• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reference Quality Electronic Music

Greenman

I've tried a lot of their peers in psytrance and EDM and very much of it comes off as repetitive and monotonous in comparison..
Thanks, yes that WAS my opinion of this genre generally (and still is my wife’s opinion). At their worst Mushroom veer in that direction but they seem to have almost endless invention with their ideas and arrangements . Fortunately there seem to be about a dozen (long) albums to plough through, I’ve been through them all but it will be a while before they become familiar enough that I know what’s coming next .

I have got one Boards of Canada album (as you say not quite the same but good all the same) but sphongle are new to me, I will investigate further. I have been trying the likes of The Orb..boring etc. I do like some of Stereolab, some of the Nightmares on Wax stuff and for late night laid back stuff Sebastian Tellier is great.

many thanks for your suggestions.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Yasume - Where We're From The Birds Sing A Pretty Song
Biosphere - N-Plants

Both are reference quality records.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think...

Listening to electronic music is akin to listening to Stephen Hawking give a speech.

There. I said it.
Have you heard this?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Have you heard this?

The composition and playback "as the composer intended", yes, this performance and/or arrangement and/or instrumentation, probably no.

Got Saturday Morning Bluegrass on WMNF playing via HDRadio and the big rig right now.

I'll come back to it after I've finished my honey dooze today or more likely tomorrow or even later, as they keep piling up.

We're having alien visitors and have to pretend we are what we aren't, normally.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The composition and playback "as the composer intended", yes, this performance and/or arrangement and/or instrumentation, probably no.

Got Saturday Morning Bluegrass on WMNF playing via HDRadio and the big rig right now.

I'll come back to it after I've finished my honey dooze today or more likely tomorrow or even later, as they keep piling up.

We're having alien visitors and have to pretend we are what we aren't, normally.
When you have the time try to listen Tomita’s albums.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I flat out accidentally encountered St Germain’s ‘Tourist’ album at a pop up today!

I like it a lot!

It has an overlay of jazz soloing. Track one side one seems like a sped up intro to Blue Rondo à la Turk, but then heads in its own lovely direction. I would give it a recommendation to try it out. I am very pleased.

Released in 2000 of the all things, and I didn’t catch onto it till it hit me in the face in a random record bin!

Plus, all the cuts are available on YouTube to check out in Lofi just to get a vibe for it.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Greenman

I flat out accidentally encountered St Germain’s ‘Tourist’ album at a pop up today!

I like it a lot!

It has an overlay of jazz soloing. Track one side one seems like a sped up intro to Blue Rondo à la Turk, but then heads in its own lovely direction. I would give it a recommendation to try it out. I am very pleased.

Released in 2000 of the all things, and I didn’t catch onto it till it hit me in the face in a random record bin!

Plus, all the cuts are available on YouTube to check out in Lofi just to get a vibe for it.

Cheers!
Yeh it’s a very good album. Their earlier effort ‘Gentlemen‘ is also good though not quite as immediate. Along similar lines: Aim - Cold Water Music Is also a very good album worth a try but doesn’t have as much of the jazzy tilt, but a similar mood/feel overal.

I love electronic music, so here we go on a few thoughts:

Distant Lights - Burial
Kordman Return (Swing Mix) - Skee Mask
Bias - Floating Points
Night Sculpture - Forest Swords
Untitled Emotional Acid - Eprom
Basically all of Hybrid:II by Alva Noto

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Certainly can’t disagree with that ^ :)

The brand new Four Tet record (Three) and the new record by GRRL (Side By Side) are also pretty spectacular.

Last edited:

tuskenraider

Swedish House Mafia - Paradise Again........I see Tourist mentioned, the gold standard of that genre.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The brand new Four Tet record (Three) and the new record by GRRL (Side By Side) are also pretty spectacular.

Have to agree about the four tet new album, sounds so clean and defined, not a wasted note/sound/kick whatever throughout and such a wide all encompassing recording/soundstage, been on repeat 3 times so far t’night and currently cued up in roon another few times.

Top Bottom