• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REL Acoustics just released 3 new subs (T/5x, T/7x, T/9x)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
REL Acoustics just replaced their previous generation of subwoofers:
T/5i
8" sealed, 550 GBP (or 756 USD)
T/7i
8" passive radiator, 850 GBP (or 1169 USD)
T/9i
10" passive radiator, 1000 GBP (or 1375 USD)

As of today, here's the new generation:
T/5x
8" sealed, rated 32hz at -6db, 650 GBP (or +18% than previous gen) (or 894 USD)
T/7x
8" passive radiator, rated 31hz at -6db, 1000 GBP (or +17% than previous gen) (or 1375 USD)
T/9x
10" passive radiator, rated 27hz at -6db, 1300 GBP (or +30% than previous gen) (or 1788 USD)
1618346432751.png

Any changes in size, weight?
-Volume dimensions seems to be approx the same.
-T/5x is heavier by 5lb, T/7x is heavier by 2.5lb, and T/9x is heavier by 4.2lb.

How do these compare with other subwoofers?
I've already added them to my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet.
We really need to have these measured using the CEA-2010-A protocol!

Discuss!

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Small woofers, low powered amplifiers and no 20 hz performance (T/9x is rated at -6dB at 27 Hz) for $1800? I'll pass.

They even talk about affordability on their website. What are these guys smoking?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why do the feet say REL

deprogrammed

Small woofers, low powered amplifiers and no 20 hz performance (T/9x is rated at -6dB at 27 Hz) for $1800? I'll pass.

They even talk about affordability on their website. What are these guys smoking?
But they are "fast" /s

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Fernando

Forum Donor
The subwoofer is the speaker that gives the most economic performance and earnings to the manufacturer.

REL doesn't even bother to design them pretty.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Lots of 'thump' for smaller AV systems I suspect. Not sure many in the UK use subs for music reproduction but I could be wrong...

EB1000

They're not subs, REL took advantage of the audiophools' myth that subwoofers are bad for music, and came up with a sub that isn't actually a sub that will scare away the audio loonies. Instead, they sell bass extensions for smaller speakers, recommending a corner placement to compensate for the lack of lower end extension and a high level connection to assure the audio loonies that they are not adding a sub with god forbid, digital bass management... REL is recommended by BS audio's grandpa Paul, which help convince the audio-morons to give them a try...

ta240

Major Contributor
The youtube infomercial hosts will swoon and Paul from PSAudio will rave about them and they will sell like crazy.

[edit]
and the swooning starts; I didn't make it through the entire video but in the comments from the host: "no dsp = faster response, that's why REL doesn't use them. " o_O

...... a sub with god forbid, digital bass management...

The cheap little dayton DSP-LF completely transformed my super cheap, small subwoofer that I use at my desk from mushy to musical ;). I'm sold on bass management and surprised that some sub manufacture doesn't just license the DSP-LF from dayton and build it into their subs (and improve the app a bit)

Last edited:

damaged_goods

Then stick with your SVS subs, I'm sure they sound excellent when you're pumping that frat boy EDM at 17 hz.

ebslo

Forum Donor
Then stick with your SVS subs, I'm sure they sound excellent when you're pumping that frat boy EDM at 17 hz.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Many of us like to do some independent background reading on the topics under discussion. If you would like to do the same, then here's some material you may find helpful :).

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Has anyone ever actually measured a REL sub?
Yes, only 2 models were ever measured using CEA-2010-A protocol.
2021-04-19 12_32_13-Subwoofer Comparison (by @sweetchaos) - Google Sheets.png

The 2 generations back, T/7 was measured by Brent Butterworth (from Wirecutter).
It hit the 'small' room size rating.
As you can see from the photo (from my spreadsheet), it plays cleanly at 40hz, but drops 7db at 31.5hz.
It was later replaced by T/7i and then replaced again with T/7x.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not subs, REL took advantage of the audiophools' myth that subwoofers are bad for music, and came up with a sub that isn't actually a sub that will scare away the audio loonies. Instead, they sell bass extensions for smaller speakers, recommending a corner placement to compensate for the lack of lower end extension and a high level connection to assure the audio loonies that they are not adding a sub with god forbid, digital bass management... REL is recommended by BS audio's grandpa Paul, which help convince the audio-morons to give them a try...
I believe the CEO/president has a video talking about their subs, he actually said they design the cabinets to be musical instruments themselves (aka not inert). so much eye-rolling by me watching it.

Top Bottom