• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Remote Controls.

Wombat

Master Contributor
1. I have one for my integrated amp - I don't use it, I get off my arse to control it.

2. Ditto for the CD Deck.

3. Video recorder/ player - I use it for record/replay/tuner selection.

4. TV - all the usual stuff.

5. Oppo multi-player- use it manually.

6. Sony BD, etc. player - remote not used.

7. TV optical sound converter - must use the remote for volume control.

I am not sure about the Chromecast Audio waiting in the wings.

Are there any more that may be waiting for me?

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I was about to start a thread on what , to me , is a frustrating poorly understood device or application: The Remote Control. I have no expereince with the High End control system such as Crestron, AMX ( Still in existence?) and COntrol 4 of this world. I do have an above beginner level of experience with RTI and Logitech Harmony .. The last two , on most counts, fail... miserably IMO.
Let's take the simple scenario of someone who want to watch a movie on a HT gig, mine for example , with itPrepro, its amp , its screen, drapes, light and AC ... What I would like to do:
press a button and:
Lower screen
Turn On Prepro and put i on the right input
Lower screen
Dim off the light
Move the drapes to cover the windows
Have a way to have the appropriate most used remote buttons on a screen.
Be able to turn those things off

Well good luck with that. The system as i have it doesn't know the status of the devices so if for some reasons a command did not go through , you have to search through layer of screens to go to the device and turn it on ... All devices must be IR with the harmony hub I have and even if they could be controled by Ip , i am out of luck...
The Logitech IOS app is one of those useless app that were designed by a 2 years old ... enough said ...
It features a screen that makes not much sense ...

from there you have a system many family members won't bother to use...

What solution have you to this issue of remote control? What are you using for Remote Control? An idea of cost and amount of work involved would be useful. I don't mind programming. If I could have a Windows PC plus touch screen to build a system I would ... Let me know , let us know

Happy New year!!1

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You have to pick the components carefully so that they have 2-way communication, preferably using IP or serial. IR transmission can also work but depends on the device.

On remotes, I am not a fan of the ones with fancy screens which then require daily charging. I like the standard ones without a display that lasts months on a set of batteries. This is what I have programmed for our system and the family is quite happy and able to use it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to pick the components carefully so that they have 2-way communication, preferably using IP or serial. IR transmission can also work but depends on the device.

On remotes, I am not a fan of the ones with fancy screens which then require daily charging. I like the standard ones without a display that lasts months on a set of batteries. This is what I have programmed for our system and the family is quite happy and able to use it.
Details?

My Devices:
Intégra DHC-80.2/3
Subwoofer amp with 12 v trigger
IR Controlled Screen No Serial or IP
UHD BD Player with Smart Features
IP dimmable lights to be purchased

Top Bottom