• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega Planar 3 - Turntable Setup

UltimateZo

Hi all,

First post here, so I'll get right to the point! I am looking for advice on purchasing some gear to set up my turntable again.

I have a Rega Planar 3 that I was running with an Onkyo A-9010 mated to a pair of SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers. About a two years ago I moved across states, and decided to sell the Onkyo A-9010. Sadly the turntable has been packed up since... but now it breaths again!

I've got $1000 (give or take a couple hundred) to spend on integrated amp or separates. I've done a fair bit of searching on both sides of the field and have been leaning towards separates. That way I can get a feel for how it sounds and start to form some preferences/have the ability to swap out specific parts.

The current setup that I am thinking: Schiit Mani + Schiit Vali + March Audio P252. These would be mated to the Rega Planar 3 and SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers.

Does this work? I know that phono preamps don't tend to have volume control so that's why I added the Vali in there (also the option for headphones now). Believe it or not, I don't want to run the speakers at 100% volume all the time :)!

Cheers!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
In my opinion, a proper phono preamp not only needs to offer multiple types of gain, but also allow cartridge loading via selectable resistance and capacitance.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schitt Magni Heresy (opamp) looks like a better buy than Vali (tube) and it's cheaper too.

Midwest Blade

Just something to ponder especially with your $1000 budget. There are some very good integrated amplifiers on the market with very decent phono amps already built in...Yamaha as801 as well as units from Marantz and Denon.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The Emotiva XPS-1 for $199 offers better specs and selectable MC input resistance (but still no capacitance tweak).

I would probably start with a decent integrated amplifier as @Midwest Blade said. The March P252, whilst a great amp, is likely overkill for your system and eats up most of your budget. I'd spend more on the front end.

OP
UltimateZo

UltimateZo

@JeffS7444 - I'll take a look into the Magni. Kind of liked the idea of having the tube and being able to play around with different sounds.

@Midwest Blade - Yeah I've seen the Yamaha A-S801 recommended in a few places. Also potential for the Cambridge Audio CX61/CX81, and the Outlaw Audio RR2160 in the approx. $1000 range.

@DonH56 - Agreed that most of the budget is being eaten up by the P252. I've been using the large table of amps reviewed and measured by Amirm to sort out bad/good amps in my budget. Maybe the March Audio P122 would be a better fit? Less power, but maybe I don't need all that much.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
UltimateZo

UltimateZo

@Blumlein 88 Yeah the XPS-1 does look to be a good choice for a phono preamp. The only issue I see with the Cambridge Duo is that the volume knob is strictly for the front headphone output, so I’d need some sort of volume control for the speakers.

Top Bottom