• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reference Quality Electronic Music

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I'm talking about the music which really puts your entire system to the test. This is the kind of music most hotel room listening audiofools think is crappy. I totally disagree. This music is true reference quality. You gotta have a system ready for it.

I'll begin with some new Royksopp:

TBone

Major Contributor
Daft Punk maybe ... electronic, not my cup either, test more my ability-to-endure than my system.

What's the "hardest" rock you like AJ?

TBone

Major Contributor
I was guessing MotorHead ;) ... Metallica is probably the hardest rock within my collection, doesn't test my system tho ... did see the Ramones and the Sex Pistols live.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think...

Listening to electronic music is akin to listening to Stephen Hawking give a speech.

There. I said it.

TBone

Major Contributor
I think...

Listening to electronic music is akin to listening to Stephen Hawking give a speech.

There. I said it.

That's not fair, Stephen has just as much dynamic range.

fas42

Major Contributor
I think...

There. I said it.
Though, this is a function of playback quality. There is some pretty bizarre stuff out there - I sampled some from the local library - and it's an excellent indicator of system tune. Less than good enough, it sounds bloody awful, why did they bother ??! ... system in adequate shape, it snaps together and the sound space becomes a remarkable place to explore - gee, these blokes are amazingly creative ...

That's how different the experience can be ...

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
How does Major Lazer sound in your system?

Though, this is a function of playback quality. There is some pretty bizarre stuff out there - I sampled some from the local library - and it's an excellent indicator of system tune. Less than good enough, it sounds bloody awful, why did they bother ??! ... system in adequate shape, it snaps together and the sound space becomes a remarkable place to explore - gee, these blokes are amazingly creative ...

That's how different the experience can be ...

fas42

Major Contributor
How does Major Lazer sound in your system?
Yep, that's good stuff! Just listening on the laptop speakers, but I can "translate" what I'm hearing into how it would sound on a good rig - big, big sound, lots of interesting things happening ... no problems at all.

fas42

Major Contributor
... ditto

One of my all time faves is Zoolook, by Jarre - I remember a Krell making a complete meal of that, nowhere in sight of getting it right.

These are big sound spaces, and they have to be recovered well to make sense ...

Top Bottom