• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recordings that can demonstrate Stereo Imaging

Shiva

I like this little bluegrass song for a bit of imaging fun, the way the voices and instruments are spread out within the sound field. Ralph Stanley and friends, Will You Miss Me.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:cool: on the Bill Evans one.
Of course there were lots of 'stereo demo' discs way back when it was a new tech!

Getz Au Go Go is another one with excellent club vibes and imaging.

I seem to recall one of the Dave Brubeck classics had percussion effects swapping R-L in mid track.
(I always imagined Hugh Hefner pointing that out with his pipe stem!)
HH.jpg

Ah. Here they are:

and the swap, here

IN the spirit of Never Know What You'll find On Ytb!:
Which has great 'ambience'!
(Reminds me of seeing Savion Glover on Broadway in the 90s - wow.)

Bearhunter94

Okay guys, I've been fiddling on my budget setup containing. Yamaha wxc50 DAC. To minidsp setup with my preferred curve, (no struggling with step response and frequency response). And then to a Denon poa2400 through 6mm copper cable into my Dali evidence. I have very good depth, left and right imagine is very present aswell. But i lack height difference.
Listening room is 25m2 with 220cm to sealing.
Is there a cheap way to recover the height for my system?
Been playing the system with wrong speaker toe and distance for years. But damn it's come a long way just by trying with setup placements.
Best regards a newbie in this hifi world.

Robin L

Master Contributor
A favorite track for many years. Images as well as any orchestral recording I know.

This recording most probably deployed the Decca microphone tree. It's something of a meeting point between the image specificity of coincident or near coincident pairs and the bass and sense of space of a trio of omni condenser microphones:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Strange mainstream album is David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
They must have used every available effect at the time it was recorded.
Things change rapidly even in the same song.
Absolutely love it,even if it's not my kind of music.

(fun thing,the highlighted)

ziigyback.jpg

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Booklet-01.jpg

47 excerpt.jpg

This track 47 is really interesting. It does sound like 5.1 surround on 2 channels. It works as advertised.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The almost total lack of participation in this thread proves yet again that ASR denizens really don't care for the sole purpose of stereo reproduction. Let them listen to their one speaker demos. Let them have their 'monitors' three feet apart on a desk, either side of a gaming screen in their mom's basement. :facepalm:

8-10ft apart in a decent room. Careful placement, excellently balanced signal chain at all volume levels, speakers that can maintain a rock solid image and, of course, recordings where some semblance of effort was put in to provide a sense of 3 dimensionality and placement.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
The almost total lack of participation in this thread proves yet again that ASR denizens really don't care for the sole purpose of stereo reproduction. Let them listen to their one speaker demos. Let them have their 'monitors' three feet apart on a desk, either side of a gaming screen in their mom's basement. :facepalm:

8-10ft apart in a decent room. Careful placement, excellently balanced signal chain at all volume levels, speakers that can maintain a rock solid image and, of course, recordings where some semblance of effort was put in to provide a sense of 3 dimensionality and placement.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
Are you refering to testing speakers in mono vs stereo? For testing purposes?

Alexium

Amazing list in the opening post, as well as recommendations from other posters. Thank you very much!
Should these stereo effects be observable to a good degree in headphones / IEMs? Or speakers only for real amusement?

My contribution: Roger Waters - Amused to death. Very interesting ambient sounds at the very beginning of the track. The rest of the track is nothing special in my humble opinion, but the opening is amazing. There are sounds seemingly coming from behind you, and I was stunned that this effect is reproduced in my awful, totally untreated room in stereo just as well as it is with 5.0 upmixing (Dolby). The effects is not nearly as stunning with IEMs.

Alexium

That isn't "stereo" ...... Waters used Qsound.

Jim
Thank you, I have never heard about that technology, will read up on it. I was listening to a stereo CD, though, so very much stereo.
I now vaguely recall that there was a multi-channel SACD version of this album as well, and I also listened to it on my 5.1 system*, and it barely sounded any more spacious than the stereo version, if at all!

* 4.1, to be precise - I disabled the center channel because it restricts stereo effects way too much.

P. S. After reading your comment the second time, I think I get your point now, Jim. You meant that this is an artificial effect rather than a masterful recording of the real ambience. Is that it?

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about this?

My recent "post series" on "audio sampler reference music tracks" here and thereafter would be of your interest, I assume.

Top Bottom