• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Remote Control

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like remote control for my system...

It should have both some common, frequently used controls and a nice display.

Controls for Volume, Mute, maybe Balance. Volume needs to be on a knob, a real one.

The Display should be pretty to look at and informative.

Something like this:
e-270.jpg

Maybe put the meters side by side facing each other.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This could be done with a Microsoft Surface Studio and a Surface Dial. You could have massive VU meters! I'm not sure that's quite what you are after though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This could be done with a Microsoft Surface Studio and a Surface Dial. You could have massive VU meters! I'm not sure that's quite what you are after though.

that would be ok for the meters - is the Surface Dial a similar feel to an analog knob?

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx - still need that Accuphasy Rose Gold color

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've not tried one, but I have the impression that it's fairly nicely weighted from the videos on YouTube...
I've tried it but it has too short a BT range to be useful.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried it but it has too short a BT range to be useful.

It only has to reach to the Surface Studio beneath it. Of course, at $3,500, the Surface Studio + Dial is rather expensive (and somewhat large) to use as a remote, but the OP didn't specify a price or size limit :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It only has to reach to the Surface Studio beneath it. Of course, at $3,500, the Surface Studio + Dial is rather expensive (and somewhat large) to use as a remote, but the OP didn't specify a price or size limit :)
Cost aside, I don't want a tablet.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
at the Accuphase price level you should get a nice purpose built remote

What other control functionality is worth putting into a remote, as vs. getting out of your chair to go over to the faceplate of the pre-amp?

Novak

hi all,
Does any know if it exists a remote control that looks like Devialet's but using infra red?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Devialet'one is only Bluetooth, right?
Link to devialet remote
Cheers

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi all,
Does any know if it exists a remote control that looks like Devialet's but using infra red?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Devialet'one is only Bluetooth, right?
Link to devialet remote
Cheers
Don't know about the phantom one, the expert one is Zigbee, or similar. Neither is IR, or WiFi.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I guess I don't understand the fixation with knobs.

My two cents-

I'm not a fan of IR remotes. You need line of sight to the sensor and even then it can be hit or miss. Reliability decreases with distance. Universal remotes have improved significantly over the years, but they remain flawed. The Logitech hubs are the best I've found.

My preference is still a tablet and I like the iPad more than the Samsung I had. I have complete and reliable control over the system (including the server) without budging from my listening seat. I can use it anywhere in the house so long as the WiFi is good. It also gives me the ability to multitask while I'm listening.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimW

Major Contributor
Lately I've been thinking about just setting the preamp next to my seating position. No need for a fancy remote, just use the nice knob and controls on the preamp sitting next to you. Then run long balanced interconnects to power amplifier(s) next to the speakers or to powered speakers. I really like the tactile feel of nice volume knobs and switches.

You could do this with an integrated amp or receiver also but you would have long speaker wires. That's not ideal but it doesn't create much of a problem in my experience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
yes, just push them in until flush with the faceplate
I think you have been influenced by watching too many TV game shows.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I've ever watched a full episode of one - flipping past could still be too much influence tho...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm not a fan of IR remotes. You need line of sight to the sensor and even then it can be hit or miss. Reliability decreases with distance.

Manufacturers have been removing IR LEDs from their remotes to save cost for decades. Original designs often have provision for multiple LEDs or higher power LEDs than they ultimately fit. Combine that with poor placement/recessing of the receiver and you have the problems you describe.

Many of my older IR remotes can even be used from another room and bounced off the wall through an open doorway to function.

@Wes Why not just buy an older, high quality remote controlled preamplifier? That will do all you need at a low cost with high performance. Look at Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Accuphase (being as you like the colour).

Top Bottom