• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Remote volume control DAC, options besides Topping E30? Tried using a mixer and cheap DAC and am getting buzzing, pops.

Muzak

I've been using a cheap optical to rca/headphone jack DAC with my tv and it works fine but the fixed volume output is too low sometimes and even too loud with other sources. I really wanted to have some way of easily controlling the volume with a remote and found a few DIY devices but I haven't tried them.

As an experiment I used a spare audio mixer I had to amplify the DAC output but there was extremely annoying popping and buzzing with it. I think it may be caused by my powerline internet adapters or some other electrical issue. There is no buzzing or popping at all if I connect headphones directly to the DAC which is powered by my tv usb port.

After searching for something to help with these issues, the Topping E30 looks like it might be a good choice as it has remote volume control and is probably a much higher quality DAC than my current one.

I have a couple of questions about it. Would I be able to plug headphones in directly to the E30 and control the volume to a comfortable level? I would like to avoid using an amp if possible and I want to avoid those popping noises. In pre-amp mode, is the maximum volume much higher than the neutral volume when it is in DAC mode? Does anyone have experience with it specifically changing volume and how many levels it has and how responsive the remote is when changing the volume?

The E30 is a little expensive so if there is an alternative option I'm open to it. Thank you for any help.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been using a cheap optical to rca/headphone jack DAC with my tv and it works fine but the fixed volume output is too low sometimes and even too loud with other sources. I really wanted to have some way of easily controlling the volume with a remote and found a few DIY devices but I haven't tried them.

As an experiment I used a spare audio mixer I had to amplify the DAC output but there was extremely annoying popping and buzzing with it. I think it may be caused by my powerline internet adapters or some other electrical issue. There is no buzzing or popping at all if I connect headphones directly to the DAC which is powered by my tv usb port.

After searching for something to help with these issues, the Topping E30 looks like it might be a good choice as it has remote volume control and is probably a much higher quality DAC than my current one.

I have a couple of questions about it. Would I be able to plug headphones in directly to the E30 and control the volume to a comfortable level? I would like to avoid using an amp if possible and I want to avoid those popping noises. In pre-amp mode, is the maximum volume much higher than the neutral volume when it is in DAC mode? Does anyone have experience with it specifically changing volume and how many levels it has and how responsive the remote is when changing the volume?

The E30 is a little expensive so if there is an alternative option I'm open to it. Thank you for any help.
E30 is a DAC and will to drive your headphones. U need E30/L30 stack or EX5 device.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As an experiment I used a spare audio mixer I had to amplify the DAC output but there was extremely annoying popping and buzzing with it.
What type of mixer, what kind of connection to what kind of audio setup? If that wasn't just a portable mixer with an external plug-pack power supply but rather the bigger kind with a built-in one, I suspect there may have been a ground loop at work. Although I wouldn't rule out issues with RF ingress entirely.
I think it may be caused by my powerline internet adapters or some other electrical issue.
Ewww... powerline ethernet is really hard to use properly for a layperson despite marketing claims to the contrary. Basically, those with the knowledge to use this tech properly are probably radio enthusiasts who in turn would generally be hating its guts due to interference issues. I would only recommend using it if you absolutely, positively cannot run a network cable or stretch a WiFi mesh far enough, and even then assistance from a qualified electrician may be required (e.g. when different phases are involved). Ironically, it's basically wire-bound "WiFi" und quite sensitive to interference on the mains itself, e.g. from rogue switch-mode power supplies with insufficient mains filtering.

Top Bottom