• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REL Acoustics just released 3 new subs (T/5x, T/7x, T/9x)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Bassmantweed

:(

the Rel sub was a recommendation from a friend so I came here to research. Looks like general consensus is they are no good?

what are most people using for stereo systems? I’m looking for a good musical sub.

bikeguy

:(

the Rel sub was a recommendation from a friend so I came here to research. Looks like general consensus is they are no good?

what are most people using for stereo systems? I’m looking for a good musical sub.

I wonder if you can try one out? I see there is a lot of hate here for REL. I've had a few different subs over the years, currently I am enjoying two REL T9i's in my 2 channel setup, very good, and would not want to go without them.

Bassmantweed

I wonder if you can try one out? I see there is a lot of hate here for REL. I've had a few different subs over the years, currently I am enjoying two REL T9i's in my 2 channel setup, very good, and would not want to go without them.

I can for sure. They offer a 60 day in home trial.

I guess i was just surprised as I normally find this forum to be prey fact driven. Is the hate due to the price or performance?

bikeguy

I guess i was just surprised as I normally find this forum to be prey fact driven. Is the hate due to the price or performance?

Take it all with a grain of salt, you have the best option of all. 60 day trial in your home with your gear, make your own decision.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Why do you think the hate is not in alignment with the facts? Both the measurements shown earlier in the thread(few as they are, only 2 models), and *their own specs* show that they have very poor low bass performance for the price compared to almost any competitor.

To establish that they're worth buying, we would need more measurements contradicting those... and also for them to drop their prices substantially. Subwoofers are a commodity product, they don't really sound different or anything like that. Most of their performance is tied to the hard physics limits of size of driver, size of box, and power.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Why do you think the hate is not in alignment with the facts? Both the measurements shown earlier in the thread(few as they are, only 2 models), and *their own specs* show that they have very poor low bass performance for the price compared to almost any competitor.

To establish that they're worth buying, we would need more measurements contradicting those... and also for them to drop their prices substantially. Subwoofers are a commodity product, they don't really sound different or anything like that. Most of their performance is tied to the hard physics limits of size of driver, size of box, and power.
Actually the T9x measures quite well for the size according to sparechange's video review.

Bassmantweed

I did not mean to imply it wasn’t. I don’t know enough to make sense of those graphs.
I was responding to the other gentleman’s comment about there being a lot of hate on here. I mistakenly took that to mean - feel some way irrergardless of fact. My bad

could you kindly recommend a few that you feel are worth researching.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
could you kindly recommend a few that you feel are worth researching.

Sure, this thread is perfect for that: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-comparison.20494/

You should be able to look at the spreadsheet and see all your options. There is also discussion about many there. Depending on sizes you're interested in, I think Arendal Sound, JTR(big), Rythmik, Hsu, Monoprice, SVS, and Power Sound Audio are all making performant, reasonably priced products. But there are many others in that spreadsheet.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I am not allowed to view this from my (work) pc.
Can we publish a top 10 list?
Sure thing.

Here's top 10 under US$1000, ported, sorted by best output for 15hz (#1 is better performer, #10 is weaker):
1. HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 HP
2. Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra
3. HSU Research VTF-2 MK5
4. SVS PB-2000 PRO
5. SVS PB-1000 PRO
6. Monoprice Monolith 10" THX Select
7. SVS PB-1000 (discontinued, but still available to purchase at a discount)
8. MartinLogan Dynamo 600X
9. Klipsch SPL-120
10. Dayton Audio SUB-1200

Here's top 10 under US$1000, sealed, sorted by best output for 15hz (#1 is better performer, #10 is weaker):
1. HSU Research ULS-15 MK2
2. Rythmik F12
3. SVS SB-3000
4. Arendal 1961 Subwoofer 1S
5. SVS SB-2000 PRO
6. Q Acoustics Q B12
7. Kef Kube 10B
8. SVS SB-1000 (discontinued, but still available to purchase at a discount)
9. PSB Speakers SubSeries 250
10. Kef T-2
Note: Audioholics's test of the SVS SB-1000 PRO shows it failed the 15hz frequency test, so it's not part of the list above, but it would be slightly be better than SB-1000, above 20hz.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
......Is the hate due to the price or performance?

I'd like to say it is the performance at the price that drives the hate; however in reality, the greatest hate here seems to be aimed at any product that doesn't fit the group requirements but still remains popular with the masses.
The simple fact that someone else likes products that don't measure 'properly' infuriates some that don't think anyone should enjoy them.

While informative, this site can sometimes be one of the angrier audio ones out there. I will give them credit for not deleting posts or banning users for disagreeing but there can still be a lot of pent up anger. But I guess that is the case with a lot of things anymore.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Sure thing.

Here's top 10 under US$1000, ported, sorted by best output for 15hz (#1 is better performer, #10 is weaker):
4. SVS PB-2000 PRO
5. SVS PB-1000 PRO
9. Klipsch SPL-120

Here's top 10 under US$1000, sealed, sorted by best output for 15hz (#1 is better performer, #10 is weaker):
2. Rythmik F12
3. SVS SB-3000
5. SVS SB-2000 PRO
6. Q Acoustics Q B12
7. Kef Kube 10B
10. Kef T-2
This is great! Thank you!

Bassmantweed

Sure thing.

4. SVS PB-2000 PRO
5. SVS PB-1000 PRO
9. Klipsch SPL-120

2. Rythmik F12
3. SVS SB-3000
5. SVS SB-2000 PRO
6. Q Acoustics Q B12
7. Kef Kube 10B
10. Kef T-2
Note: Audioholics's test of the SVS SB-1000 PRO shows it failed the 15hz frequency test, so it's not part of the list above, but it would be slightly be better than SB-1000, above 20hz.

This is great- thanks!

I’m not sure if it’s in the spreadsheet but connectivity method might be good to have. I don’t have a LFE connection option so I need high level.
Food for thought!

Bassmantweed

they push a problematic and antiquated connection system that goes against everything real engineering has shown us to be the proper way to set-up a subwoofer.

Thank you & interesting. Can you elaborate on this? I was wondering about the connection of the REL. my old definitive technology supercube 2 has binding posts (in/out) on the back. Then you can adjust the cutoff and prevent the speakers from receiving these frequencies.

Is this what you mean. By proper?

maybe I should just try my def tech

Chrise36

Major Contributor
We are making too much fuss about the connections.Their subs have rca too. My biggest problem is the prices although some models are relatively reasonable priced but build quality and looks is equal or better than other brands. There are other factors outside the last db at 20 hz that consumers appreciate like size reliability resale value production place etc.

Bassmantweed

We are making too much fuss about the connections.Their subs have rca too. My biggest problem is the prices although some models are relatively reasonable priced but build quality and looks is equal or better than other brands. There are other factors outside the last db at 20 hz that consumers appreciate like size reliability resale value production place etc.

not sure I follow this? It would be great to know if a sub could be connected or not. I use an older amp and can’t use rca. Not trying to make it about me but I think that would be more helpful than cani pawn it down the road.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
not sure I follow this? It would be great to know if a sub could be connected or not. I use an older amp and can’t use rca. Not trying to make it about me but I think that would be more helpful than cani pawn it down the road.
Can you describe your whole system?

bikeguy

Regarding REL sub woofers, you can use the high level connect at the amp end or at the speaker posts (if using two subs, one attached to each speaker post). This would be bare wire stripped for the connection. The REL supplied high level cable has a speakon connector at the sub end and three wires to connect to amp or speakers. See youtube for rel videos on connection info, quite easy. The REL supplied cable is 10m, as mentioned Speakon connector one end, and bare wire on the other end.
How to connect a class A/B amp to REL sub:

Last edited:
Top Bottom