• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recoton RCA Cable Review (Ultra Cheap Cable)

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 29.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 159 60.9%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

KSTR

Major Contributor
Is there a reasonable test for noise rejection vs cables with a better screen/shield? These cheaper cables often have limited RF rejection (and so would be unlikely to be used in a professional studio).
There are basically three different tests, in order of importance:
  • Shield DC resistance: This is the most important number for an unbalanced interconnect. The lower the better -- less noise voltage produced for a given amount of shield current. This includes magnetic field induced loop currents, too, besides the normal parasitic shield current between gear.
  • Magnetic field shielding effectiveness: The input of the cable must be shorted but otherwise not connected to anything. Then apply magnetic AC field in the vicinity of the cable (tape head demagnetizer is ideal) and measure output voltage (vs frequency). The lower the better.
  • Electric field shielding effectiveness: Input end must be open but shielded. Then subject the cable to strong AC electrical field and measure output voltage (vs frequency). Again, the lower the better. Only relevant for really high impedance sources.

The latter two measurements are not easy to do in a controlled fashion but shield resistance is straightforward.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, fine, perfectly transparant and all that, but I'm not letting anything that looks as bad as that near my gear. :p I'm sure enough layers of cardboard and newspaper will keep me warm enough on a windy day, but that doesn't mean I'd rather wear those than a nice jacket. :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have (had) quite a few of those, or similar, cables.
They all work fine.
In some of them the middle pin came loose.
Also some of these cables do not even have a proper screen but either only a 'drain wire' or just a few strands of copper wire.
In all cases all RCA cables I ever 'measured' had no problems with DC to 1MHz (from a 50 ohm source into high resistance load).

Whether or not a super low resistance screen and or very good screen is needed or not is highly dependent on the presence of ground loops and or inductive fields close to the cable.

A good cable does not have to cost much.
A good cable has to be: well screened, not too high capacitance, low screen resistance, sturdy connectors that do not oxidize and are not too loose or too tight.
Not all of these features are present in all RCA cables and expensive ones may not be 'better'. They just look fancier.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Turns out there are some bad choices out there as far as zip cords.

My solution was to split the difference -- I nabbed some zipcord that was labeled as "speaker wire" at the local charity thrift store.
img009.jpg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the problem with testing rca cables is that it somtimes doesnt work in real world like it does when measuring on the AP. poor impedance matching between the components + the capacitans of the cable can certainly introduce audible differences...
As we can see in this test, the capacitance of the cable didn't introduce ANY audible differences.

And care to give an example of how this can change when all interconnect interfaces are almost 100% resistive?

D

Deleted member 46664

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ultra cheap, "vintage," retail RCA cable. A member kindly sent it to me. It is not available anymore but I see two-packs on ebay for $4.

Conclusions
Electrically the Recoton RCA cable is as good as "no wire" internal loop back in the analyzer. So it doesn't get any better than that. In all performance vectors we get the same results. Even measuring up to 1 MHz, timing test shows the same performance.

From usability point of view, the connectors are a bit loose for my taste (although you could pinch the outer ring to fix). And cable is too thin to withstand repeated connection or disconnection. If these are not an issue with whatever cheap/free cable you have, you can feel confident that there is no performance impact on your audio equipment in using such.

Indeed, personally I use such cables when I need one that is not so stiff or too long. They take up much less space and are easier to route.

Next time someone shames you that your RCA cables are too thin and dirt cheap looking, you can point them to this review to show that they give you all the performance you or anyone else needs!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Same test ... using null testing on an oscilloscope...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The problem with null testing of cables is the delay time between reference and cable starts to play a role with bigger lengths. A phase shift will register as a voltage difference.
It would have to be compensated for or the reference should have an equal length cable.
I have run into this even in the audible band (analog nulling) with cables of a few meters.

D

Deleted member 46664

Is there a reasonable test for noise rejection vs cables with a better screen/shield? These cheaper cables often have limited RF rejection (and so would be unlikely to be used in a professional studio).

Pro studios almost universally use balanced audio (XLR cables) which in combination with Integrators on inputs provide high levels of noise rejection... Unbalanced cables, no matter how well shielded can't match that.

D

Deleted member 46664

The problem with null testing of cables is the delay time between reference and cable starts to play a role with bigger lengths. A phase shift will register as a voltage difference.
It would have to be compensated for or the reference should have an equal length cable.
I have run into this even in the audible band (analog nulling) with cables of a few meters.

Any idea what the electrical wavelength of an audio signal is?
Even at 20,000 hz it is over 14 kilometers.

D

Deleted member 46664

the problem with testing rca cables is that it somtimes doesnt work in real world like it does when measuring on the AP. poor impedance matching between the components + the capacitans of the cable can certainly introduce audible differences...

Impedance matching hasn't been used since the early 1960s ... now they use impedance bridging to ensure maximum signal transfer.

Is the AP tester not part of the real world?

D

Deleted member 46664

Come on guys, the poll is about the cable, not the SINAD number on the dashboard. This cable is not great. :)
What's wrong with it?

I use Amazon Basics RCA cables almost exclusively and I've never had a problem.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Any idea what the electrical wavelength of an audio signal is?
Even at 20,000 hz it is over 14 kilometers.

Yep.. you clearly have not been doing nulling of cables using audio. Consider the fact that a small timing difference already results in 'phase shifts'.
Tiny phase differences (timing opposite different frequencies) already results in non exact nulls. I know.. I actually used analog null testing for amps and cables and at longer lengths this is measurable.

I built this about 35 years ago (0 adjust in 20 turn pot):
dist-analyzer.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's wrong with it?

Knowing @xaviescacs it was in jest, further aided by the smiley. ;)
I am sure he thinks this cable is probably fine.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with it?

IMHO a great (golfing panther) cable should have perfect (Neutrik/Rean?) plugs and good materials, so one can bend it as many times as needed with absolute confidence. Quoting amir:
From usability point of view, the connectors are a bit loose for my taste (although you could pinch the outer ring to fix). And cable is too thin to withstand repeated connection or disconnection.
I am sure he thinks this cable is probably fine.
I voted fine. :)

D

Deleted member 46664

Yep.. you clearly have not been doing nulling of cables using audio. Consider the fact that a small timing difference already results in 'phase shifts'.
Tiny phase differences (timing opposite different frequencies) already results in non exact nulls. I know.. I actually used analog null testing for amps and cables and at longer lengths this is measurable.

AHEM ....

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well if you null at only 1 frequency you do not have this issue. When nulling audio or 2 frequencies (which is the fun part of nulling) things are different.
Digital scopes are rarely more than 8 bits so any signals below that would be lost (both inputs would have to be set at the same voltage)
When you start looking at longer cable lengths and use amplification of the actual null you'll see low level differences and no exact null.
The test signal in the test also is not a great 2MHz square wave either.

D

Deleted member 46664

Yes, fine, perfectly transparant and all that, but I'm not letting anything that looks as bad as that near my gear. :p I'm sure enough layers of cardboard and newspaper will keep me warm enough on a windy day, but that doesn't mean I'd rather wear those than a nice jacket. :p
If you are buying jewelery and you know you are buying jewelery ... hey it's your money.

The problem is all these guys who actually think it matters.

D

Deleted member 46664

Well if you null at only 1 frequency you do not have this issue. When nulling audio or 2 frequencies (which is the fun part of nulling) things are different.
Digital scopes are rarely more than 8 bits so any signals below that would be lost (both inputs would have to be set at the same voltage)
When you start looking at longer cable lengths and use amplification of the actual null you'll see low level differences and no exact null.
The test signal in the test also is not a great 2MHz square wave either.

If you are responding to me... please use the Reply button ...

Anyway as I noted in the test ... at 2mhz, the cable capacitance was actually loading my signal generator.
But no audio cable ever gets used at those frequencies (at least not by sane people).

Top Bottom