• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Record music from vinyls to files?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An older Dell quadcore I7 laptop 8 GB ram that can run 3.84 GHz, SSD 850 EVO 1TB with CD/DVD record & BluRay play. HDMI, USB 3.0 or a Desk Top 32GB DDR3 ram, I7 4790 @ 4.00GHz, 2047MB NVIDIA GeFORCE GT 1030 (MSI),
SSD 850 EVO 2 TB. Both run Windows 10. Can play/record CD's (I think the external one can, the internal one lost a laser) I was thinking an ADC (maybe MOTU 2)?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
An older Dell quadcore I7 laptop 8 GB ram that can run 3.84 GHz
Model? Can't be that old either, these kinds of turbo clocks have only been around since Skylake / Kaby Lake.
or a Desk Top 32GB DDR3 ram, I7 4790 @ 4.00GHz,
Motherboard model?

(Run msinfo32, that usually tells you something.)

I would honestly want to give the onboard audio line-in in the desktop machine a chance first, assuming it features one of the better Realtek chips and isn't plagued with inherent noise, as to be determined via test recordings. This'll require a decent-quality RCA --> 3.5 mm cable. Recording in 24/96 with Audacity can be a bit fiddly but is doable (set up input device for 24/96 format, select WASAPI input in Audacity, make sure standard sample format is at least 24 bit). Use ASIO4All for a "proper" DAW.

The M2 seems overdressed in some ways and underdressed in others. For best results this interface should be used at 192 or even 384 kHz, which is a bit annoying. Its massive dynamic range would be largely wasted. All you really need is good consumer soundcard performance ca. mid-late 2000s, or modern higher-end onboard audio level if implemented decently. An Asus Xonar SE should be fine, assuming it's behaving itself. So should their older cards, assuming the drivers are cooperating (I have yet to try a D1/D2 under Win10, and given the issues I've had with later drivers I'm not too hopeful on the playback side being initialized correctly, though I think the recording side did work OK).

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Motherboard: ASUTeK B85M-G R2.0 (socket 1150). I am selling my 2000 Nissan Frontier truck (hopefully in a few days) and will hopefully have a few $'s to spend on this endeavor. Most of the money (if not all) is going to have to go to getting my LEXUS to here from Guam. But I could record bit perfect to CD if I can get a remote for the SONY CDR W-500 I just acquired. I guess that is option 2. But I would rather do straight to files. You have suggested some things and way's of doing this that I did not even know about. I guess that's what happens when you go live in the third world from 2001-2018. Thank you for your wonderful advice. I must go to get things moving with the Guam/Lexus situation.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I built a setup to rip vinyl close to CD quality.

I remove the clicks either with https://clickrepair.net/ or https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx.html and remove noise with RX.

You can get very good results indeed. I would buy a preamp which allows proper cartrige loading i.e. selection of input impedance and capacitance.

Cleaning the vinyl properly before recoding also greatly improves results. Lots of resources if you google vinyl ripping.

Top Bottom