• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recoton RCA Cable Review (Ultra Cheap Cable)

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 29.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 159 60.9%

• Total voters

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Living up to your title of Chief Fun Officer?

Seriously though, the bottom line is the need to maintain pulse shape, particulaly when working with narrow pulse widths at high bit rates. Might not have an impact on a digital audio interface, but spending a little more on a digital cable, in contrast to analogue interconnects, may be a wise precaution.

Apologies for being 100nS late for work !
Why? BJC recommends Belden 1505F for both applications. That’s what Schiit was using for AP testing their devices in my earlier posting.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's been my solution but the darn tape comes off after a few months. Ideal solution is heatshrink tubing but getting one large enough to clear the head of the XLR but then tighten on the cable is hard.
Neutrik has colored bands for their XLR plugs.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve participated in several cable discussions on ASR - it’s a very popular topic for the most passive component possible in an audio system!

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, XLRs are huge, aren't they? I'm surprised that a mini version hasn't taken over.
Somewhere between the current normal size, and the current mini size many, because the mini XLRs that exist now are a pain to solder.

I'm fine with current XLR size, though.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
audiophilius nervosa is boxes full of interconnects
I think my ailment is even worse than your prognosis.
So much so that, when the news of Michael Eisner putting up his (9 structure) compound for sale at ~$235Million; I spent near an hour digging deep to see how his 'theater' room was wired.
My disease is more like 'cablius freakozoa', as any visible cable fully freaks me out!
( Love/Hate relationship)
Ideal solution is heatshrink tubing but getting one large enough
Heat-shrink tubing has a spec that is called SINAD "Shrink Ratio". >> Not easy to dig-up, but 2:1 ratio is just a benchmark...
"Bondic" may also work.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Heat-shrink tubing has a spec that is called SINAD "Shrink Ratio". >> Not easy to dig-up, but 2:1 ratio is just a benchmark...
Yes, I am aware of this and was going to buy some with higher shrink ratio to try but just haven't...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
,,,buy some with higher shrink ratio to try but just haven't...
No, I refuse to show you any more of my 'collections'.
Yes, I have them all my shirnk tubing properly sorted, as w/my cable "collections'. :facepalm:

capslock

I bought some RCA cables from a reputable internet electronics company in Germany about 10 years ago that turned out to be magnetic and had no shielding. Something like copper clad steel cable. They were refunded without the need to return them.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Wow, that is amazing organization! Mine are in countless plastic containers! As for testing, I appreciate the offer but let me tend to other category of devices for a while and then we can circle back to more cheap cable testing.
I find it interesting to compare the solder construction method to the Canare crimp method.

There should not be any measurable difference if the connections are good, but a crimp is theoretically better if it’s done properly.

Powerbench

Good enough for Radio Shack is good enough for me. I miss the old Radio Shack, the old receivers , speakers, catalogs plus parts, the store were awesome! Shortwave radios, hobby kits etc. it was where great exposure for a kid to learn (and keep out of trouble).
Come to think of it I did make a radio kit back then 45+ years ago (now 58).
Technology has not ruined us but consumerism.
It has breed discontent in our lifestyles of wanting more and that’s why things like the predatory aspect of consumerism in audio hence bigger, flashier, faster is better.

When recording studios start using Audioquest and Nordost I will pay attention.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I bought some RCA cables from a reputable internet electronics company in Germany about 10 years ago that turned out to be magnetic and had no shielding. Something like copper clad steel cable. They were refunded without the need to return them.
No shielding is a problem. Magnetic isn't.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve seen Belden coax cables made of silvered, copper-plated steel. I’d presume they are magnetic. From the specs, I think these were made for applications where pull strength was a consideration. If properly terminated, I agree it should not be a problem but they would be pretty stiff.

capslock

Only if driven from a very low impedance coil. I wouldn't want stray magnetic fields, such as from a transformer, causing vibration in the cable which then might induce voltages via the dielectric effect of the insulation. I would also not be sure if an external field wouldn't cause a hysteresis effect in the iron which might result in an induced voltage. Even if it is probably overkill, why do some people insist on nonmagnetic leads on resistors or why did Kenwood build non-magnetic amplifiers in the early 80s?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Even if it is probably overkill, why do some people insist on nonmagnetic leads on resistors or why did Kenwood build non-magnetic amplifiers in the early 80s?
Ignorance and superstition. It's especially amusing when tube guys make a big deal about magnetic leads in resistors, then use tubes (magnetic) and transformers (massively magnetic).

Only if driven from a very low impedance coil. I wouldn't want stray magnetic fields, such as from a transformer, causing vibration in the cable which then might induce voltages via the dielectric effect of the insulation. I would also not be sure if an external field wouldn't cause a hysteresis effect in the iron which might result in an induced voltage.
That is rather implausible, to say the least.

Top Bottom