• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega Elex-R with Dali Rubicon 5? Buying a used Yamaha a-s700?

Potatis85

Hello!

I have used my Rega Elex-R with my Dalí Zensor 5 speakers for maybe 8 years now but have just pulled the trigger on a pair of Rubicon 5´s.
They recommend 60-150watt into 4 ohm on the Dalí homepage but the Elex-R has no ratings for 4-ohms at all.

"72 W per channel into 8 Ω, 90 W per channel into 6 Ω"

Will something get overheated? Break? Distortion? (At "normal" listening levels, room is 3x4m in an apartment block)
I have a chance of buying a used Yamaha A-S700 for 2000nok (circa 200usd) and maybe I could sell my Rega Elex-R for around 6-8000nok (6-800usd).
What is the build quality of the Yamaha, is the volume knob metal? Does it feel good?
The Rega is a heavy piece of gear and most of it is metal and is a lot smaller than the Yamaha as well and I already own it so would be the easiest choice. Not sure if the A-S700 will support banana plugs as well (Yamaha homepage says this "Connecting via banana plug (Except for Asia, Korea, U.K. and Europe models)") as this is a Norwegian model.

Thank you!

OP
P

Potatis85

... I can safely say that the Rega has no problem in driving these 4ohm speakers and they sound amazing! I have never experienced music this way and compared to my Zensor 5 there is no contest.

JktHifi

... I can safely say that the Rega has no problem in driving these 4ohm speakers and they sound amazing! I have never experienced music this way and compared to my Zensor 5 there is no contest.
Passive speakers is better than active

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Passive speakers is better than active
Funny part is that Dali Zosters (2 and 5) are declared as 4 Ohms but their minimal impedance is 4.8 Ohms and normalised above 5 Ohms while being easy to drive so they won't have any problems with even amplifiers that are not tolerant to lo impedance loads (rated as 6 Ohms min) which most AB class Yamahas are.
Contrary there are speakers that are 8 Ohms rated and deep to 3 Ohms or even under and not so easy to drive (won't name manufacturer).

Last edited:

JktHifi

Funny part is that Dali Zosters (2 and 5) are declared as 4 Ohms but their minimal impedance is 4.8 Ohms and normalised above 5 Ohms while being easy to drive so they won't have any problems with even amplifiers that are not tolerant to lo impedance loads (rated as 6 dB min) which most AB class Yamahas are.
Contrary there are speakers that are 8 Ohms rated and deep to 3 Ohms or even under and not so easy to drive (won't name manufacturer).
Is it Wharfedale? Or, Kef?

Top Bottom