• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relative Newbie Needing help with DAC/AMP Balanced Combo

Tukkuripso

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s as well as a pair of JBL 308p MK IIs and a pair of ADAM T5Vs. I have always wanted to be able to run all four monitors quadrophonically and have my headphones be adequately powered as well (600Ohm). I do however have a problem with line noise/amp noise/(computer switching power supply at 1000watts freakin' noise)/dirty power. To combat this I am planning on isolating my four monitors on a:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D017M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A2O1A8NNN5Y1TU&psc=1
As well as running optical output directly from my Sound Audigy X-Fi Pro to the DAC/AMP Unit (I can run dual lossless optical spdif outputs if necessary. Or one.)
In addition, I see no reason not to get a balanced DAC/amp and getting a combination device seems a no brainer due to both price and not needing to run further connections. Also, this would IMHO help with any remaining line noise period as both sets of monitors can accept balanced xlr. I know I can take one xlr pair output and clone it if need be with several different options such as little bear.
So here is my problem, I cannot for the life of me find ANYTHING remotely like what I am looking for except the Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC PLUS, which of course I missed the bus on and you cant get them now, and their new products are laughably scaled back it seems to me. I think somebody in an executive position at that company realized they were actually putting out a good product on that run and had to scale it back before the people get the wrong idea. :)
As far as DAC capability I don't care about 512/768 and all that for sample rates, it's not a deal-breaker to be 192 for me.
As far as the amp acting as a preamp for my monitors They are all running class A amplifiers I believe, not that that matters???

Wait for it . . . .

There . . . Like the American in Tijuana who only knows enough Spanish to get to and from the bathroom, I have thusly run to the end of my effective knowledge.
Please help.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want power+bal without spending a lot = d30pro +a30pro

OP
T

Tukkuripso

I appreciate the quick answers although I was looking for an all in one package. Is that heresy?

Shazb0t

I appreciate the quick answers although I was looking for an all in one package. Is that heresy?
Okay then, Jotunheim 2 with the new ES9028 DAC module.

You'll only have USB input though with the AIO.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Shouldn’t the Multibit be better?
Not if you define "better" the way it's understood on here, being lower noise and distortion.
Also not if you define better as the most accurate reproduction of the original input signal. The new ES9028 DAC chip is significantly better then their prior 2 DAC module options per their own measurements, which have usually been confirmed as fairly accurate here.

Top Bottom