally I find the repair costs on the high side but that can be expected for exclusivity.
They probably just swap out the whole board or the faulty channel.

Can't say if the fault is merely a dodgy contact, dodgy relay, or transistor doing this.

Karu

Forum Donor
Is there resale value close to repair cost? If yes, have it repaired, sell the refurb unit and buy a new 502 amp. Not creating more landfill and you get likely a more reliable amp.

OP
B

Bliman

Thank you all for the replies.
I also find the repair very expensive (and it could be 600€ with the added shipping).
I only got the information that the repair costs 545€. I have no clue what will be changed.
One thing I would like to know from you guys if you would buy a new amp (March audio p502 or maybe a new one from him). Or if you would repair it?
I haven't seen a resale value (can't find it second hand) so I can't tell. I think the value would also shrink a whole bit by repairing it. I have also seen somebody who seemed to have the same problem but on the right side in a forum.

OP
B

Bliman

I have decided to not let it repair it. I hope I made the right choice o_O

levimax

Major Contributor
I have decided to not let it repair it. I hope I made the right choice o_O
You might be surprised how much people pay on ebay for electronics that are for "parts or repair only". I have sold several different amps and receivers over the years and was pleased with the money I received and I didn't have to throw the equipment away or store it.

OP
B

Bliman

You might be surprised how much people pay on ebay for electronics that are for "parts or repair only". I have sold several different amps and receivers over the years and was pleased with the money I received and I didn't have to throw the equipment away or store it.
How much should I ask for it? Because I have no clue.

levimax

Major Contributor
How much should I ask for it? Because I have no clue.
I am not an expert on Lyngdorf but it looks like a model TDAI-2170 are going used for between $2,000 and $3,000 plus freight. With well know items it often works best to start low and let people bid it up but it is a little risky with "rare" items like this. Free advice and worth every penny but I would put it on clearly marked "parts or repair only" with a description of what is wrong with it and some nice pictures and start at $250 and see what happens..... since I have no idea your situation this may not be appropriate.

OP
B

Bliman

I am not an expert on Lyngdorf but it looks like a model TDAI-2170 are going used for between $2,000 and $3,000 plus freight. With well know items it often works best to start low and let people bid it up but it is a little risky with "rare" items like this. Free advice and worth every penny but I would put it on clearly marked "parts or repair only" with a description of what is wrong with it and some nice pictures and start at $250 and see what happens..... since I have no idea your situation this may not be appropriate.
Just to be sure my amplifier costed new 1495 €.

Soundstage

Sounds expensive for a repair. Does it come with extended warranty? The repair could be the price of the amp second hand. I would stay away from that brand.

levimax

Major Contributor
Just to be sure my amplifier costed new 1495 €.
When I sold old items in need or repair I got about 10% to 20% of the new cost out of them which for broken old items I thought was OK (Sony ES AVR and a B&O 5000 receiver). Your receiver may very well be easily repaired by someone who knows about them or someone may want the case (which looks nice) or parts for their unit or who knows. I am thinking you would get between $250 and $500 but again the problem is there are not a lot of "completed auctions" to look at like there are on other more main stream items.

OP
B

Bliman

When I sold old items in need or repair I got about 10% to 20% of the new cost out of them which for broken old items I thought was OK (Sony ES AVR and a B&O 5000 receiver). Your receiver may very well be easily repaired by someone who knows about them or someone may want the case (which looks nice) or parts for their unit or who knows. I am thinking you would get between $250 and $500 but again the problem is there are not a lot of "completed auctions" to look at like there are on other more main stream items.
Thank you for sharing it with me. Yeah, the case is very nice and looks great inside too. And is very heavy. 13kg.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am biased; I don’t trust the long term integrity of Class D amps. Selling it seems like the right thing to do. If you are not sure what to sell it for, you can do an auction with a reservation price that allows you to sleep well when it sells.

OP
B

Bliman

I am biased; I don’t trust the long term integrity of Class D amps. Selling it seems like the right thing to do. If you are not sure what to sell it for, you can do an auction with a reservation price that allows you to sleep well when it sells.
The seller said he is not sure of the longevity of Class D amps. I thought I would go for a March Audio. Because I hear such great things about Hypex and Purify here. But it would be great if they last longer.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The seller said he is not sure of the longevity of Class D amps. I thought I would go for a March Audio. Because I hear such great things about Hypex and Purify here. But it would be great if they last longer.

Again, I am biased. I have 20 year-old Class AB amps that are still running, close to spec. I’m a “buy-and-hold” audiophile, so I like units that last. Also, the older AB amps are still serviceable without complete board replacement.

Every audiophile gets to pick their own value proposition. My is “long-term performance”. AB amps can deliver that in spades, if they are initially designed and constructed well. I am skeptical of Hypex units because I’m not willing to trade a few dB of SINAD for long-term performance. Especially when speakers are involved with 10x+ THD levels.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Again, I am biased. I have 20 year-old Class AB amps that are still running, close to spec. I’m a “buy-and-hold” audiophile, so I like units that last. Also, the older AB amps are still serviceable without complete board replacement.

Every audiophile gets to pick their own value proposition. My is “long-term performance”. AB amps can deliver that in spades, if they are initially designed and constructed well. I am skeptical of Hypex units because I’m not willing to trade a few dB of SINAD for long-term performance. Especially when speakers are involved with 10x+ THD levels.
Can I ask what information you are basing your class d reliability expectations on?

Without knowing what the fault is with the Lyngdorf how can anyone conclude it is inherently related to it being a class d design?

*ALL* electronics can and does develop faults. Plenty of faulty class A/B amps out there ;)

BTW myself and Bliman have already discussed off-line so I'm not trying to steer anything ;)

Other things to consider are performance and sound of old verses new, efficiency and running costs of class a / a/b v class d

Last edited:
Top Bottom