• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Preamp Review

Dgob

Is there a phono preamp that you would recommend for use with a pair of KRK ROKI 5 Gen 4 monitors?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a phono preamp that you would recommend for use with a pair of KRK ROKI 5 Gen 4 monitors?

Here is a list of measured phono preamps:
https://public.tableau.com/shared/D...splay_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y

Most are not recommended, but six are. I think for a budget system the best options are the Schiit Mani, the Emotiva XPS-1, and the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo. Cambridge Audio also makes a less expensive version which only supports MM cartridges, which is probably what you have. I'd probably do the emotiva because I like the form factor.

Dgob

Many thanks 617, I have a variety of MM/MC cartridges and so will probably go for the Emotiva or Cambridge Duo. I'm a little worried as I want to use this second, budget system as my main one now that space and a spouse make playing my main system impossible. Do you think the two items will place me in a position to hear near audiophile sound from a system that will include my Technics SP10 MK2 turntable?

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/446

Many thanks again, your help has been invaluable.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Many thanks 617, I have a variety of MM/MC cartridges and so will probably go for the Emotiva or Cambridge Duo. I'm a little worried as I want to use this second, budget system as my main one now that space and a spouse make playing my main system impossible. Do you think the two items will place me in a position to hear near audiophile sound from a system that will include my Technics SP10 MK2 turntable?

Is that your system, or the one you are benchmarking?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Both these products exceed the performance of the vinyl medium itself (noise and distortion around 82-90db below fundamental, vinyl has an optimistic rating of 70db from what I see, and much less in my experience.) As always, the fun of vinyl is dialing in exactly the sound you like with cartridges and alignment. For that reason the Emotiva might be a better pick since it offers a choice of different loading.

Dgob

Yes, Helicopter, that's my system: now consigned to our loft until the day (remote as that now seems) that my financial circumstances allow a change of premises (and/or wife). :)

Dgob

Hi Again 617 and ALL,

I just came across my Highphonic MC-D15 cartridge and thought it would be nice to be able to get it up and running again.

Would the Emotiva or Cambridge Audio be able to drive it with its 0.129 mv output? If not, is there another phono preamp (or step-up transformer) that you would recommend to get the best out of this cartridge?

Many thanks in anticipation

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Again 617 and ALL,

I just came across my Highphonic MC-D15 cartridge and thought it would be nice to be able to get it up and running again.

Would the Emotiva or Cambridge Audio be able to drive it with its 0.129 mv output? If not, is there another phono preamp (or step-up transformer) that you would recommend to get the best out of this cartridge?

Many thanks in anticipation

I'm hardly a vinyl expert, but you're going to want at least 66db of gain. Both products provide 60db for MC carts. Unfortunately, 6db is basically half/double the loudness of your reference, so you'll be turning up your volume a lot more, not ideal.

https://www.kabusa.com/pregain.htm

Step up transformers are fairly exotic items and I won't claim to know what makes a good one or a bad one; people seem to like them because they have a distortion profile which is unique compared to tubes or transistor overload. I do know that a step up transformer costs around 500 dollars at the bare minimum, so if cost is an issue you may be better served by getting a normal output MC or MM cart.

Dgob

Many thanks 617,

I definitely can't claim to be an expert on any aspect of hifi and so your help is more appreciated than you might think.

I noticed on the Workbook that you kindly supplied that Amir tested and recommends the Musical Fidelity MX-Vinyl phono preamp and that this has the option of a 0 dB and a +6 dB gain setting. Although currently beyond my price point, do you think that (once saved for) this might enable me to get the best out of my Highphonic? I ask because I would dearly love to be able to play it within the confines of the budget(ish) system that I am trying to establish.

Again, my gratitude precedes your anticipated response

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks 617,

I definitely can't claim to be an expert on any aspect of hifi and so your help is more appreciated than you might think.

I noticed on the Workbook that you kindly supplied that Amir tested and recommends the Musical Fidelity MX-Vinyl phono preamp and that this has the option of a 0 dB and a +6 dB gain setting. Although currently beyond my price point, do you think that (once saved for) this might enable me to get the best out of my Highphonic? I ask because I would dearly love to be able to play it within the confines of the budget(ish) system that I am trying to establish.

Again, my gratitude precedes your anticipated response

ASR has a lot of people far more knowledgeable about phono stuff than me! I would encourage you to make a new thread with your questions, there are some people here with very high end phono setups.

Regarding the gain of the MF unit, it appears to be 57-63db with and without the switch. I think 63db would still be on the quiet side for your cartridge, but I would encourage you to make a dedicated thread to get some of the more knowledgeable people to contribute.

Here are some other options:
$500 - Rega Phono MC - Up to 69db
$1500 - Rega Aria mkIII - Up to 69db
$6000 - Rega Aura - Up to 69db
$400 - Pro-Ject Phono Box DS2 - Up to 65db
$1000 - Pro-Ject Phono Box RS - Up to 66db on the XLR outputs
$2000 - Pro-Ject Phono Box RS2 - Up to 70db, or 76db with XLR(!)

If I were in your shoes, and I really wanted to keep using that low output MC, and I wanted to really get into vinyl, I'd probably get the Phono Box RS, because it's not outrageously expensive, but it has continuously variable impedance, rumble filter, Decca/RIAA curves, lots of options. Also has balanced connections, which is great for avoiding ground loops and noise. For a bit less money I'd go with the Pro-Ject Phono Box DS2, which has buttons on the front for loading impedance, capacitance and gain.

Pro-Ject has had a few items reviewed on ASR and they seem to do okay, certainly good enough for vinyl.

Dgob

Hi 617,

That's excellent. I own thousands of records and so I really do need a decent set-up in order to enjoy them. After reading your above suggestions, I have looked into the Phono Box RS2 and am excited enough to say that I will start putting the pennies aside in order to buy one.

From everything that I've read since your suggestion, I think this will meet all my vinyl amplification needs n ow and into the future. So I won't bother taxing others by starting a new thread. I am more than happy to say that my decision is made. Thank you so much.

In the meantime, I can get on with sorting out my CD player. At present, I am using a Marantz CD63 MK2 KI Signature and enjoying what I'm hearing through the KRK Rokit monitors, which are a perfect fit for my small-ish listening room. I will need to wait until I get my Marantz CD7 repaired before I can get back to higher levels of enjoyment.

I don't suppose anyone would know of a better (more neutral and accurate) CD player that would exceed the performance of my CD7 and therefore remove the need of my having it repaired? :)

Dgob

Sorry,

But the way I posed this question might be part of the reason why it received no response. However, I cannot believe that in the intervening decades since I bought my CD7, that DACS and cdp performance have not moved on considerably. What I would love to find is a cdp that provides greater neutrality, transparency, detail, and accuracy than my now aging Marantz. It was in this light that I asked if:

"anyone would know of a better (more neutral and accurate) CD player that would exceed the performance of my CD7 and therefore remove the need of my having it repaired?"

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry,

But the way I posed this question might be part of the reason why it received no response. However, I cannot believe that in the intervening decades since I bought my CD7, that DACS and cdp performance have not moved on considerably. What I would love to find is a cdp that provides greater neutrality, transparency, detail, and accuracy than my now aging Marantz. It was in this light that I asked if:

"anyone would know of a better (more neutral and accurate) CD player that would exceed the performance of my CD7 and therefore remove the need of my having it repaired?"

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

You can use your current CD player as a transport, and use its optical or coaxial outputs to feed a standalone DAC. Fortunately this is one area where technology has progressed immensely, and you can have audibly perfect audio from your CD collection for a minimal outlay.

You can get, for example, a Topping E30:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/

Which produces noise and distortion that is 112db quieter than the main signal. It surpasses the physical limitations of the CD format by 16db.
I can't say it will sound better, but I can say that the performance from a technical perspective is effectively perfect.

Personally I don't have a CD player now, but if I did I would get a vintage machine which I enjoyed operating, and feed it into a modern DAC like the Topping.

Last edited:

Dgob

You can use your current CD player as a transport, and use its optical or coaxial outputs to feed a standalone DAC. Fortunately this is one area where technology has progressed immensely, and you can have audibly perfect audio from your CD collection for a minimal outlay.

You can get, for example, a Topping E30:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/

Which produces noise and distortion that is 112db quieter than the main signal. It surpasses the physical limitations of the CD format by 16db.
I can't say it will sound better, but I can say that the performance from a technical perspective is effectively perfect.

Personally I don't have a CD player now, but if I did I would get a vintage machine which I enjoyed operating, and feed it into a modern DAC like the Topping.
Thanks again,

That was exactly the type of information and suggestion that I was seeking. I will now look into getting the Topping E30. Would that apply to its being used on both/either of my Marnatz's: the CD63 KI and/or CD7?

If so, I can delay the outlay that I have been quoted to have the latter repaired and invest that in the suggested DAC.

Dgob

Thanks again,

That was exactly the type of information and suggestion that I was seeking. I will now look into getting the Topping E30. Would that apply to its being used on both/either of my Marnatz's: the CD63 KI and/or CD7?

If so, I can delay the outlay that I have been quoted to have the latter repaired and invest that in the suggested DAC.
One other thing,

How would I connect and set it up with my CDP?

DSJR

Major Contributor
That Marantz player was the rave best thing at the time, but may make for a jittery transport if Paul Millar's old tests are anything to go by. A modern dac may well smooth the ragged sonic edges out though..

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again,

Any fairly nice CD player will have digital outputs, generally in two forms. One is the TOSLINK port, which is a little rectangular opening with a tiny door over it. This is sometimes labeled 'optical' because it uses a fiber optic connection to send the ones and zeroes. The other is 'Coaxial' which looks like a normal RCA connector, but also requires a special cable. I prefer the coaxial connector because the fiber optic cables tend to be a bit less flexible, but either will work perfectly. In either case you will need a specific cable; a normal RCA won't work for the coax connection.

All you do is connect the cable to the correct digital output/input and select the proper input in the DAC if it doesn't just start playing automatically.

Top Bottom