• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega iO

RoA

I am curious as to how this little Brit amplifier measures. Seems astonishing value considering it is built by a reputable long standing company in Britain.

UniPolar

Assembled and maybe designed in England - which is nice to see , with parts sourced worldwide I would suspect.....

Warranty , quality control, support and company longevity would be a major reason to consider this amp IMO.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
Exactly. Lets leave the tribalism outside of this hobby please guys. This is ASR. Lets strive to be better.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't find any measurements of the IO, but looking at the model above, the Brio: performance is certainly nothing to rave about and the power output is quite anemic for the 799€ asked...

I would not expect much from this (but ask to be surprised). Whatever it is built in England or not.

Last edited:
OP
R

RoA

I didn't find any measurements of the IO, but looking at the model above, the Brio: performance is certainly nothing to rave about and the power output is quite anemic for the 799€ asked...

I would not expect much from this. Whatever it is built in England or not.
Many would disagree ...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's wait for the actual measurements from Amirm he has just promised us.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The Io has been all but ignored or at least played down in many larger UK Rega dealers as it's been so easy to upsell to the Brio R I gather and which offers a bit more power. I spent a morning using an Io and at moderate volume levels into '85dB approx. speakers, liked what I 'heard' and also liked using it (I didn't need the remote control). It's £379 here in its home market, so somewhere near where the ancient original NAD 3020 or Creek 4040 (a once popular UK low cost starter amp) was, taking inflation into account. Dealer bought, it'll have a nice warranty with it and in the UK, the factory are amazing still on service should it be needed. Sadly, US prices will push it too high I fear for any real notice to be taken of it.

If older models are anything to go by, the board is 'stuffed' locally to Rega and assembly and testing is done on site, so this will explain why it isn't as cheap as other bargain basement models tested here and which cost next to nothing. It does have a phono stage and remote control though.

If Amir has one to test, I'm girding my loins for a technical assassination frankly, as chasing top measured specs aren't really part of Rega's electronics portfolio and furthermore, I suspect the output will be far too meek to generate any enthusiasm here. In its defence, it should have a long service life with any luck (the Brio R donor 'chassis' has been reliable I think for fourteen years or so and counting), where some of these cheap chip amps which seem to fly so high when new may not have been so lucky?

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dealer bought, it'll have a nice warranty with it and in the UK, the factory are amazing still on service should it be needed.
All Rega products carry a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects.

Every product we make is designed and assembled in the UK to the highest possible standard. This warranty covers genuine confirmed manufacture defects. This warranty does not cover wear and tear. Any unauthorised modifications or failure to follow the Rega recommended guidelines may invalidate the warranty.

Please see your user manual for detailed warranty information for your particular product. Your statutory rights are not affected.
My uneducated guess from looking at the picture of the insides is that it should be ok to repair, so there is no reason this won't last a very long time.
It reminds me of an old Naim nait, which I like.

Top Bottom