• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Repainting Drivers?

mk05

Forum Donor
I am looking at my KEF R900's dull gray Uni-Q and black bass drivers. I'd like to add a splash of color like I have seen on the Reference and LS50's. Can I spray paint these drivers, has this been done - is spray painting the correct method? I am considering metallic colors like silver for the bass and ice blue for the Uni-Q. Will it affect performance? How difficult is it to do, will I have to take the drivers out, are there different parts? I don't care about damaging resale value since I bought these to keep. If it doesn't affect performance, why not make the speakers coordinate with my house remodeling?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If you increase the weight of the membrane, you will lower fs. This could affect frequency response, however the question is how much paint weights (probably not much).

Also. The rubber surrounds must be able to move freely. I would not trust myself to achieve a good result here. And if you can paint the tangerine waveguide tweeter...probably not. You'd probably need to remove the tangerine and prevent the tweeter from getting getting any paint on it.

I think adding speaker grilles and hiding the drivers behind would be easier.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Another consideration is that the solvents in paints may harm the drivers and/or the surrounds. May, or may not, but why take a chance? Unless they are sacrificial speakers you don't care about, then have at it! Otherwise, I agree with the idea of adding art to the grills rather than the drivers themselves. Or you could paint the cabinet front (or anywhere).

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
I spent the night researching this. In DIY cases, repainting was beneficial for some people, because the paint restored some integrity and stiffness to the cones - improving fs and fr. There were various methods (water/glue/powder vs alcohol/paint vs etc) to creating paint that works well. Someone did a test regarding the paint affecting sound by spraying an entire spray can on 1 cone, equivalent to 12 layers (that is a lot), and found that the change in measurements was extremely minimal.

Assuming that the sound will not be affected, now the question is how difficult it is to take the drivers out.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The KEF coaxes should have metal clamps that connect the cables coming from the crossover to the main driver. You can remove these with pliers.

FPSm7jcg.jpg

But you must be really careful, not to damage these tiny wires

DOTK1hVg.jpg

At least that's what it looked like in my LS50. I haven't actually removed the chassis from the front plate though.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
The biggest problem I see with spay painting of the Uni-Q is how to avoid getting paint in the narrow gaps between the waveguide and the 2 drivers.
Right, I was trying to find out if these were easily taken apart. Doesn't seem like it. Maybe tape the gaps and spray paint? Oh well...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What about airbrushing them? I can't see a problem with thinned paint and protecting the surrounds from the over spray. One of my Dad's first speakers had gold painted tweeters sprayed over the Philips poly domes. They sounded fine to me.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
What about airbrushing them? I can't see a problem with thinned paint and protecting the surrounds from the over spray. One of my Dad's first speakers had gold painted tweeters sprayed over the Philips poly domes. They sounded fine to me.
That's a good idea. Thanks for suggesting! I didn't know about that process. Where could I go for airbrushing (type of business that would do it)? I am looking to copy the silver ring color of the R900 for woofers and then a metallic color like on the LS50.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Where could I go for airbrushing (type of business that would do it)? I am looking to copy the silver ring color of the R900 for woofers and then a metallic color like on the LS50.

You can buy an airbrushing kit and have a go! That said, I bought a lovely little air-brush compressor and all the gear but decided after looking at some airbrush artistry online, I should leave the creative stuff to the experts.

I know they have some awesome metallics on girl's airbrushed nails. If they can do this, they can surely do something like a speaker driver:

1591769090330.png

https://www.wikihow.com/Airbrush-Nails

Top Bottom