• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recording stereo samples for youtube

My adventures in stereo

I enjoy recording sound samples from my system and sharing on youtube
Have a pretty good collection of recordings on LP, CD & SACD
I make no money from this hobby

Used to record using my phone and found the sound quality sub par
Then I switched to a Shure MV 88 +, as an external USB mic, still found the sound quality to be sub par

Then switched to a USB audio interface with dual condenser mic's
Had a brief encounter with a MOTU M2, which sadly had a faulty USB C port and had to be returned
Currently using a pair of RODE NT5 with an Audient ID 14 interface
Using a ORTF configuration

I am very new to the recording part of things, would appreciate guidance and feedback on the audio recording quality

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Have a pretty good collection of recordings on LP, CD & SACD
There is no need for microphones. CDs can be "ripped" (digitally copied). I believe SACD can be ripped too but I think you have to crack the copy protection.

I make no money from this hobby
They can still take-down your post as a copyright violation.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually sounds pretty good to me. OTOH, they might take it down for copyright issues.

Sounds a little sibilant, but that is a quality of the NT5's at least a little bit I think. You could EQ for the response of the microphones. Crudely shelve down the treble by 2 db from 5 khz to about 12 khz. And shelve up the low end by 2 db from 200 hz and lower.

I assume you wanted to let us hear what your system sounds like which is why a ripped CD isn't what you intended.

Midnight Audiophile

I'm starting up a Youtube channel and will basically be doing the same thing with audio samples. I've decided to go with Soundstripe for my audio clips as to steer clear from copyright issues.
On the recording end I'm working on building a binaural recording head to use:

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

There is no need for microphones. CDs can be "ripped" (digitally copied). I believe SACD can be ripped too but I think you have to crack the copy protection.

They can still take-down your post as a copyright violation.
I meant that,I have a reasonable collection of well recorded physical media,, which I want to share played back through my system on youtube
The idea is not to rip CD's

Actually sounds pretty good to me. OTOH, they might take it down for copyright issues.

Sounds a little sibilant, but that is a quality of the NT5's at least a little bit I think. You could EQ for the response of the microphones. Crudely shelve down the treble by 2 db from 5 khz to about 12 khz. And shelve up the low end by 2 db from 200 hz and lower.

I assume you wanted to let us hear what your system sounds like which is why a ripped CD isn't what you intended.
Thanks for the feedback on the recording
I will attempt to eq the recordings, any software you recommend for it ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant that,I have a reasonable collection of well recorded physical media,, which I want to share played back through my system on youtube
The idea is not to rip CD's

Thanks for the feedback on the recording
I will attempt to eq the recordings, any software you recommend for it ?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Reaper is good, or you can also do this in Audacity when using an audio file. Now I'm not well versed in video editing though I suppose some of those have some basic EQ for video.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

I am using audacity currently, will try the eq
Not worried about video quality, full HD recorded on my phone

Tom C

Major Contributor
Sounds pretty good to me, too. I recognize the Revels. Are the other pair Focal? Which are playing in that video?

OK. Noticed now where you labeled the video Revel.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Sounds pretty good to me, too. I recognize the Revels. Are the other pair Focal? Which are playing in that video?

OK. Noticed now where you labeled the video Revel.
Thanks for the feedback
The Revel M126 BE is playing
The other pair in the picture are Focal 906

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The speakers sound out of phase (polarity) Check the +/- speaker wiring from amplifier to speakers. One is incorrect, I will bet my audiophile playground ticket on that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers sound out of phase (polarity) Check the +/- speaker wiring from amplifier to speakers. One is incorrect, I will bet my audiophile playground ticket on that.
I'm not familiar with the recording. It certainly could be out of phase, but I just assumed it was unusually mixed. Not so center oriented. More of an intentionally spread out sound.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

This does sound like restorer-john is right about it either being out of phase or maybe a better microphone position is needed. How far from the speakers are the microphones?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This does sound like restorer-john is right about it either being out of phase or maybe a better microphone position is needed.

It's just one speaker polarity.

@OP, reverse the +/- on the back on ONE speaker and record it again.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a handy file for checking polarity at the speaker. Sometimes components are wrong even if wired right. It is a 70 second file with a 440 hz tone which has been processed as if it went thru a half wave rectifier. It is at -18 db level.

Play this signal and use a multimeter set to DC volts at the speaker terminals. If you have correct polarity you will read a small fairly steady positive DC voltage. If polarity is reversed you'll read a negative DC voltage. Obviously for this case here you would expect both speakers to read the same whether positive or negative.

The file is one channel at 16 bit to reduce the file size. 48 khz.

Attachments

• 440hzDiode.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
will using a ortf configuration cause this?
it is certainly centered when i am hearing it live
It could. Usually not. Try moving the microphones so each one points just outside the right and left speaker. By this I mean keep the ORTF spacing and angles, but move the microphones closer or further until each one points just outside each speaker.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

i reversed the polarity on my right speaker and lo and behold ,Nils Lofgren is suddenly right in the center
Thanks Restorer John

Last edited:
Top Bottom