• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reducing Output impedance of a DAC/AMP

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Say the Apogee Groove has a huge output impedance of 21ohm. Can I diminish it by hooking it into a JDS Atom (1ohm)?

Tene

Yeah, the final output impedance will be the one of your Atom.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes

wiggum

Say the Apogee Groove has a huge output impedance of 21ohm. Can I diminish it by hooking it into a JDS Atom (1ohm)?
Yes, as others have mentioned it. I am not sure why you are complicating things. Why not listen to it directly? Most low impedance headphones don't have the impedance vary with frequency. The only exceptions I know are Sennheiser 5XX and Koss KSC75 whose impedance do vary. For high impedance (>300ohm) cans, it is less than 300/8 and it shouldn't affect the FR.

I would say just listen to it directly and enjoy the music.

Edit: $295 for the Apogee Groove? My dropped jaws haven't recovered yet.

Last edited:

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Yes, as others have mentioned it. I am not sure why you are complicating things. Why not listen to it directly? Most low impedance headphones don't have the impedance vary with frequency. The only exceptions I know are Sennheiser 5XX and Koss KSC75 whose impedance do vary. For high impedance (>300ohm) cans, it is less than 300/8 and it shouldn't affect the FR.

Edit: $295 for the Apogee Groove? My dropped jaws haven't recovered yet.

In-ear monitors with multiple balanced armature drivers can often have their impedance vary WILDLY with their frequency. For example, here's the ATH-IM02's impedance. High output impedances make it sound brighter.

1549510243907.png

OP
confucius_zero

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not sure why you are complicating things. Why not listen to it directly?

This is a forum to look for technical curiosities and "listening to it directly" isn't a practice that yields conclusive but leisure results to such standards.

Top Bottom