• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Remixing of multitrack titles for personal listening

arboleda

Forum Donor
In the last few days I've learned a lot about mixing output from multi-channel source material.

I'm considering getting equipment to mic up vocals and instruments for my wife and kids. I would play the role of audio engineer by mixing the channels into a stereo output for live amplification. The mixers I'm looking at will record the multi-track (think 16-32 tracks). This means that the live mix can be one thing, but I can later return to the multi-track recording and remix it completely. The mixing can entail all sorts of things on each channel - more/less volume, filters (pop and high pass), PEQ, compression (or not), and then there are all the effects you can do.

So having read about this stuff a ton recently, and while listening to The End by the Doors I found myself wishing that I had a multitrack recording of the song such that I could elevate the drums at certain points, fade out the bass at other points, etc, etc. But I would need separate tracks. One per vocalist, one per guitar or bass, and either one percussion track or better yet a track for cymbals, a track for snares, a track for boom drum, etc.

This is all new to me. Are multitrack unmixed commcerical recordings a thing? Is there a version of this song out there someone that I can remix to my liking?

(paused for googling)

OK, so this seems to be what I'm after.

https://songgalaxy.com/Multitrack/The-Doors/The-End/RE06536.html

My mind is blown.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Apart from stems that are released by labels or artists deliberately, I don't of unmixed music released that way.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But...
"All files available for download are covers, they are not by the original artist."

mcgo

There are a lot of multitracks and stems out there for songs you will be familiar with... *cough* soulseek *cough*

Top Bottom