• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recordings for BACCH users

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On this thread, I'm going to list stereo recordings that I have found to be particularly enhanced by BACCH processing. I've found that BACCH enhances essentially all stereo recordings, but with some recordings, the difference is more striking than with others.

The lists of classical music and jazz will focus on entire albums or works. The list of popular music will focus on individual songs because different songs on the same album often are recorded differently.

All recordings below are either CDs or Tidal HiFi versions unless otherwise noted.

I'll add to the list as I keep listening and thinking of other things that sound particularly amazing through BACCH. I'd encourage other BACCH listeners to add to the thread if they can.

Classical Music
  • Beethoven, the Nine Symphonies, Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1977 edition) (DG)
  • Ligeti, Requiem, Jonathan Nott, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, London Voices (on The Ligeti Project Volume 4) (Teldec)
  • Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre, on Mephisto, Eiji Oue, Minnesota Symphony Orchestra (Reference Recordings)
  • Schoenberg, Chamber Symphony No. 1, Abbado, Chamber Orchestra of Europe (DG)
  • Richard Strauss, Rosenkavalier Suite, etc., Andre Previn, Vienna Philharmonic (DG)
  • Beethoven, Piano Trios, Oliver Schnyder Trio (Sony)
  • Bach, St. Matthew's Passion, Karl Richter et al. (Archiv Produktion)
  • Beethoven, Symphony No. 7, Carlos Kleiber, VPO (SACD) (DG)
  • Haydn, Complete Piano Trios, Beaux Arts Trio (Philips)
  • Beethoven, the Nine Symphonies, Rene Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Chesky)
  • Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition, Gustavo Dudamel, VPO (DG)
  • Most Glenn Gould recordings, in any of the various CD/SACD/hi-res versions
  • Beethoven, Complete Piano Trios, Trio Wanderer (Harmonia Mundi)
  • Richard Strauss, Burleske, Byron Janis, Fritz Reiner, CSO (RCA Living Stereo)
  • Brahms, Complete Symphonies, Simon Rattle, BPO (SACD) (Warner)
  • Brahms, Complete Symphonies, Sir John Barbirolli, VPO (SACD) (EMI)
Jazz
  • Miles Davis, Bitches Brew (SACD)
  • Miles Davis, Filles de Kilimanjaro
  • Jan Garbarek, Rites
  • Herbie Hancock, Man-Child
  • Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller (esp. "Cucumber Slumber", which, of any track on any album, has left the strongest impression on civilians who have heard my system) (SACD)
  • Eric Dolphy, Out to Lunch
Popular Music
  • The Beatles, Revolver, "Tomorrow Never Knows" (from the 24-44 The Beatles Limited Edition thumb drive)
  • Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow, "You Know What I Mean"
  • Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, "Money" (SACD)
  • Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, Trout Mask Replica
  • The Who, Who's Next, "Behind Blue Eyes"
  • Joni Mitchell, Mingus, "The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines"

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
STUPID QUESTION

Why wasn’t BACCH added to the recording in the mastering process in master’s studio?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why wasn’t BACCH added to the recording in the mastering process in master’s studio?

It's a good question, and, yes, it is possible to add a degree of crosstalk cancellation to the original recording. However, the extent to which crosstalk cancellation should be applied depends on the directivity of the speakers, the reflectivity of the room, and the shape of the listener's head (the last of these factors has in my experience been the least important). Because of this dependence on system, room, and listener head shape, applying BACCH to the recording would yield a much less compelling result. The advantage of putting it in the listener's equipment rack is that the listener can then calibrate BACCH to his or her system, room, and head shape.

QSound was a process that attempted to yield a binauralized, three-dimensional recording from a 2D stereo source, and it was applied to recordings, most famously Roger Waters' Amused to Death. I'm sorry to disappoint, but QSound ain't as good as BACCH, not even close.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more additions in the initial post...

I would also note that, if you want a tech demo to knock people's socks off with BACCH, I'd suggest the binaural version of Explorations in Space and Time by Jamey Haddad, Lenny White and Mark Sherman (Chesky). Theoretica Applied Physics kindly included this album with the BACCH4Mac Pro system.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, I know no one's reading the thread, but I've added to the list above. I don't defend the music in any of the selections--I'm just noting that these recordings are especially enhanced by BACCH processing. If you have BACCH in your system, I hope you enjoy them, too.

I know quite a few people reading this thread. Thank you soundArgument for updating and adding to the list.

Here is another addition for lovers of modern orchestral music.

All 57 albums by the Boston Modern Orchestra Project (recorded on the BMOP label) give a breathtaking 3D image through BACCH. The BMOP, based at the New England Conservatory of Music, and led since 1996 by Gil Rose, is "the leading orchestra, for commissioning, performing, and recording modern orchestral music". The BMOP features music by leading American and international 20th and 21st century composers.

These 57 albums (BMPO/Sound 1001 to 1057, with Joel Gordon as Recording and Post-production Engineer), many of which have been acclaimed by Gramophone magazine and other publications for their music and sound, are available from BMOP (https://www.bmop.org/audio-recordings/buy-recordings) or can be streamed from Tidal (Search key: "Boston Modern Orchestra Project").

Due to BMPO's purist recording technique, beautiful hall acoustics, and superb performances, these albums are an excellent example of how non-binaural recordings can shine through BACCH.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just curious, how well does that process work with Blumlein crossed figure 8 single point recordings? Not that this is my preferred miking method, but... well... it's my preferred miking method.:D

Blumlein crossed figure 8 can be sensational through BACCH especially if the recording contains a wide and realistic range of ILD cues. It is essential however to use figure 8 mics to capture hall ambiance as that adds significantly to the realism of the imaging. I just played some of the videos whose audio was recorded with a pair of Blumlein crossed figure 8 ribbon mics, on this page: http://diyribbonmic.com/audio-samples/ through my BACCH-SP. All of the video and audio clips yield superb imaging through BACCH. In particular, the A Cappella video, with the audio going through the BACCH-SP allows verifying the accuracy of the singers locations as you listen and watch. The 3D imaging and its accuracy are uncanny.

To hear the importance of using figure 8 compare the MS (time stamp 0:53) to X/Y (1:43) and the crossed figure 8 (2:43) on this demo video (while processing the audio through BACCH):

Last edited:
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't ask me why I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Mingus, but some of the track are astounding through BACCH.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Don't ask me why I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Mingus...

Because it's a great album?

(Coincidentally, we're spending the weekend near Des Moines, and I'm going to find that damn dry cleaner)

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it's a great album?

(Coincidentally, we're spending the weekend near Des Moines, and I'm going to find that damn dry cleaner)

Eh, apologies, the music is not quite for me, but that track sounds scary with BACCH. I'm glad you enjoy the album and would propose that you try listening to it with BACCH.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'd love to, but it's impractical (waaaay beyond my financial means, and I'm nowhere near New York to hear yours :D).

For me, the music is Joni and Jaco at their very best. Very much my kind of thing.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be adding some stuff to the list above as I listen to more recordings using the new mono correction feature. I just added the Eric Dolphy classic Out to Lunch.

Chansig

I'm making a spotify list with nice songs. On the list sofar: Faithless, Massive Attack, Die Antwoord, Passengers, HONNE, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Sinead O Conner, Zola Blood and many more.

Probaly not all the most striking...but convincing enough.

Greetings Hans

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Responding to my own long-dead thread from over four years ago:

Do any users know of any orchestral recordings that were made using a main stereo pair of microphones in a dummy head? I am not interested in 'bootlegs' recorded by concertgoers wearing binaural microphones.

Thank you

Theoretica Appl. Physics

Audio Company
Hi Dialectic,

I suggest you check out the binaural recordings on the Cobra Records label.

As I am sure you know, there are many non-binaural orchestral recordings that are wonderful through BACCH. Practically any recording with a good stereo image (as opposed to those dominated by the mono component) should give a vivid spatial image through BACCH. I recently discovered the Naïve label from France, which has many well-made classical music recordings that project beautifully in 3D through BACCH. In particular, listen to the first movement of J.S. Bach's 1st Bradenburg Concerto, performed on period instruments by Concerto Italiano under Rinaldo Alessandrini, which you can find on this Tidal link.

Regards,
Edgar @ Theoretica

Keith_W

Major Contributor
FYI your thread is far from dead, I have been referring to it and I listened to almost all the tracks you recommended this weekend. Thank you!

Try also:
Richard Strauss: Elektra, Georg Solti, Decca.

Peter Eotvos: gliding, four works for symphonic orchestra

I use Xtalk-shaper plugin
Incredible effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom