• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Recommended shielded rca?

Marc v E

Is there such a thing as a shielded Rca cable that does what it promises and if so, what should I look out for in such a cable? I've seen some subwoofer cables but the shielding is sometimes connected to one end, sometimes to none, single shielded or double shielded.

My speakers are powered but have only rca inputs. I've used a generec thin rca cable which works fine; but I noticed some background noise/hum recently, which increases when the cable comes close to an extension cord. Which is the reason for asking:

Are there any good shielded rca cables you can recommend?

Speedskater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For short RCA analog cables, any coax with a braided shield will be good.
For long RCA analog cables (say well over 5 meters/15 feet) a coax with a heavey braided shield like the B.J.C. LC-1 and some other coax cables is needed.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Thread Starter #11
WTH people, have you not heard of XLR?!
Choose your devices accordingly!
Yes, I know. It was before I joined the asr forum that I bought the speakers. They sound great but don't have xlr, only rca and b&o's own powerlink based on a din cable.

Last edited:

Jukka

Okey, my bad, sorry for the language.
If you get 50/60 Hz mains related hum, 1st tip in all books: hook all electrically connected devices to the same power outlet in the wall. 2nd tip: use an isolator for rca cable, one that cuts the electrical connection.

Shielding usually helps against radio interference in long cable runs, it should do anything to mains hum. I've run speaker leads tied to power cords without problems.

nerone

Attachments

Top Bottom