• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relocating the PC

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need 12Gbps for a UWQHD screen (more for higher refresh rates)...

1634977550105.png

8K Data Rate Calculator

*edit* It drops to 9.59Gbps if you lower the bit depth to 8. Probably still too much for a 10Gbps link shared with other data streams.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's a 2016 build:

i7-6700K at 4.5 Ghz
ASUS Z170 Pro
32GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1070
Samsung EVO 850 drives

It's pretty insane as it still stands for anything "normal" in a domestic situation.

My i5 based main PC rarely ramps up its fans and is quite silent (really low RPM) during normal usage. Even when coding DVDs to MP4s for storage on the NAS it doesn't make a sound.

Lambda

Major Contributor
@Berwhale And how do you send your GPUs output over USB3.x and how do you connect your monitor to this usb Cable

@restorer-john

Even when coding DVDs to MP4s
For the younger generation DVD was the first commercial successful digital video format.
It's resolutions was so small you could view 10 full resolution DVD videos on 5,5" smartphone screen in parallel.
It's interlaced so only refreshing every second line, it was only 8bit per pixel but not even this because it used cromsubsampling...
So yeah not relay a benchmark for pcs in 2021

Chromatischism said:
I have a Laptop with similar Specs.
only i5 but one one generation newer
64gb RAM
And 2TB NVME ssd

It silent as long as its not under significant load and the Laptop (without SSD and RAM upgrade) costs ~300€

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale And how do you send your GPUs output over USB3.x and how do you connect your monitor to this usb Cable

Laptop has integrated graphics, so all I need to do is connect the laptop to the monitor with the appropriate cable (linked to in previous post). To pull off the same trick with a discrete GPU, you need an add-in card with a DP input (to connect to your GPU) and a USB3.2/Thunderbolt ouput...

The specs and explaination of the connectivity for my Philips monitor are here: https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/346P1CRH_00/brilliance-curved-ultrawide-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c

Lambda

Major Contributor
you need an add-in card with a DP input (to connect to your GPU) and a USB3.2/Thunderbolt ouput...
But this is no longer USB3 its "Thunderbolt" what in this cases means it’s sending display port over a cable with USB-C type connectors.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But this is no longer USB3 its "Thunderbolt" what in this cases means it’s sending display port over a cable with USB-C type connectors.

You need to be VERY specific when talking about USB and Thunderbolt. The numbers after the letters matter, plugs matter, cables matter and it doesn't help that naming of the USB standards has been ridiculously complicated (USB 3.0, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen2, USB 3.2 Gen2x2, etc)

USB 3.2 (which my monitor supports) and Thunderbolt 4 (which my laptop supports) are effectively the same for the purposes of connecting the laptop to my monitor. This is because TB4 support USB 3.2 (USB 3.2 is a subset of TB4 features and capabilities).

I linked to a TB card above because I couldn't be bother to search for a USB 3.2 equivalent (I'm not even sure they exist).

Lambda

Major Contributor
To me
his is because TB4 support USB 3.2 (USB 3.2 is a subset of TB4 features and capabilities).
I think your right here.
DP and PCI alternate mode is also a Subset of Thunderbolt.

But i’m not sure DP mode is a necessary subset of USB3.2?!
USB 3.1 can have a DP Alt-mode
USB-C_Protocol_Chart.png

indicated by the DP logo

But dose USB 3.2 need to have DP Alt mode invludet to be Called USB 3.2?
I don’t think so (but that's just a guess) because i have never heard about DP alt mode is a Requirement of the USB 3.2 spec.

I would assume 20 Gbit usb connection can be called USB3.2 but don’t support display

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It's a 2016 build:

i7-6700K at 4.5 Ghz
ASUS Z170 Pro
32GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1070
Samsung EVO 850 drives

The next system would likely be an AMD Zen (4?) based system.
I have basic Ryzen 3 3100 and a GTX 1060 which I run either OC'd to 4.35~4.6 GHz around 100W or in low power (38W requires going to bios to switch) mode with switched off GPU fans up to 65° C. Use Artic P 120 fans up to 1550/960 max RPM. Not exactly the most handy thing to do (going to bios to flick the switch and change fan profiles twice) but an option to get there regarding performance/almost silent operation.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have basic Ryzen 3 3100 and a GTX 1060 which I run either OC'd to 4.35~4.6 GHz around 100W or in low power (38W requires going to bios to switch) mode with switched off GPU fans up to 65° C. Use Artic P 120 fans up to 1550/960 max RPM. Not exactly the most handy thing to do (going to bios to flick the switch and change fan profiles twice) but an option to get there regarding performance/almost silent operation.

That sounds very inconvenient, to put it mildly, assuming "going to bios to switch" means rebooting the PC. Which motherboard are you using and are you running it on Windows?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
That sounds very inconvenient, to put it mildly, assuming "going to bios to switch" means rebooting the PC. Which motherboard are you using and are you running it on Windows?
Basic (generic) Gigabyte B550M, it needs restart to switch the voltage rails to "lo power state". Win 10/Ubuntu. But I don't do that often as this day's I mainly stream music from other sources and I don't mind PC in OC mode (noise or heat) when not critical listening or Gaming. OC is under Windows with CRT and Afterburner.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Basic (generic) Gigabyte B550M, it needs restart to switch the voltage rails to "lo power state". Win 10/Ubuntu. But I don't do that often as this day's I mainly stream music from other sources and I don't mind PC in OC mode (noise or heat) when not critical listening or gaming.

The reason I asked that on Windows there usually are some vendor software to control fans, power and so on, but not on Linux. My 2013 build using an ASUS motherboard and an Intel i7-4700K has this software to control fans, but I did overclocking along with undervoltage in BIOS (UEFI, really) so my PC is silent in normal usage. In a couple of years I plan to upgrade my PC with an AMD CPU when DDR5 has become available but a quiet/silent PC is important for me, but rebooting to change CPU power usage is a non-starter.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The reason I asked that on Windows there usually are some vendor software to control fans, power and so on, but not on Linux. My 2013 build using an ASUS motherboard and an Intel i7-4700K has this software to control fans, but I did overclocking along with undervoltage in BIOS (UEFI, really) so my PC is silent in normal usage. In a couple of years I plan to upgrade my PC with an AMD CPU when DDR5 has become available but a quiet/silent PC is important for me, but rebooting to change CPU power usage is a non-starter.
Well this is a lo power mode which needs resetting power rails, you can underclock regularly to a 980 mV (43W) in default state it use about 55W max. CRT is rather intelligent way to OC (three profiles; underclock, high utilisation and individual performance peak).

Edit: You are aware at least first two years DDR5 will be a healthy price premium.
Re Edit: early price premium is 50% right now.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Well this is a lo power mode which needs resetting power rails, you can underclock regularly to a 980 mV (43W) in default state it use about 55W max. CRT is rather intelligent way to OC (three profiles; underclock, high utilisation and individual performance peak).

Edit: You are aware at least first two years DDR5 will be a healthy price premium.

Like my current PC I intend to keep it for a long time and just upgrade/replace some parts over the years, as needed, but then parts should be available to a reasonable price as well. Depending on how big the DDR5 early-adopter premium is I could wait for a time, but my current PC is old and could fail, which means an entirely new build for me.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me

I think your right here.
DP and PCI alternate mode is also a Subset of Thunderbolt.

But i’m not sure DP mode is a necessary subset of USB3.2?!
USB 3.1 can have a DP Alt-mode
USB-C_Protocol_Chart.png

indicated by the DP logo

But dose USB 3.2 need to have DP Alt mode invludet to be Called USB 3.2?
I don’t think so (but that's just a guess) because i have never heard about DP alt mode is a Requirement of the USB 3.2 spec.

I would assume 20 Gbit usb connection can be called USB3.2 but don’t support display

Just to complicate matters further, there's also DisplayLink. I have a couple of Lenovo USB 3.0 docks that support DisplayLink and can run a couple of DP or DVI monitors with certain limitations on resolution and refresh rate.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a 2016 build:
Same Zephyr170 rig in a 4U rack mount for me.
[Window11 will not install on the i7-6700K (unless you have a TPM installed on the Mobo)]
We are both truly due for an upgrade. I am about to rebuild w/a Z590 before year's end.
I thought about the AMD but having a rough time justifying the loss of all the fond courting, dating, marriage memories with Intel. I also like Gelsinger!

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I explained in my previous post, I have a 34" UWQHD display connected over USB 3.2 Gen 2. USB 3.2 Gen 2 supports supports 20Gbps of bandwidth, which is more than sufficient to drive the screen at full resolution and refresh rate.

I guess the issue will be what version of USB is supported on your motherboard (my laptop has Thunderbolt). Looks like your Z170-Pro supports USB 3.1 which supports up to 10Gbps.
Well you've brought up a good point. The TB support is with an add-in card which I don't have, otherwise I have 10 Gbps USB 3.1. I guess I'll need to wait for Thunderbolt 4 to come to AMD then build a new system that can be relocated. I have an OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock so I'm ready for it.

Lambda

Major Contributor
How long do you need to extend Everything?
Maybe just buy a long HDMI cable an USB hub?

Top Bottom