• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Regarding the Oppo BDP 105D and it’s DACs

J77

Regarding the Oppo BDP 105D and it’s DACs how do they compare as I have seen the review of the Oppo 105 and the 205 but not the 105D. I am wondering how it would compare to other DACs? I am a relative newbie in the headphone world, my current setup is the 105D output via balanced cables to a Shiit Jotunheim, I listen to a combination of Tidal, SACDs, and DSD tracks. The main considerations for other DACs are as follows;
  1. S.M.S.L D1 paired with the THX AAA 789 though this is really stretching my current budget
  2. RME ADI-2 DAC possibly also paired with the THX AAA 789(For most of my headphones I have balanced cables) though this is also stretching my current budget
  3. Topping DX7s paired with the THX AAA 789
  4. S.M.S.L SU-8 v2(hardware v1.2 software v1.3) paired with the THX AAA 789
My current headphones are as follows, AKG K712 Pro, Audeze LCD2 classic, iSINE 10(IEM/IEH), Focal Elex, Monoprice M1060, Oppo PM2, Sinnheiser HD600, and HD660s

I guess this would be a multipart question, first how does the 105D DACs compare to the 205? Second how would the 105D DACs compared to the above mentioned list? Third is there any other recommendations you would have? Forth would it be worth it for me to get one of the above mentioned pairs? I also have the consideration of just pairing the THX AAA 789 with the 105D.

Thank you for the information and help

I am glad I found this site

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Regarding the Oppo BDP 105D and it’s DACs how do they compare as I have seen the review of the Oppo 105 and the 205 but not the 105D.
The 105 and the 105D are identical for audio purposes.

wadec22

Regarding the Oppo BDP 105D and it’s DACs how do they compare as I have seen the review of the Oppo 105 and the 205 but not the 105D. I am wondering how it would compare to other DACs? I am a relative newbie in the headphone world, my current setup is the 105D output via balanced cables to a Shiit Jotunheim, I listen to a combination of Tidal, SACDs, and DSD tracks. The main considerations for other DACs are as follows;
  1. S.M.S.L D1 paired with the THX AAA 789 though this is really stretching my current budget
  2. RME ADI-2 DAC possibly also paired with the THX AAA 789(For most of my headphones I have balanced cables) though this is also stretching my current budget
  3. Topping DX7s paired with the THX AAA 789
  4. S.M.S.L SU-8 v2(hardware v1.2 software v1.3) paired with the THX AAA 789
My current headphones are as follows, AKG K712 Pro, Audeze LCD2 classic, iSINE 10(IEM/IEH), Focal Elex, Monoprice M1060, Oppo PM2, Sinnheiser HD600, and HD660s

I guess this would be a multipart question, first how does the 105D DACs compare to the 205? Second how would the 105D DACs compared to the above mentioned list? Third is there any other recommendations you would have? Forth would it be worth it for me to get one of the above mentioned pairs? I also have the consideration of just pairing the THX AAA 789 with the 105D.

Thank you for the information and help

I am glad I found this site

The Oppo 105 was actually tested by amir - you can search for those results on the forum. it measured well, but not as well as you would have expected. you are better off buying something newer.

Any of 1 thru 4 will perform exceptionally well - and certainly better than the Jotunheim (also measured by amir). I don't think you will find audible differences between the 4. It really comes down to what you want for; features, build quality, service, warranty, etc.

OP
J

J77

The 105 and the 105D are identical for audio purposes.

Thank you Kal Rubinson that is what I was trying to find out, for whatever reason I thought the DACs were different on the 105D compared to the 105, will probably end up going with one on my list. again thank you

OP
J

J77

The Oppo 105 was actually tested by amir - you can search for those results on the forum. it measured well, but not as well as you would have expected. you are better off buying something newer.

Any of 1 thru 4 will perform exceptionally well - and certainly better than the Jotunheim (also measured by amir). I don't think you will find audible differences between the 4. It really comes down to what you want for; features, build quality, service, warranty, etc.

Thank you wadwc22, yes I read the review by amir on the 105 and was slightly disappointed in the measurements, for whatever reason I thought the DACs on the 105D were different then the ones on the 105, but now I know they are the same so I will end up going with something on my list. Again thank you for the information.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you Kal Rubinson that is what I was trying to find out, for whatever reason I thought the DACs were different on the 105D compared to the 105, will probably end up going with one on my list. again thank you
Yeh, the "D" version had the Darbie or whatever it was called video enhancement chip. Otherwise it was the same.

maciekb

Hi,

There is one (for some major) difference between 105 and 105D. The "D" version apart from Darbee, also supports DSD64 signal via USB. Version without "D" also can play DSD64, but only via network or USB drive. For example DSF file format.

Best regards,
Maciek

OP
J

J77

Hi,

There is one (for some major) difference between 105 and 105D. The "D" version apart from Darbee, also supports DSD64 signal via USB. Version without "D" also can play DSD64, but only via network or USB drive. For example DSF file format.

Best regards,
Maciek

Thank you Maciek, I knew there was something different in the audio aspect of the 105D compared to the 105

folzag

It so happens I have a Oppo 105 (non-D) and JDS Atom into Beyerdynamic DT1350's. Except for the Atom having more top-end power, which I don't really have use for, I cannot hear any difference between the 105's headphone amp and its line-outs into the JDS Atom.

Top Bottom