• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega IO Review (stereo amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 262 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
No food is actually smelled, tasted or swallowed, since this would give purely subjective results.

If they were reviewing the oven control board, would you expect taste tests?

Can you can actually "review" audio gear without listening to it produce er...audio? I'm not sure.

Does this device produce audio? Don't you need some kind of transducer for that? All this does is produce an electrical signal with amplitude, phase and frequency. Those things can be measured quite well...far better than our ears can hope to perceive.

If you are just here to troll, it's been a long week...

BlackTalon

I swear I was holding that sauce above the 'danger zone' -- it's not my fault those people got sick. Sure, my thermometer was off by over 10 percent, but -- to me -- I like the way it reads more when it's like that. I know it's not accurate, but accurate is boring and sterile!

:D

AdamG247

Strive to be Understood, rather than just heard!
Forum Donor
If they were reviewing the oven control board, would you expect taste tests?

Does this device produce audio? Don't you need some kind of transducer for that? All this does is produce an electrical signal with amplitude, phase and frequency. Those things can be measured quite well...far better than our ears can hope to perceive.

If you are just here to troll, it's been a long week...
I deleted his post as off topic in review thread. Let’s see how he behaves from here on…..

MacCali

I deleted his post as off topic in review thread. Let’s see how he behaves from here on…..
Edit: Striving to be understood :)

That’s sad, but it is what it is. I consistently tell everyone on here not to attack subjective opinions. You are not helping the person by telling them they are wrong and actually further push them away from objective results and further understanding.

We wish to make our community grow, rather than great-en the divide.

Also in context, as I parrot this across our community and am one who firmly believes in measurements. Even a unit with 30db sinad doesn’t sound horrible, I own an amp in this region and I also own one which is 90 db at low volumes and world class at higher volume including dac and pre; those two chosen and tested by Amir.

I’m not saying there isn’t a difference, but the poorly measuring amp is not total garbage. This must be really be taken into consideration especially when these subjective guys show up.

Clearly if a 30 40db sinad amp or dac sounds good so would something at 70 or 80 db. That’s what I came here to tell Waldorf

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor
You are not helping the person by telling them they are wrong and actually further push them away from objective results and further understanding.

If you tell any normal person that they are wrong ..... about the dangers of voltage, about pesticides, about dangerous sharp edges on some tool or whatever ...... they will at least listen. They may question where you got that info, or what makes you think that, but they are reasonable to converse with. If they find out there is graphic info to support your opinion, they will usually be eager to look at it, and it's my opinion that the majority will come around to your point of view.

I say that because I have seen that the vast majority of people want to know the truth, whether it reinforces the opinion that they held or refutes the opinion that they held. People put value on the truth.

The only people who will not be affected by logic or evidence are people who have already made up their mind to reject anything that is not in line with their preconceived notions.

Therefore, we are not pushing anyone at all, and certainly not pushing them further away from objective results and further understanding.

They are doing that themselves.

Jim Taylor

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50556

I shared my real-life listening experience of the amplifier which was under review, the Rega IO. I gave an opinion about the Rega's performance in delivering music entertainment. I also make a tounge-in-cheek criticism of reviewing audio gear, the Rega IO in this case, without listening to it.

If this is "off topic" then I am wasting my own time and yours. Happy measuring folks. Stay safe and well.

"audio-
word-forming element meaning "sound, hearing," from combining form of Latin audire "to hear" (from PIE root *au- "to perceive")"

MacCali

If you tell any normal person that they are wrong ..... about the dangers of voltage, about pesticides, about dangerous sharp edges on some tool or whatever ...... they will at least listen. They may question where you got that info, or what makes you think that, but they are reasonable to converse with. If they find out there is graphic info to support your opinion, they will usually be eager to look at it, and it's my opinion that the majority will come around to your point of view.

I say that because I have seen that the vast majority of people want to know the truth, whether it reinforces the opinion that they held or refutes the opinion that they held. People put value on the truth.

The only people who will not be affected by logic or evidence are people who have already made up their mind to reject anything that is not in line with their preconceived notions.

Therefore, we are not pushing anyone at all, and certainly not pushing them further away from objective results and further understanding.

Jim Taylor
I completely agree with you and there maybe no way to ever change them. I just see it as if you got nothing to say besides what they would consider negative than just don’t say anything at all.

This thread is clearly not one of those, but I consistently see the subjectivist coming in to rain in our parade and people do generally make fun of or make mocking comments towards them.

Merely saying it’s best to not make us look like evil jerks, cause that will further fortify their subjectivity. If not that not want to partake with people like that as in ie I don’t want be one of those guys.

You know I really don’t like that guy from GR research and honestly doubt what he says is even true. However, at least putting that point out there after calling Amir Moe was definitely the same ideology I am preaching.

Let them say whatever they want, they are entitled to an opinion. Regardless where we are from people should have free speech.

In addition, regardless how you look at it. Most of us for probably the longest time were subjective when it came to audio way back before ASR. That’s how people start and may like us start to consider more factors.

Honestly I can go on and on about the topic. I feel like we get irked by these comments and can’t hold back. Just be kind, do you ever see Amir clowning someone? He explains clearly and concisely facts.

Something along the lines of what @BDWoody said. Not sure what the following comment is aiming towards but seems like it can go either way rather than be professional

AlwaysSunny

Jim Taylor

How ironic. This is full of fallacies and assumptions.

Generations of tile artists have died from silica dust exposure related illness. They know that’s what’s killing them, their sons know that’s what will eventually kill them. They carry on the legacy anyways, without understanding why.

Astronauts know that spending extended periods of time in space will shorten their skeletons, and their lives.

You are lying to yourself.

MacCali

How ironic. This is full of fallacies and assumptions.

Generations of tile artists have died from silica dust exposure related illness. They know that’s what’s killing them, their sons know that’s what will eventually kill them. They carry on the legacy anyways, without understanding why.

Astronauts know that spending extended periods of time in space will shorten their skeletons, and their lives.

You are lying to yourself.
This clearly isn't a right or wrong debate.. I am not here to fight you or even question what you have to say.

As much as you[anyone] doesnt like an objective approach I think you must consider the fundamental purpose of these measurements, not to waste your money like a fool.

You dont get paid to receive and enjoy audio gear, and some people will dish out loads of cash in hopes of reach nirvana. If they found it, great! Clearly some never do.

This topic goes either direction, and I say this because a subjective person needs to also realize one thing. This goes for objective people as well, that even something that has HORRIBLE measurements still sounds good/alright/Ok. If you check the lists Amir has produced even the bottom ranking garbage isn't as bad as you think it is. Therefore both parties are flawed at making a reasonable and logical decision without fully comprehending this.

Furthermore, if you dont even know what measurements the products you owned are you clearly cant make a rational decision. You must listen to the worst and the best to have a foundation. Even better, be able to literally listen to both at the same time to get a real conclusion whether it is blind or not. Plus, if you go from somethings which are in the 70 80 db range to flawless it's even harder to distinguish the difference

I am one of those people who by accident experienced this. I have an extremely well measuring system, 66% of it came from Amir's reviews and it is amazing objectively and subjectively to my ears. Yet on the other hand I own something that is probably the bottom 3, not top 3, of worst measuring components and it is not as bad as you would expect.

So if you get anything that has double the measurements of that junk I own, for example something with 70 dB sinad. It will sound good to you

I want to be very clear, I absolutely do not mean that the worst measuring products sound better than the best. However, it would be bring me great joy for someone to actually quantify that difference and unfortunately as of now there is no way to get conclusive results.

I think a food anology would be something to help you understand this, whatever food it is you love. Remember the worst experience you have had with that meal and think about the best experience you have had. Everything in between those two experiences you wont complain about and yet you find yourself steady in that 50+% zone eating consistently.

Simply enjoy the music, you can endlessly debate this and get nowhere.

As long as you are happy that's all that matters, and your wallet isn't empty chasing a unicorn

Top Bottom