• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Redirection on using an asr link...

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm
Yup, disabled duckduckgo essentials in "add ons and themes" under the Firefox menu and I can see the AHB2 review now. Looks like a fix. thanks all.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the identical problem (Firefox/Duckduckgo). Doesn't happen on most links but I can't view the AHB2 review, for instance. I'm not sure where the duckduckgo plugin is to be found but I'll give that a try.
In FireFox Tools\Settings: you can change default and add additional search-engines:
Snag_f980b80.png

rbachl

Since a few weeks, my Firefox browser (Linux) does not open certain threads in the forum any more.
This happens only for a few threads, e.g.

The error message is as follows:
=======================================
The page isn’t redirecting properly

An error occurred during a connection to audiosciencereview.com.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
Of course, I have installed several Firefox plugins including plugins that automatically accept cookies and delete cookies
at the end of the tab session, but I did not encounter similar errors anywhere else.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Since a few weeks, my Firefox browser (Linux) does not open certain threads in the forum any more.
This happens only for a few threads, e.g.

The error message is as follows:
The page isn’t redirecting properly

An error occurred during a connection to audiosciencereview.com.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
Of course, I have installed several Firefox plugins including plugins that automatically accept cookies and delete cookies
at the end of the tab session, but I did not encounter similar errors anywhere else.

It's becoming more and more prevalent (same problems on random threads as at 29/05/22). And it's not Firefox's fault. It's ASR's code that is causing the trouble. Not a single other site, anywhere on the internet gives me the same message.

1653824838281.png

Old links are mostly fine. Some new links are fine, but a bunch of very recent ones cause trouble. I can't be bothered with it to be honest. If I get that message, I'll reload and/or just bail out completely and go somewhere else when it fails. It's you (ASR) it's not me...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You get an 'alert ' like this:

1653825345005.png

You click on the first one and get this:

1653825395125.png

The site is a wreck at the moment and I can't be bothered with it. The entire rest of the worldwide internet is fine so don't blame FF for goodness sake.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got so many dang add-ons to my FireFox that I wonder how each tab is able to open/render (<=a crap shoot) but I haven't had similar problems as others here.
[I just counted my FF add-ons: 24 Active and 13 on as-needed basis.]
The site is a wreck at the moment and I can't be bothered with it. The entire rest of the worldwide internet is fine so don't blame FF for goodness sake.
Rarely, I encounter some problems with some sites but I also have 2 add-ons for that problem, if F5 (RefreshPage) does not work. RightClick or MenuBar\OpenInEdge icon. I also tried your screen-captured link w/o problems.
May I ask if you notice this problem with other browsers?

Previously, at this site, I've noticed that embedding images sometimes causes linking problems if they are directly done on a post/reply via the simple 'paste' (Ctrl+V) command, rather than using the actual Ctrl+P (or "Insert Image" icon).
The very last Firefox update prior to the start of version 100.0 (2022/05) actually was causing a full crash of FF, if I attempted to insert an image/photo in a post/reply.
This problem had made my FF unusable for posting at ASR; and a week later the V100 was released... YMMV

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have spent some time trying to debug this. So far not revelations but here is a quick fix for it. Clock on the icon for duckduckgo on Firefox:
1653855055501.png

Turn off "Site Privacy Protection." This will disable duckduckgo just on our site and you won't see the error anymore.

I will keep looking to find the source of the problem but though I offer this.

Also, on my system at least, I am able to click retry/reload after the error comes up and it works once. For some strange reason, it won't work a second time on that page. But does let you see the page without disabling such.

rbachl

Thank you Amir! I can confirm that disabling the "Site Privacy Protection" is resolving the issue for me.

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now why would I want to trust you on that? :) Well, my first thought :) FWIW it has been happening much less frequently since I posted last....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now why would I want to trust you on that? :) Well, my first thought :) FWIW it has been happening much less frequently since I posted last....
Well, if you trusted something with the silly name of "DuckDuckGo," I imagine you should trust anything! :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See what this post did?
I have I have been an ardent StartPage (SearchEngine) user for years but because of this conversation about DuckDuckGo (DDG), I started sniffing around a bit to update my knowledge of less-privacy intrusive and less censor-prone alternatives to predatory SearchEngines (<= Bing/Yahoo, Google, Yandex, Baidu).

Wikipedia's "Comparison of web search engines" page has not been updated since 2014.
RestorePrivacy website has a pretty good discussion in 'trustworthy' SearchEngines:

https://www.qwant.com/ << Deprecated >> Hijacks HomePage and makes itself the Default Searcher, without user selection.
https://metager.org/
https://www.mojeek.com/
https://swisscows.com
https://yacy.net/
https://searx.thegpm.org/
*https://search.brave.com/

*https://www.startpage.com

*https://www.wolframalpha.com/

Please do your own research and re-evaluate if your original premise(s) for migrating to DuckDuckGo are still valid and if another SearchEngine will suit your needs better in 2022 and beyond. Especially since DDG seems to contain some problematic baggage of lard.
I use the bottom 3 Searchers and searX appears tempting.
------------------------------------------

Well, if you trusted something with the silly name of "DuckDuckGo," I imagine you should trust anything! :)
Partial extracts from Forbes interview w/DDG:
"...Learnection was a terrible name and DuckDuckGo popped into my head one day on a walk with my wife, and knew I'd use it someday."
Adams: Google has an “Incognito” option that claims not to store cookies and search history. Isn’t that just as good as DuckDuckGo?
Weinberg: Incognito is a complete myth. It doesn’t stop anyone from tracking you. It only erases stuff on your computer so someone like your spouse can’t see it. [A Google spokeswoman says that cookies and site visit activity from Incognito sessions aren't saved after the session ends.]
Adams: What share of the ad revenues does DuckDuckGo get?
Weinberg: That’s confidential.
Adams: All the businesses I talk to say they advertise on Google, and no one ever mentions Yahoo.
Weinberg: There are only two big ad feeds. There’s Google and then there’s Microsoft Yahoo. Microsoft Yahoo is cheaper and it gets you in front of yet more customers.

DuckDuckGo hosts 3 billion searches a year, compared to Google’s trillion-plus. DuckDuckGo’s 2015 revenues exceeded $1 million (Google’s were $74.5 billion).
;)

Last edited:
OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a fwiw update. Today I've tried many times to read the Chord Dave review and get the page isn't redirecting properly message....yet no other particular issues with other threads on asr. Earlier today in looking at March's site was getting misdirection messages as well.....only two sites I can think of this happening in any case.....fwiw.

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, when you posted that I was only having occasional problems and since then hardly any until that particular review (must have tried 20 times now). I don't see an option when I'm on that redirection page....what exactly am I looking for?

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet got successfully connected to the thread where you post the video for the review....but if I try the link to the written review in that thread I get the redirection error thing. Fascinating stuff as to what the different logic is in this case.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, when you posted that I was only having occasional problems and since then hardly any until that particular review (must have tried 20 times now). I don't see an option when I'm on that redirection page....what exactly am I looking for?
Just turn off "Site Privacy Protection " as you are viewing this page per my screen capture above. The problem would then be fixed for anything you view here. If another site is having the same problem, you need to do the same while viewing their page.

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just turn off "Site Privacy Protection " as you are viewing this page per my screen capture above. The problem would then be fixed for anything you view here. If another site is having the same problem, you need to do the same while viewing their page.
Thanks, but just don't see how to get to such a setting for your site. I just haven't had the need otoh and I don't care about March but it would make visiting your site easier....but why only one thread gets blocked out of all the ones I've looked at for a while? That's weird.

ps just tried searching in settings while on the firefox page for "site privacy protection" and nothing came up. Really would appreciate a specific approach rather than assume this OF can find it on his own :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom