• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega IO Review (stereo amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 272 86.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 4.8%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
No food is actually smelled, tasted or swallowed, since this would give purely subjective results.

If they were reviewing the oven control board, would you expect taste tests?

Can you can actually "review" audio gear without listening to it produce er...audio? I'm not sure.

Does this device produce audio? Don't you need some kind of transducer for that? All this does is produce an electrical signal with amplitude, phase and frequency. Those things can be measured quite well...far better than our ears can hope to perceive.

If you are just here to troll, it's been a long week...

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I swear I was holding that sauce above the 'danger zone' -- it's not my fault those people got sick. Sure, my thermometer was off by over 10 percent, but -- to me -- I like the way it reads more when it's like that. I know it's not accurate, but accurate is boring and sterile!

:D

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Does this device produce audio? Don't you need some kind of transducer for that? All this does is produce an electrical signal with amplitude, phase and frequency. Those things can be measured quite well...far better than our ears can hope to perceive.

If you are just here to troll, it's been a long week...
I deleted his post as off topic in review thread. Let’s see how he behaves from here on…..

MacCali

Major Contributor
I deleted his post as off topic in review thread. Let’s see how he behaves from here on…..
Edit: Striving to be understood :)

That’s sad, but it is what it is. I consistently tell everyone on here not to attack subjective opinions. You are not helping the person by telling them they are wrong and actually further push them away from objective results and further understanding.

We wish to make our community grow, rather than great-en the divide.

Also in context, as I parrot this across our community and am one who firmly believes in measurements. Even a unit with 30db sinad doesn’t sound horrible, I own an amp in this region and I also own one which is 90 db at low volumes and world class at higher volume including dac and pre; those two chosen and tested by Amir.

I’m not saying there isn’t a difference, but the poorly measuring amp is not total garbage. This must be really be taken into consideration especially when these subjective guys show up.

Clearly if a 30 40db sinad amp or dac sounds good so would something at 70 or 80 db. That’s what I came here to tell Waldorf

D

Deleted member 50556

I shared my real-life listening experience of the amplifier which was under review, the Rega IO. I gave an opinion about the Rega's performance in delivering music entertainment. I also make a tounge-in-cheek criticism of reviewing audio gear, the Rega IO in this case, without listening to it.

If this is "off topic" then I am wasting my own time and yours. Happy measuring folks. Stay safe and well.

"audio-
word-forming element meaning "sound, hearing," from combining form of Latin audire "to hear" (from PIE root *au- "to perceive")"

MacCali

Major Contributor
If you tell any normal person that they are wrong ..... about the dangers of voltage, about pesticides, about dangerous sharp edges on some tool or whatever ...... they will at least listen. They may question where you got that info, or what makes you think that, but they are reasonable to converse with. If they find out there is graphic info to support your opinion, they will usually be eager to look at it, and it's my opinion that the majority will come around to your point of view.

I say that because I have seen that the vast majority of people want to know the truth, whether it reinforces the opinion that they held or refutes the opinion that they held. People put value on the truth.

The only people who will not be affected by logic or evidence are people who have already made up their mind to reject anything that is not in line with their preconceived notions.

Therefore, we are not pushing anyone at all, and certainly not pushing them further away from objective results and further understanding.

They are doing that themselves.

Jim Taylor
I completely agree with you and there maybe no way to ever change them. I just see it as if you got nothing to say besides what they would consider negative than just don’t say anything at all.

This thread is clearly not one of those, but I consistently see the subjectivist coming in to rain in our parade and people do generally make fun of or make mocking comments towards them.

Merely saying it’s best to not make us look like evil jerks, cause that will further fortify their subjectivity. If not that not want to partake with people like that as in ie I don’t want be one of those guys.

You know I really don’t like that guy from GR research and honestly doubt what he says is even true. However, at least putting that point out there after calling Amir Moe was definitely the same ideology I am preaching.

Let them say whatever they want, they are entitled to an opinion. Regardless where we are from people should have free speech.

In addition, regardless how you look at it. Most of us for probably the longest time were subjective when it came to audio way back before ASR. That’s how people start and may like us start to consider more factors.

Honestly I can go on and on about the topic. I feel like we get irked by these comments and can’t hold back. Just be kind, do you ever see Amir clowning someone? He explains clearly and concisely facts.

Something along the lines of what @BDWoody said. Not sure what the following comment is aiming towards but seems like it can go either way rather than be professional

D

Deleted member 49736

If you tell any normal person that they are wrong ..... about the dangers of voltage, about pesticides, about dangerous sharp edges on some tool or whatever ...... they will at least listen. They may question where you got that info, or what makes you think that, but they are reasonable to converse with. If they find out there is graphic info to support your opinion, they will usually be eager to look at it, and it's my opinion that the majority will come around to your point of view.

I say that because I have seen that the vast majority of people want to know the truth, whether it reinforces the opinion that they held or refutes the opinion that they held. People put value on the truth.

The only people who will not be affected by logic or evidence are people who have already made up their mind to reject anything that is not in line with their preconceived notions.

Therefore, we are not pushing anyone at all, and certainly not pushing them further away from objective results and further understanding.

They are doing that themselves.

Jim Taylor

How ironic. This is full of fallacies and assumptions.

Generations of tile artists have died from silica dust exposure related illness. They know that’s what’s killing them, their sons know that’s what will eventually kill them. They carry on the legacy anyways, without understanding why.

Astronauts know that spending extended periods of time in space will shorten their skeletons, and their lives.

You are lying to yourself.

MacCali

Major Contributor
How ironic. This is full of fallacies and assumptions.

Generations of tile artists have died from silica dust exposure related illness. They know that’s what’s killing them, their sons know that’s what will eventually kill them. They carry on the legacy anyways, without understanding why.

Astronauts know that spending extended periods of time in space will shorten their skeletons, and their lives.

You are lying to yourself.
This clearly isn't a right or wrong debate.. I am not here to fight you or even question what you have to say.

As much as you[anyone] doesnt like an objective approach I think you must consider the fundamental purpose of these measurements, not to waste your money like a fool.

You dont get paid to receive and enjoy audio gear, and some people will dish out loads of cash in hopes of reach nirvana. If they found it, great! Clearly some never do.

This topic goes either direction, and I say this because a subjective person needs to also realize one thing. This goes for objective people as well, that even something that has HORRIBLE measurements still sounds good/alright/Ok. If you check the lists Amir has produced even the bottom ranking garbage isn't as bad as you think it is. Therefore both parties are flawed at making a reasonable and logical decision without fully comprehending this.

Furthermore, if you dont even know what measurements the products you owned are you clearly cant make a rational decision. You must listen to the worst and the best to have a foundation. Even better, be able to literally listen to both at the same time to get a real conclusion whether it is blind or not. Plus, if you go from somethings which are in the 70 80 db range to flawless it's even harder to distinguish the difference

I am one of those people who by accident experienced this. I have an extremely well measuring system, 66% of it came from Amir's reviews and it is amazing objectively and subjectively to my ears. Yet on the other hand I own something that is probably the bottom 3, not top 3, of worst measuring components and it is not as bad as you would expect.

So if you get anything that has double the measurements of that junk I own, for example something with 70 dB sinad. It will sound good to you

I want to be very clear, I absolutely do not mean that the worst measuring products sound better than the best. However, it would be bring me great joy for someone to actually quantify that difference and unfortunately as of now there is no way to get conclusive results.

I think a food anology would be something to help you understand this, whatever food it is you love. Remember the worst experience you have had with that meal and think about the best experience you have had. Everything in between those two experiences you wont complain about and yet you find yourself steady in that 50+% zone eating consistently.

Simply enjoy the music, you can endlessly debate this and get nowhere.

As long as you are happy that's all that matters, and your wallet isn't empty chasing a unicorn

jdc1102

It is in the manual that the amp can get hot but I just use an electric fan to cool down the amp.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is the manual that the amp can get hot but I just use an electric fan to cool down the amp
An emergency solution in that case. If you buy an amplifier, you assume that the manufacturer solved the cooling in a satisfactory way. After all, it is not meant that you should have to DIY fix with a new amplifier after purchase.

jdc1102

An emergency solution in that case. If you buy an amplifier, you assume that the manufacturer solved the cooling in a satisfactory way. After all, it is not meant that you should have to DIY fix with a new amplifier after purchase.
For me the sound quality of Rega IO is superb, the only problem is, it's running hot. So my simple solution is to use an electric fan to somehow to cool it down. Any item that I bought when it starting to have a problem, is I try to find a way to fix it. The fan is also cooling me because the amp is sitting on my desktop. Simple solution for simple problem.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
So you’ve raised the noise floor of your room to listen to a poorly designed product?,

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny you say that.
I did that last year. I mean, I de-gutted our DOA microwave oven, just to see the cavity magnetron the tube and keep the magnets hostage.
A very boring and non-productive event: Not really a tube tube w/low grade magnets and a control board straight from the 1960s.
Some engineerdude does what I did and I should have just watched his yt "how a microwave oven works" instead!

MacCali

Major Contributor
For me the sound quality of Rega IO is superb, the only problem is, it's running hot. So my simple solution is to use an electric fan to somehow to cool it down. Any item that I bought when it starting to have a problem, is I try to find a way to fix it. The fan is also cooling me because the amp is sitting on my desktop. Simple solution for simple problem.
As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters. But any attempt to sway us past the current measured evidence is going to take way more of effort. We appreciate your feedback and glad you can join us

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad you enjoy your amplifier and that you've found a way to address the heat it produces in a way that doesn't impair your enjoyment.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters. But any attempt to sway us past the current measured evidence is going to take way more of effort. We appreciate your feedback and glad you can join us
I'm glad you enjoy your amplifier and that you've found a way to address the heat it produces in a way that doesn't impair your enjoyment.
I agree with both of you on what you say. What matters is whether you are happy and satisfied with what you have.:)
Forgot to say it earlier, welcome here new member.:)
In addition, if you still want a fan that cools you down, then why not..

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ivayvr

What bothers me the most about Rega in general (and some other British audio companies) is the fact that they try to do and succeed in making something exceptional in pursuit of musicality and even make people believe that. I remember an amplifier a few (more than a few) years ago that was globally available but they introduced a "UK voiced version". If that version was any better than the regular one, why didn't they use the modification on all amps of that model? The cost difference, if any, was probably less than a dollar.
Some 7-8 years ago, there was a lengthy thread on the What HiFi forum about a high number of owners of Rega Brio (previous, non current version) experiencing a noisy toroidal transformer. The transformer did not have any shielding and that was the probable cause of the noise. Some other manufacturers, like Rotel, are routinely using shielding on their transformers with no ill effect. Some "insiders" on the forum spoke to Rega and they were told that using the shielding would interfere with the sound and that is why it has not been used. I tend to agree, it would probably reduce or remove the noise. "Insiders" also told us how honest and nice people at Rega really are and whatever they do is in pursuit of the best sound possible. I can't argue with that, they probably are.
If I am to buy a vacuum cleaner or anything else, I don't need the designer to have a high ethical values, I just need it to be competent.
My understanding is that there is a relatively simple formula that allows you to calculate the size of a heat sink for the task at hand and to keep the temperature of the unit at the reasonable level.
Was the size of the heat sink on this specific amplifier chosen in pursuit of best musicality or in some other pursuit, we will probably never know.

MacCali

Major Contributor
What bothers me the most about Rega in general (and some other British audio companies) is the fact that they try to do and succeed in making something exceptional in pursuit of musicality and even make people believe that. I remember an amplifier a few (more than a few) years ago that was globally available but they introduced a "UK voiced version". If that version was any better than the regular one, why didn't they use the modification on all amps of that model? The cost difference, if any, was probably less than a dollar.
Some 7-8 years ago, there was a lengthy thread on the What HiFi forum about a high number of owners of Rega Brio (previous, non current version) experiencing a noisy toroidal transformer. The transformer did not have any shielding and that was the probable cause of the noise. Some other manufacturers, like Rotel, are routinely using shielding on their transformers with no ill effect. Some "insiders" on the forum spoke to Rega and they were told that using the shielding would interfere with the sound and that is why it has not been used. I tend to agree, it would probably reduce or remove the noise. "Insiders" also told us how honest and nice people at Rega really are and whatever they do is in pursuit of the best sound possible. I can't argue with that, they probably are.
If I am to buy a vacuum cleaner or anything else, I don't need the designer to have a high ethical values, I just need it to be competent.
My understanding is that there is a relatively simple formula that allows you to calculate the size of a heat sink for the task at hand and to keep the temperature of the unit at the reasonable level.
Was the size of the heat sink on this specific amplifier chosen in pursuit of best musicality or in some other pursuit, we will probably never know.
I had a chance to buy the Elicit R for like 40%+ off. When in search for a legit amplifier/integrated; which would have been my first above 500 unit.

I saw no measurements, I contacted Rega direct and a British lad I spoke with who was in the technical department or engineering which is who I wanted to or asked to be transferred too

He said he had been with Rega for 15 years and I asked you guys have no measurements on the unit. Nothing. Could you please provide it

His response was at Rega we don’t believe in measurements, we build listen and tweak until it sounds the best. I immediately said screw this lol, and I was already on the objective side of the fence

I’ve told this story before and the sad thing is I feel that was a lie. The top integrated amp actually has very decent performance, measured by a third party. Not sure how they managed to do that without any testing

Point being just like Hegel and all manufacturers they go so cheap on the entry level products that it’s basically in competent.

And these companies can easily get away with this cause even a unit with 70-80 db sinad will sound decent enough to pass as “hifi”.

Top Bottom