• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended Low Cost DACs

Narnian

Now that I have made the decision to keep the WIIM and the Marantz NR1200 receiver I would like to see if an external DAC can make a difference. There a few things I would like:

1. Balanced outputs for future proofing if I ever decide to ditch the receiver and connect it directly to a power amp.
2. Must be able to act as a basic pre-amp. Currently I only have the WIIM so I have a lot of unused connections on the receiver, like all except the WIIM.
3. Screen is nice but not critical to see current bit rates, etc. without using the phone.
4. Remote is required for future proofing if I pull the receiver out of the mix.
5. Want to stay under $400, which there seem to be a number of well tested ones. Silver a plus

Any particular experience anybody can share and DACs to recommend?

drewdawg999

I just got the SMSL DO100 and it's been great. Perfectly transparent and outstanding fidelity, sounds really great straight into my amp with balanced XLRs. Using USB and optical, everything sounds wonderful, even my old large CD collection. Toe tapping good.

Top Bottom