• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Reference Quality Rock Music

BenB

Forum Donor
It's rare to find well recorded rock music. For some sub-genres, spending a ton of money on a studio recording and trying to get a pleasant mix would be rather hypocritical. Still, I like rock music, and I like it to be well recorded. I am mostly interested in what other people will post, but I feel compelled to start the thread off with a few recommendations. I'll start lite and end heavy.

Live: Mental Jewelry. This whole cd is very well recorded. Subsequent releases were a step down in audio quality, to my ears at least.
Here's "You are the World"

Faith No More: The Real Thing. Overall the CD is a bit bass shy, but their "War Pigs" cover managed to have a good balance, and great clarity:

Metallica: Black Album. I have the DVD Audio version of this, though I listen in stereo. The stand out for me is "Sad but True" for how the drums are recorded so prominently (with high dynamics).

Danzig: Lucifuge. This whole CD is very well recorded. Rick Ruben got it right for once (broken clock I guess). Here's "Pain in the World".

Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power (Remastered). The remaster of this disc is pretty good (could have been a little smoother). The stand-out for me is "Regular People (Conceit)"

Top Bottom