• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recordings that can demonstrate Stereo Imaging

antennaguru

I thought that it would be helpful for those that care about Stereo Imaging to start a thread listing some recordings that can demonstrate clear Stereo Imaging. Those that don't care shouldn't be bothered to read any further. These tracks can be listened to for pure enjoyment assuming one likes the music, and/or can be used to compare the Stereo Imaging between different audio components (e.g., loudspeakers, electronics).

1. Image Depth:

a. Dire Straits - Album: Love Over Gold. Track: Private Investigations - at 5:42 into this track there is the sound of a glass breaking. It should be deep in the left corner of the soundstage and the transparency of the system can in some cases allow you to hear that the wineglass breaks on its initial impact and then larger pieces then break further into smaller pieces. This is apparent on the LP, CD, and SACD.

b. Opus3 various artists - Album: Depth of Image. Many tracks display natural imaging due to the simple "figure of eight" dual microphones that were used, with minimal post-processing. However, the Track: Tiden bara gar has the lead singer, Therese Juel, presented center stage and a little ahead of the plane of the speakers. It was released on LP, CD, and then SACD as Test-records 1,2,3 which are all really "sampler albums" for many of the artists on the Opus3 label.

2. Image Left to Right Placement:

a. Michael Tilson Thomas conducting The Cleveland Orchestra - Carmina Burana. On the LP side 2 and on the CD/SACD the tracks titled "In Taberna" present individual singers and instruments as well as a Chorus of voices from left to right. Played over highly transparent systems the voices all can be localized individually.

b. IsoMike Tests 2006. This SACD was produced to explore a unique microphone array using specially placed microphones isolated with absorption panels to present clear imaging. Again in the Chorus pieces the voices across the stage from left to right can all be localized individually. At 4:10 into Track 7 the singing breaks into Tap Dancing, which is differentiated not only by left to right, but as coming from the floor below the voices. There are a number of IsoMike recordings using this unique microphone array, and more details are via the link below:

3: Image Height:

a. Pepe Romero - Flamenco (LIM XRCD) - Tracks 9 and 13 have Flamenco guitar playing and singing accompanied by dancing. The dancer wears thick heeled dancing shoes and uses a stomping action for percussion plus has clacking castanets overhead. With all of these elements of Flamenco music there is an image height differential. You can hear the voices and guitar playing from the expected height, and should hear the dancing shoes from the floor and the clacking of the castanets overhead.

b. Felipe de la Rosa - M&K Flamenco Fever - Track: Llorna. This is again Flamenco music with the same vertical imaging cues as indicated above.

Since the M&K record is Direct to Disk and rare it can be expensive, so this track also appears on the more widely available and less expensive promotional album produced by TELDEC for Ohm Loudspeakers to showcase the imaging abilities of their products. The back cover of the record jacket highlights what imaging cues should be evident in all of the tracks on this album:

Imaging Record.jpg

This is only a small sample of what's out there that is known to image clearly and reliably, to get the ball rolling. Please add any recordings you think also image clearly and reliably to this thread! That way this thread can be used as a reference for examples of Stereo Imaging.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dangit you reminded me of a jazz track that I bookmarked months ago where the cocktails can be heard clinking in the background and the murmur of the audience and the people walking about as the jazz band plays. Unfortunately I have thousands of bookmarked tunes and can't remember what it is. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dangit you reminded me of a jazz track that I bookmarked months ago where the cocktails can be heard clinking in the background and the murmur of the audience and the people walking about as the jazz band plays. Unfortunately I have thousands of bookmarked tunes and can't remember what it is. :facepalm:
Surely not the old Jazz at the Pawn Shop?

OP
antennaguru

antennaguru

That sounds like Proprius Records: Jazz At The Pawnshop. Not only is there the audience noises in a night club (glasses clanking and talking), but there is one song where a lady squeals with laughter. I always thought someone pinched her...

OP
antennaguru

antennaguru

Pink Floyd always did a pretty amazing job with how they engineered Stereo Imaging, and albums like The Wall are a wonder - especially if you have large stereo subwoofers!

The album I was listening to last night was Live at Knebworth 1990, and it's a 45 rpm LP. It's a live concert album with many songs that I like done again live, so slightly different than the studio versions, but the sound of the audience is actually quite immersive and extends ahead of the plane of the main speakers.

PF.jpg

OP
antennaguru

antennaguru

I'm on headphones atm although this seems to be pretty open sounding and have imaging.
Cool Recording! The spaciousness reminds me of the original Trinity (church) Session recording of the Cowboy Junkies - a group that I have seen/heard live several times. In the original Trinity recording they used the simple "figure of eight" aka "Blumlein" microphone arrangement. The subsequent revisited version had everyone miked separately but brought even more talent to the album.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Proprius Cantate Domino of course.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Ah music is this what this hobby is all about!
Personally I prefer well recorded multichannel music in either SACD, BluRay or streaming formats.
Here are some of my favorite recordings in at least 5.1 format!

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
The Beatles: Love
Bob Marley: Legend (30th Anniversary Edition)
Tears for Fears: Songs From The Big Chair
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Roxy Music: Avalon
Depeche Mode: Violator
The Police: Every Breath You Take
Norah Jones: Come Away With Me

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool Recording! The spaciousness reminds me of the original Trinity (church) Session recording of the Cowboy Junkies - a group that I have seen/heard live several times. In the original Trinity recording they used the simple "figure of eight" aka "Blumlein" microphone arrangement. The subsequent revisited version had everyone miked separately but brought even more talent to the album.
I remember that release. It was very popular at the time and seemingly everybody had a issue. Wonderful sound. :D

goat76

Major Contributor
An album with lots of depth and real room acoustics is Low - Things We Lost in the Fire, a recording they did with Steve Albini at Electrical Audio's Studio B in Chicago. The whole album has this roomy sound, but in the song "Dinosaur Act" you can really hear the size of the room thanks to the resonating bass drum and the snare that excites the acoustics of the whole room.

Here's a picture of the live room where the recording took place, it helps to visualize what is heard. :)

Live1.jpg

Peterinvan

Malia & Boris Blank - Convergence

1644451738121.png

Especially Track 1

TBone

Major Contributor
Seen Margo and Michael Timmins many times.

Trinity was orig. rec. on DAT.

pre trinity, Whites of Earth, State Trooper sounds like typical margo/micheal timmins in concert, can always remember micheal sitting on a little stool at back of stage, filling the venue with blues guitar ...

CapMan

Major Contributor
Hi - Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard / Waltz for Debbie recorded live in 1961 have a super club vibe - complete with chinking glasses, waitresses and audience chatter .

The Vanguard is tiny and intimate and this captures it perfectly :)

Top Bottom