• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reflex port distortion profile

Jukka

We know a thing or two about ports, their benefits and drawbacks. In passband enclosure you can think of the air in the port as a membrane that is the main source of sound. Compression drivers use compression chambers to increase acoustic resistance and improving efficiency. Air is not really an ideal "membrane" and at least compression drivers suffer from "high" 2nd order harmonic distortion. Some speakers have geometry to reduce turbulence and other chuffing, but they can't escape the inherent properties of air.

My question is: what is the "distortion profile" of a reflex port excluding the sound from the actual driver? This should rather simple to measure. Most consistent results should come from speakers with port on the backside of the box. I myself have only one ported pair of speakers, so I have only one example. I will measure it later.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is: what is the "distortion profile" of a reflex port excluding the sound from the actual driver?
How do you suggest the sound from driver is excluded as that is what exciting the air in the port?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! Talk about a complex issue…
Yes, it is. If you look at the high-end JBLs like the DD67000, they have beautiful ports shaped correctly for the use. Not just flared, but an overall aerodynamic shape. Having said that, a healthy flare on both ends goes a long ways towards getting good performance.

OP
J

Jukka

How do you suggest the sound from driver is excluded as that is what exciting the air in the port?
Well, imagination brings some setups, like plug the port with a mic-plug and reduce that from non-plugged sweep. Someone can probably come up with a more elegant solution. Any measurement is better than none though.

Top Bottom