• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.

I'll check it out.
When using Rotten Tomatoes, I use the min of the critics and audience. That roots out the stinkers that are a must for BPs. ;)

- Rich

SteveC

I'm on a Richard Curtis kick. Love, Actually, is one of my favorite Christmas movies, which naturally leads to Yesterday, to About Time, to Four Weddings and a Funeral, to Notting Hill, etc. If you are a Beatles fan and haven't seen Yesterday do yourself a favor and see it ASAP.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know about refreshing but if you like flying saucers and horses the movie NOPE currently on Prime was good for some trills. Starts off slow but stick with it for some down to earth SciFi. Not for little kids.
220px-Nope_%28film%29_poster.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are American, may I suggest “Being There,” Peter Sellers’ swan song. It was released in 1979 and explains the American politics in the best way possible; comedy.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
Barry Lyndon

The Gentlemen

Isle of Dogs

Grand Budapest Hotel

The great beauty (subtitles); Youth

Le Mans ‘66 (Ford vs Ferrari)

The lives of others (subtitled)

Her

Gattaca

Watching “Mad Men” series now. Exceptional!

“The lives of others“ is fantastic.

On war movies there are (maybe not so uplifting):
”Before the rain”
”Pretty Village Pretty Flame”

Food movies:
“Babette’s feast”
”Like water for chocolate”

“Cinema Paradisio”

And on the violent end:
“Once were warriors” (which is oddly uplifting.)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.

I enjoyed Banshees but I'm not sure many would find its rather dark humor and darker denouement 'pleasant'. That's not the word I'd use for it.

I quite enjoyed another recent movie, Emily the Criminal, because it is a nice compact (~90 min!) crime flick with some deliciously tense scenes, and Aubrey Plaza is excellent in it.

Hiten

A 1987 Bollywood Dialogueless, without song and dance comedy movie.
Pushpak
may not be refreshing but different. One will have to adapt to it as it is culturally different. Some points, if you decide to go through the movie. The main character is poor living in Chawl system near a movie theatre which regularly shows Karate movies. There is an eccentric contract killer who insists on doing his job with knife made of ice. A begger who is rich than unemployed main character. Some contemplation at the end. Hope you enjoy it :)
regards

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Add these gems to the list.
All are mini series. I don't have the patience for lengthy series, but Start Trek! :facepalm:
Where you can watch them, I don't know.
Miss them at your peril!

I can go on, but thats enough
Oh, BTW
let me add this gem:

sq225917

Major Contributor
3,000 years of longing.
Electraglide in blue.
Repo men.
And the recent Sparks documentary.

Top Bottom