• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended subwoofer with L/R XLR ins and outs?

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Hi there, wondering if anyone can recommend a decent subwoofer in the $500-700ish range with L/R XLR ins and outs to be used with a pair of Mackie HR824 studio monitors?

Thanks!

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I don't know of a subwoofer that has independent L/R XLR inputs. I know the monoprice subwoofers I reviewed (below) have a single XLR input. You may have to go that route and build your own XLR summer.

This guy has some 2-to-1 summers for sale - if you follow his links - for $43. http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/863

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I don't know of a subwoofer that has independent L/R XLR inputs. I know the monoprice subwoofers I reviewed (below) have a single XLR input. You may have to go that route and build your own XLR summer.

This guy has some 2-to-1 summers for sale - if you follow his links - for $43. http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/863

Here's an example.
HRS120_Rear.jpg

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Kali sub seems to have them. https://www.kaliaudio.com/watts

I don't know this segment either, but on specs I can't imagine it getting much better than that in this price range.
But on the speaker beauty scale of PA speakers to whatever your pick for the most beautiful speakers in the world thread is, that's way down towards PA speakers. Maybe not a big deal if the OP is putting it behind or under desk or anywhere else mostly unseen.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I don't know this segment either, but on specs I can't imagine it getting much better than that in this price range.
But on the speaker beauty scale of PA speakers to whatever your pick for the most beautiful speakers in the world thread is, that's way down towards PA speakers. Maybe not a big deal if the OP is putting it behind or under desk or anywhere else mostly unseen.
Beauty isn't too important to me. It's going under a desk. Performance is much more important

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I'm in the market too for a good subwoofer with XLR in/out that does a proper Linkwitz-Riley 4th order crossover and has low THD+N.
Currently running RME ADI-2 V2 DAC -> KRK 10s subwoofer XLR in/out doing crossover -> Purifi amp and the sub is adding a very audible noise to an otherwise very clean system.
It's frustrating that none of the subwoofers on the market publish crossover specs such as what type of filters they use and THD+N.

¥€$

Adam Sub8, 10 or 12. I don't know if they're any good but they seem to be well liked by Thomann customers. In addition to balanced in/out connectors they allow crossover to be tuned very precisely. I would be a shame if they sounded bad.

Last edited:

txbdan

Do these studio subs like the JBL LSR310S also HPF the outputs to the monitors?

Top Bottom