• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended full-range towers under $1,000/pair?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your best chance is getting some 2nd hand Revel or Infinity speakers for this price. Even then full range will be to maybe 40hz. Which usually is plenty for music.

Something like a Revel F35 or F36. Those go for $1400 to $2000 new. You sometimes see sales at Crutchfields for not much over $1000. And you can see them 2nd hand for your price.

Other than that you might find a speaker 'full range' in your budget, but it will be rather poorly made or performing for various reasons.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be looking at the KEF Q550 which is exactly $1000/pair on their website ($200 less than full price). There may be other options on accessories4less. Their monitors measure pretty well, and I assume (but don't know) that their towers would also measure well. I don't know if they are truly full range (45 Hz -6dB), but they should have solid bass response in a room.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a feeling the pandemic has caused production delays leading to fewer good deals this holiday season.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably increased demand for speakers that cost as much as a vacation to Florida or Hawaii too.
If you can't go to Hawaii, the money can go for something else. On the macro side this has expressed itself as high demand for home improvements and new home starts in areas of the US where that is possible. We are all climbing the walls, as they say. Luckily, I went to Hawaii in February, just before the ceiling caved in.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Am I asking too much?
Yes, but what the heck, why not?
In true audio thread tradition, I have to suggest something above your budget: Wharfedale Linton Heritage. $1200...though to make it a tower, the matching retro stands are another $300. Used would be fine but they may be too new for that. 8" ported woofer tuned down around 40, pretty full range. Lovely sound anywhere in Audio Element's open plan shop.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker
In defense of my thread violation, I note that whatever you get will last you until you die, so it's OK to spend more if you possibly can. If not, I'll go along with the used Revel etc idea. Monitor Audio Silver 300 are great, though at $2k new not sure if you'll find any used at half price yet.
- What Craigslist area do you live in?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If you can't go to Hawaii, the money can go for something else. On the macro side this has expressed itself as high demand for home improvements and new home starts in areas of the US where that is possible. We are all climbing the walls, as they say. Luckily, I went to Hawaii in February, just before the ceiling caved in.
Very nice. Luckily, I am heavily vested in home improvement... I keep getting annoyed I won't get anything from whatever hairbrained stimulus package, and then I remember I am going to get my share, just indirectly.

Kustomize

DIY!
Zaph SB 12.3
Paul Carmody Tarkus
Jeff Bagby Solstice
Curt Campbell Statements.
All under budget and pretty full range. All should extend down to low 30s.
Tarkus goes for $500

non DIY
I would get the JBL 590/580

Last edited:
Top Bottom