• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

BostonJack

Editor
I definitely second "The Triangle of Sadness", its so good that its put "The Square" on my to watch list.

"White Noise" with Adam Driver is quirky, funny. instant cult classic. I'm lucky to be living in the Boston/Cambridge MA area where we have several good "art house" cinemas.

Love this thread. Next up for me are "Bardo" and "Broker".

Mal

Pinocchio by Guillermo Del Toro is excellent if political (anti fascist). "count me in" about drummers is an intriguing doc. both streaming now. Mentioned "Where the Crawdads sing" in another thread. Still thinking about and discussing that one with friends. I also enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts series especially the last one. Oh, and the last Minions was good fun and well done.
Pan's Labyrinth (2006) is another superb anti-fascist movie from Guillermo Del Toro, I re-watched it on Amazon Prime recenty. It's great how he can combine the height of art with the (right kind of) politics. I'm watching a superb documentary series by Simon Schama ("History of Now") on BBC iPlayer at the moment, which is a must watch if you want to explore politically inspired movies - he just considered Dr Zhivago at some length and made me want to watch it again.

Open Mind Audio

Old comedies that hold up are rare -- and that means they are gems. Here are four:

His Girl Friday -- Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in the best version ever of "The Front Page," the best screwball romance of all time, also the inspiration for Broadcast News

The Awful Truth -- Cary Grant and Irene Dunn, a comedy about infidelity that is holds up refreshingly well AFTER 85 YEARS!! A great companion with His Girl Friday

Ninotchka -- the famous movie where Garbo smiled, it will warm the hart of anyone who supports Ukraine against Russia

All About Eve -- better known than those three but simply one of the best, with a famous cameo by Marilyn Monroe and the incomparable George Saunders

walt99

Forum Donor
Ryan Gosling’s “FIRST MAN”, great movie with an outstanding sound track.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Good suggestion, I enjoyed this even though some found it "slow paced".

This movie is pigeon holed as comedy/drama... but it's difficult to catergorise in that way

st-vincent-poster.jpg

JSmith

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Fresh as a daisy:

Brilliant comedy:

This Italian movie is also different, new, fresh. More like a real life play than a movie:

A spy movie from Norway. Imo it adds something to the atmosphere if it's from abroad.

‐-----------------------------------------------------------
The next two are maybe not as fresh as the films above, but a joy to watch.
Always been a fan of Stan & Ollie. As a tribute, it is great.

A great spy movie:

Last edited:

Pe8er

Indeed, watch it without any clue/trailer. I always watch movies without knowing anything.

“Druk” is also great.

View attachment 251655
Anything with Mads Mikkelsen!! “Valhalla Rising” is just about the only good movie about Vikings and he did such an impactful job in it. I would even venture to say his presence reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis - the rarest breed of artist who completely dominates the scene just because of how expressive and intense they are.

CF2B4A1F-8977-4EFF-BDBA-5EE4FF51A815.jpeg

P.s. almost forgot - if you haven’t seen “Bronson”, what are you doing with your life? Story about one of the most notorious, dangerous and cheeky prisoners in the history of Great Britain… served with humor, a touch of surrealism and with brilliant performance from Tom Hardy.

58A10752-2F0A-4B40-B410-48F70A0390B1.jpeg

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
if we're getting schmaltzy and anglophilic (celtic loving), I love this movie. Especially the music store and recording studio scenes:

Great movie, I assume you're familiar with "The Frames" and if not check them out, Glenn's band.

Just watched Amadeus the other night, probably hadn't watched it since the 80's - still held up remarkably well and the soundtrack was ok too.

Destination: Moon

Here's three......4, that we love

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes - Japanese subtitled time travel comedy that a lot of you will appreciate

OSS 117 - French subtitled - the early ones are serious but the last two are super campy comedies that are really fun From Africa, and Cairo very funny if you like campy spy stuff

The Fearless Vampire Killers. 1969 - great sets and very funny. Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate star and were newly married when this was filmed

The Party - Peter Sellers - best viewed in a state that's legalized marijuana

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The trailer for "Everything, Everywhere, All At Once" may reveal a bit too much, but nevertheless, there's no shortage of surprises.

Definitely lived up to my expectations and then some. Hope they get some oscars out of it.

I recently watched Spiderhead (also featuring the Whiplash kid, which is why that movie was on my mind) on Netflix, it's small scope and a little corny, but I thought it worked overall.
I would agree it's Hemsworth's best work (part of the blurb) although if he's not to your taste normally it wouldn't change anything.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also pretty late to the game on this, but Uncut Gems and Good Time are both must-watch in my opinion, but I think the safdie brothers are not necessarily for everybody.

Also probably Sandler's best work, again for what it's worth... I'd say this movie is refreshing in the way that a mouthful of horseradish is refreshing.

olbobcat

Also pretty late to the game on this, but Uncut Gems and Good Time are both must-watch in my opinion, but I think the safdie brothers are not necessarily for everybody.

Also probably Sandler's best work, again for what it's worth... I'd say this movie is refreshing in the way that a mouthful of horseradish is refreshing.

I have known too many sick degenerate gamblers in my life to enjoy Uncut gems. It was a little too familiar for me. If you like that the movie The Cooler is a really good with William H Macy

Top Bottom