• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reference Quality Electronic Music

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
BTW limey, heres a clue,
Fish and Chips.....

This is a Chip
Frito-Lay-technology-slashes-potato-chip-oil-content-by-a-third.jpg

This is a french fry,
mcdonalds-ff.jpg

Now get it right will ya'll. :p
Let's get back to the op;)

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Everything these guys do sounds awesome. GREAT production. Search for "Suiyobi No Campanella" on youtube or Google. Rythm parts (bass and drums) are soooooo sweet. Not that it's insanely deep, but it will give your midbass a proper workout.

Last edited:

astr0b0y

It is hard to find nicely produced and accessible electronica. I've lived with a few producers of this type of music over the years, most of them do care about how their music sounds but don't have much of an idea about dynamic range or do and prefer loudness. A couple came from backgrounds like foley artists and boom operators on film sets, these took way more care in producing really good quality tracks.
This guy was a DJ in New Zealand back in the 90's and turned Krishna shortly after releasing the LP these tracks came from. You can pick up the CD on Discogs easily enough.

cjf

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cjf

" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cjf

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thread, I found some new stuff to listen to. I'll post a few suggestions.

The first two sound tame on youtube.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re: Amnesiac
that was radiohead's interesting album after 'ok computer' ? i have it in their box set i think. (never put it on.. oh the shame)
Kid A was the album after OK Computer, Amnesiac is a sort of reworking of Kid A, they are both great albums (in my not at all humble opinion), neither sound like OK Computer. To me Kid A seems like the first album of the 2nd part of their career.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Re: Amnesiac

Kid A was the album after OK Computer, Amnesiac is a sort of reworking of Kid A, they are both great albums (in my not at all humble opinion), neither sound like OK Computer. To me Kid A seems like the first album of the 2nd part of their career.
Yes, Iv not gone there still.. I stop at ‘ok computer’ as at the time I was uninterested in what came after. Was a long time ago though, always mean to give them another go but with so much music I love I can’t really be arsed.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Iv not gone there still.. I stop at ‘ok computer’ as at the time I was uninterested in what came after. Was a long time ago though, always mean to give them another go but with so much music I love I can’t really be arsed.
I know the feeling, I dismiss or ignore loads of stuff with no real knowledge of why, when I challenge myself to listen and confirm I'm usually right, but when I'm wrong I'm usually really wrong.

FWIW In Rainbows is my pick of stand out album from after OK Computer, and something I've used in lots of dems.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more.

This version is different from the album version, which I analysed a while ago and found almost full range 16hz tones on, none of my kit will go there.

JustIntonation

I'm talking about the music which really puts your entire system to the test. This is the kind of music most hotel room listening audiofools think is crappy. I totally disagree. This music is true reference quality. You gotta have a system ready for it.

I'll begin with some new Royksopp:
I could not agree more! (except for the Royksopp, don't think it's reference quality)
I'll go even further. The very highest reference quality records are only to be found in far field microphone recordings and in electronic music!
The thing is, the "audiophile" listening rooms have reverb (still very much affecting the sound even in large well damped rooms with acoustic treatment). For the highest reference quality one should have an anechoic room!
There are some electronic music producers who go very far in that direction. Their music often doesn't sound like it is reference quality in an audiophiles room but this is because of the colour imparted by the audiophile room not because of the music.
Take for instance Noisia. They have a reference quality studio (google 'noisia studio', and no those are not side walls and ceilings that's fabric in front of meters thick absorption material). Nearly semi-anechoic and with a big soffit ATC system.
And this track (or the whole EP) which doesn't sound all that impressive in the average audiophile room. They'll think it lacks dynamic range and high treble and has too much distortion and is too "flat" sounding etc etc.
But play this track on reference quality speakers in an anechoic / semi-anechoic room and there's nothing really nothing the guy in an audiophile room can play that comes close to the soundquality of this track played in an anechoic / semi-anechoic room!
The incredible punch and tightness, trebble quality, dynamic range, detail, depth, timbre, being inside the music and the play of the music between sounds that are as close as your skin to sounds that are a mile in distance. It's impressive to such a degree it has no equal in the regular audiophile world!

And for natural music far field classical recordings played in an anechoic / semi-anechoic room are truly as if you're there (and no, there is no headphone that comes remotely close for various reasons).

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are a few electronic tracks I often use as references when listening to a system. I consider them to be both representative of their genres and very well-engineered. They can be particularly good for getting a sense of a system's bass capabilities and imaging IMO. Not sure I'd use them as an absolute reference in terms of tonality as they aren't recordings per se.

Jimshoe

Sounds crap on YouTube but the real thing is stellar quality . . .

And, very inspired by Kraftwerk, and similar amazing quality (on album):

Last edited:
Top Bottom