• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended replacement for Vandersteen VCC1

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I wish to upgrade my Vandersteen VCC1. I have coveted the VCC5 for years, but for the price of admission I would have gone that direction. Fortunately I didn’t, given Amirm’s recent review, for which I am exceptionally grateful...as several times I have just almost taken the plunge.

So back to reality. My system is all Vandersteen. 2ce fronts, 1b’s for rears (right after they switched to butyl surrounds...phew!) with the Vandersteen home theater sub (with passive radiator)...and a DIY Rythmik 15” downfiring sub, because well...I love watching the furniture vibrate around the room while watching movies where things blow up. I’m pretty pleased with my set up...except for the VCC1. The VCC2 won’t work because it’s designed and tuned for wall mounting. My set up also require the center channel be above the TV. Not great, I know...but it is what it is.

My question is this. What center channel speaker might be an appropriate replacement in an all Vandy system? Given that I have Anthem ARC, is the concept of matching “sonic signature” really all that important?
Looking into the best option in a three way speaker at sub $1000. Am a retired carpenter/furniture/ cabinet builder...so any recommended DIY’s would be excellent options!

Thanks!

OP
Dmitri

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Dmitri, still around?
Yeah...Given the general lack of interest I winged it and purchased a Monitor Audio silver c350 on close out sale from Crutchfield. Doesn’t “timbre match” at all, but with Anthem ARC it seems to be work fairly well with the system anyway...a bit too “crisp” or forward, but for dialogue in films, a far better alternative to my older ears than the previous VCC1.
Built a new adjustable ceiling mount for it. Most people just talk over me anyway, so I’m kind of used to it... ; )
7E7A8231-A3FB-44C0-A7CB-CDFE69EBB031.jpeg

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Usually too much center channel volume will cause what you are describing. Just go in and drop the center volume a bit in relation to the other speakers until you like the sound. I think you will enjoy the improvement! Gotta have a reason to play with it anyways.......:D

OP
Dmitri

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Usually too much center channel volume will cause what you are describing. Just go in and drop the center volume a bit in relation to the other speakers until you like the sound. I think you will enjoy the improvement! Gotta have a reason to play with it anyways.......:D

You nailed it. I’ve got it pretty much where I like it now. Some of its just getting used to something new, but I like that I don’t feel the need to add volume for dialogue...or increase treble as I previously did. For multi channel music, I tend to drop the center a couple of dB, and it blends quite nicely.
I was heartened by Amirm’s most recent review of the Monitor Audio Silver 100’s...part of the same series as the C350. Far from perfect...and perhaps overpriced...but nothing worse than having ASR trash something after you bought it. ; )
Erin at Erin’s Audio Corner had lots of fun at the expense of my Vandy 2ce’s...

Me thinks the C350’s a bit much without the grill, though! :eek:

13692C5B-42E1-4617-9623-F11FA6069F04.jpeg
FCD50519-A079-4225-ADC3-8312ED399C48.jpeg

Top Bottom