• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relationships in design of computer power supplies and modern power amps, e.g. class D?

Multicore

Major Contributor
Some years ago I thought I saw some visual correspondence between the circuitry of computer power supplies and the photos of the modern class D power amp modules I saw on ASR. Clearly at the heart of both is the switching principle but I wondered if any specific advances in the art of computer power supply design helped or even allowed class D amp design to reach the level it now has. Perhaps even parts from one discipline were adopted by the other.

From the functional point of view a computer PSU is designed to maintain a steady voltage across a highly dynamic load, responding to the load with large variations of current. A music power amp is also a voltage source but now it is referenced to a variable input signal, and it wants to maintain that across a wide variety of complex loudspeaker loads. Meanwhile energy efficiency became a very high priority in computer design years ago and I wonder if this rubbed off on the audio amps where efficiency is valued but is often not primary focus of design effort.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Usually class d amps use very stiff switching power supplys. So in that sense every advancement in psu's also helps class d amps.

Top Bottom