• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REL Quake Subwoofer Advice

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am planning to build a simple amplifier switch box so that I can easily connect both my Onkyo AVR and Onix 2 channel amp to my front speakers. I have a REL Quake subwoofer connected to the AVR via the LFE output. The Quake also has a High Level input which is designed to be connected to the amplifiers main speaker outputs. The REL website suggests that both inputs can be connected to the same AVR (as long as the AVR is set to use LFE for 5.1 only and not 2 channel output).

In my proposed setup, with two separate amplifiers, would it be safe to connect the Quake's High Level input to the Onix speaker connections (or the switchbox outputs) whilst retaining the connection to the AVRs LFE output?

From what i've read, there is a risk of creating a ground loop or maybe blowing the Quake's input stage. RELs suggested setup for Class D and balanced amps says that the -ve should left disconnected (floating Earth) and i'm wondering if I need to do the same with two amps connected to the sub?

Top Bottom