• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended headphones for Iphone (no external DAC/AMP)

Astroboydivx

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but I've run a search over 'Iphone' and 'low impedance' and haven't come across anything.

Anyway, I appreciate to get the most out of quality high impedance headphones on the move, a portable external Amp is the way to go. But for when it's not practical to carry another dongle, what is the recommended headphone that with a 3.5mm/Lightning adapter will sound great?

Thanks!

OP
A

Astroboydivx

I'm flexible without going to the realms of the exotic - $500 I guess?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Portable headphones, so you need closed headphones, to block noise?
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or ATH-WS99 for more bass.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is the recommended headphone that with a 3.5mm/Lightning adapter will sound great?
Not something with high impedance. The dongle is great for the money* however only puts out like 1 volt.
My nomination is actually the AirPods Pro. Now let me explain that comes out of
(1) Trying umpteen wired things for running and the gym, all clumsy and would never stay in consistently regardless of tips, not even ones with a spring loaded band. So the bass would fade in and out, barf
(2) Used Bose QC25 for planes. Very effective, but hated the pressure sensation and the size is really an issue for a carryon.
Tried my kid's AirPods one night. Twice around the Rose Bowl loop, no problems at all. SOLD! Tried the Pros due to (Defeatable) active noise cancellation, still no problems, and very effective for lawn mowing. Haven't flow with them yet.
- No the sound is not as good as my AKG K240DFs, but it is easily as good as the Bose QC25.
- On planes and somewhat trains and buses, effective active noise cancellation is a big contributor to fidelity
- Watch out, "active noise cancellation" on cheaper stuff is just for the microphone, NOT external noise.
- My buddy flies about 11 billion miles a year and says Sony has the best ANC of all. He felt the B&W and one of the Sennheiser were more musical with decent ANC; sorry I don't remember the model numbers offhand. All are far huger than the AirPod Pros, the next generation of which are supposed to adapt to your ear for correct frequency response. And test you in realtime for COVID, hypnotize you with infrasound into loving your job, all the while subliminally whispering how Tim Cook is actually a superior CEO to Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Michael Dell.

* (Android and/or Europe aside, don't know if that debate ever got settled)

Top Bottom