• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Preamp Review

Dgob

Cds ripped to lossless format and spotify streamed to my phone, my stereo, speakers and headphones. I have a turntable (sl1200 mkii) but I'm not using it at present.
Hi 617,

What software or source would you recommend to someone thinking of going down the lossless HRA route using an old laptop?

Many thanks again

Dgob

You should be able to find all the reviews by going to 'Review Index' and navigating through the 'search' tab for your desired item and reviewer (amirm, etc.)

Rolli666

Turntables, phono cartridges and accessories is the most ridiculously overpriced sector of the hi-fi hobby. Rega especially. I've never seen so much audiophile voodoo as in the vinyl cult. Mostly plastic and MDF construction. They would invent a technical name for amalgamated dog shit if it was cheaper to use than all the other bubble gum and saw dust. Almost all of the new records are being produced with digital masters. What a joke.
No they are not

ExPerfectionist

I'm considering the Mk 5 of this product. This line seems to get a lot of recognition and awards, but doesn't "rate" well here. I'm wondering what parameters make a good phono pre-amp besides just the SINAD? Is it the frequency response linearity? What is the difference and why would some phono pre-amps cost thousands of dollars? Are there other things that make them better and better-sounding besides better SINAD and flatter RIAA equalization?

This is from a Whathifi "best phono preamps" article

"The Rega Fono MM MK2 was one of the finest phono stages available, so to say expectations were high for its successor is a bit of an understatement. Thankfully, it meets them and then some. The MM MK3's basic design has been fine-tuned within an inch of its life, making for a much sleeker product that retains the winning simplicity of its predecessor.

The Award-winning sound of the MK3 now has a greater dynamic range, tauter bass and greater clarity, making an already fantastic performance even better. A wide-open soundstage, masterful handling of timing and dynamics (no surprise given Rega's enviable track record with amplifiers and turntables) and reduced noise levels elevate the performance even further.

Rega advises you to only use the supplied PS1 mains plug with the phono preamp - a replacement will set you back around £20. Easily one of the best sound-for-pound phono preamps around."

I currently have a Rega Fono Mini A2D paired with a U-Turn Orbit Plus with an AT VM540ML cartridge. Considering a phono pre-amp upgrade and am looking at the Rega Fono MM Mk 5, and the Schiit Mani 2.

Thanks for the input!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm considering the Mk 5 of this product. This line seems to get a lot of recognition and awards, but doesn't "rate" well here. I'm wondering what parameters make a good phono pre-amp besides just the SINAD? Is it the frequency response linearity? What is the difference and why would some phono pre-amps cost thousands of dollars? Are there other things that make them better and better-sounding besides better SINAD and flatter RIAA equalization?

This is from a Whathifi "best phono preamps" article

"The Rega Fono MM MK2 was one of the finest phono stages available, so to say expectations were high for its successor is a bit of an understatement. Thankfully, it meets them and then some. The MM MK3's basic design has been fine-tuned within an inch of its life, making for a much sleeker product that retains the winning simplicity of its predecessor.

The Award-winning sound of the MK3 now has a greater dynamic range, tauter bass and greater clarity, making an already fantastic performance even better. A wide-open soundstage, masterful handling of timing and dynamics (no surprise given Rega's enviable track record with amplifiers and turntables) and reduced noise levels elevate the performance even further.

Rega advises you to only use the supplied PS1 mains plug with the phono preamp - a replacement will set you back around £20. Easily one of the best sound-for-pound phono preamps around."

I currently have a Rega Fono Mini A2D paired with a U-Turn Orbit Plus with an AT VM540ML cartridge. Considering a phono pre-amp upgrade and am looking at the Rega Fono MM Mk 5, and the Schiit Mani 2.

Thanks for the input!
WhatHiFi is not even a vaguely credible source. "The Award-winning sound of the MK3 now has a greater dynamic range, tauter bass and greater clarity, making an already fantastic performance even better. A wide-open soundstage, masterful handling of timing and dynamics (no surprise given Rega's enviable track record with amplifiers and turntables) and reduced noise levels elevate the performance even further," is the sort of pure fantasy that happens when "listening tests" are done with absolutely no basic controls.

For phono stages, SINAD is not terribly important once it's better than 80-85dB or so, since the cartridge/record will be the limitations. It should be noted that in the tests shown on ASR, the noise is not measured using a cartridge connected to the input, so any current noise at the input is missed entirely. For MCs, this is likely to not be an issue, but for MM, it very much can be. So there's one more reason to not be guided by SINAD- for MM stages, it's not measured correctly in the first place.

Important stuff includes RIAA conformance and matching between channels, overload capabilities, input impedance (especially capacitance for MM stages, where the specs are often inaccurate), and overall noise (including effects from current noise). For some "special" phono stages, i.e., ones thrown together by incompetent designers and marketed to the fashion audio crowd, there can be all sorts of other weird effects- for example, the phono stage from Lounge that both Amir and I tested had a frequency response that varied with level- but that's easily avoidable by staying away from boutique stuff.

ExPerfectionist

WhatHiFi is not even a vaguely credible source. "The Award-winning sound of the MK3 now has a greater dynamic range, tauter bass and greater clarity, making an already fantastic performance even better. A wide-open soundstage, masterful handling of timing and dynamics (no surprise given Rega's enviable track record with amplifiers and turntables) and reduced noise levels elevate the performance even further," is the sort of pure fantasy that happens when "listening tests" are done with absolutely no basic controls.

For phono stages, SINAD is not terribly important once it's better than 80-85dB or so, since the cartridge/record will be the limitations. It should be noted that in the tests shown on ASR, the noise is not measured using a cartridge connected to the input, so any current noise at the input is missed entirely. For MCs, this is likely to not be an issue, but for MM, it very much can be. So there's one more reason to not be guided by SINAD- for MM stages, it's not measured correctly in the first place.

Important stuff includes RIAA conformance and matching between channels, overload capabilities, input impedance (especially capacitance for MM stages, where the specs are often inaccurate), and overall noise (including effects from current noise). For some "special" phono stages, i.e., ones thrown together by incompetent designers and marketed to the fashion audio crowd, there can be all sorts of other weird effects- for example, the phono stage from Lounge that both Amir and I tested had a frequency response that varied with level- but that's easily avoidable by staying away from boutique stuff.

What would you consider "boutique" stuff to avoid? Is there a way to tell without actually combining it in the signal chain with your own TT and cartridge? Besides the Rega MM Mk 5, I'm looking at the Schiit Mani 2 as the measurements look clean and the RIAA frequency response is very flat.

Aaron1

With respect overload (making pops and clicks sound worse than they have to), we get good bit of headroom:
Sorry, just ready to play the vinyl record player, would like to ask if this means 56mV is enough or not enough? Does the greater the value solve the noise? Does it sound any different before or after

Bogda

Conclusions
The Fono MM performance is fine. Nothing is broken. It is just that at $400 you are paying more for the brand than features and looks. I leave it up to you to decide if it is a good deal or not.
Whan the original review was done Rega MM Mk3, was roughly 35% more expensive than Cambridge Duo. Now Cambridge Duo is around 35% more expensive than Rega MM Mk5, at least where I live. Much tougher decision now for someone who does not plan going MC.

Top Bottom