• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reminder to consumers:(Probably) inferior SMSL SP200 Clone

Nango

Major Contributor
I have this amplifier and been listening for a few days now.
And I am wondering about the measurements of it too. I don't have any noise with it on the 3.5 connector with IEM (16 ohm). But didn't use the xlr or 4.4. As far as I understood from some people it should not make a difference in power since it is not a full balanced just like the SMSL.
I did use the balanced input for the dac.

The build could be better compared to some, but it is not terrible. If the chips are fake I can't tell (how can you tell?). I did open it to see if it looked okay. And it did look as advertised.

A friend of mine has the SMSL SP200. So I will compare them in sound later. But for the price I think it sounds very good. I compared it to a monolith liquid spark and a Aune X7s. And I did enjoy the sound of this amplifier more.

So now I am curious how it measures.

These are just my impressions of it from a users point of view based on my experience.
Now even labels like SMSL supposedly get copied. This is the cheapest way to (self-)allocate "prestige" to something it does not deserve it. Well done.

FireLion

I used a passive preamp to fix it for IEMs. It's a pity that linsoul didn't ask them to make it so it was more friendly with sensitive headphones without the need for the preamp.

It does get distorted at high volume on my Argons but it's so loud it's beyond comfortable listening level.
If you keep it within a certain range it sounds good. About 50-70% is as loud as you need.

I have played with some opamps. I might try get opa1656's and see how it goes. If anyone from Linsoul or F.Audio reads this I would reduce the overall power or put in a third gain stage and make it friendlier for IEMs.

I was using the 4.4 with a set of Voyager 14's with the passive gain dialled back about 20-25% and it sounded terrific.

FireLion

We have sent the product to the THX company and need to wait for negotiation.

Mandy, could you guys make a balanced amp with swappable opamps or at least opa1656 opamps and non-thx?

Sort of like this amp with XLR, 1/4", 3.5 and 4.4 but with 3 gain stages with lowest gain suitable for sensitive IEMs.

Many vendors are forgetting about the desktop IEM user.

fabien32

Well... This horrible knock off sound great when used properly, and have a lot of power! And the fact that it looks like somewhat the smsl, doesn't necessarily mean it is a reverse engineering. I don't know what is fake chips?! If they work that's not fake to me! Instead of wining, i think that's good for consumer that there is some competition. Cheers

antoninomubarik

Reverse engineering to steal and the theft of IP are wrong no matter WHAT your nationality is, no?

Top Bottom