• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended Phono Preamp for Pro-Ject VT-E up to $500?

Urushi

I want to try vinyl again I have limited space and the Pro-Ject VT-E is great for that. Initially I am going to be using the Pro-ject with my Ruper Neves Precision HP Amp and Sennheiser HD6XX and then will likely want to use it with my Wilson Audio Sabrinas. Would something like a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 be a good choice? I have no idea how important the Phono Pre-Amp is. Ideally I want something that can bridge the gap between my Sennheisers and my Wilson Audio.

I should note that I am not an audiophile but want something that sounds nice. I know the Sabrinas are much more expensive the the Pro-Ject equipment. My goal is to see if I like vinyl. I want to start small...if I don't have to buy twice that is great but at this early stage I am adjusting my budget downward.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's some serious name dropping for someone who's not an "audiophile". There are tons of good choices but without your take on why you feel one particular one might be better than another is hard to fathom. In general the art of the phono stage is well established....

OP
U

Urushi

"The art of the phono stage is well established...." means nothing to me. What would be a basic starting place. I could ask my local hifi store but I don't trust their objectivity.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
I want to try vinyl again I have limited space and the Pro-Ject VT-E is great for that. Initially I am going to be using the Pro-ject with my Ruper Neves Precision HP Amp and Sennheiser HD6XX and then will likely want to use it with my Wilson Audio Sabrinas. Would something like a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 be a good choice? I have no idea how important the Phono Pre-Amp is. Ideally I want something that can bridge the gap between my Sennheisers and my Wilson Audio.

I should note that I am not an audiophile but want something that sounds nice. I know the Sabrinas are much more expensive the the Pro-Ject equipment. My goal is to see if I like vinyl. I want to start small...if I don't have to buy twice that is great but at this early stage I am adjusting my budget downward.
Any interest in DIY? What type of cartridge did you have in mind?

OP
U

Urushi

I ordered the Cambridge Audio Duo and a Little Bear T7. I'll return one of them.

In terms of cartridge I am going to start with the OM5e that comes with it.

Top Bottom