• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended Dacs for PA5

FeliZ

Hey there,

Which Dac would you recommend me for the Topping PA-5? I want to upgrade from my chord Mojo

It should have balanced Outs, BT and a remote.

Is there something else than the SMSL Su-9n(cheaper)?

Thank you very much!
Greetings
Florian

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
PA-5 has a low gain of 19dB so you might need a DAC that can reach higher output voltage and have XLR outs. Does the Chord Mojo with RCA out reach satisfactory volume level with PA-5 on your speakers? This would be an important data point for your decision.

OP
F

FeliZ

The Mojo fits the PA-5 really well. The warm sound signature pairs very nicely with my horn speakers and is gets loud enough.

I just need a dac with more comfort (Stand alone)

Last edited:

Actungz

Okay so I know you wanted something a bit cheaper than the su9, but would you consider the miniDSP Flex with balanced outputs? It’s $550 ($475 + $75) for the balanced version, but you also don’t have to buy XLR to TRS adapters anymore for the PA5.

On top of that you now have a standalone room correction device!

OP
F

FeliZ

The MiniDsp Flex looks very promising. Unfortunately it is very expensive in Germany :(

qec

I'm too late to the party but I use an EX5 with my PA5 as well. However the EX5 goes into a preamp then to the PA5 so I was not concerned about output levels. The EX5 puts out 4.3 volts so you should be ok.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Just ordered a Ex5 for 280€

Looking forward to compare to the mojo
Comparison of DACs is tricky btw, nobody to my knowledge has proven that any audible difference can be heard between reasonably well measuring DAC when compared blindly and level matched to 0.1dB. Many threads on this topic here on ASR.
You will “hear” differences of course, but only while you know which one is which and/or the levels aren’t matched. Hope you are getting a new DAC for reasons other than expected sound improvement.

OP
F

FeliZ

Comparison of DACs is tricky btw, nobody to my knowledge has proven that any audible difference can be heard between reasonably well measuring DAC when compared blindly and level matched to 0.1dB. Many threads on this topic here on ASR.
You will “hear” differences of course, but only while you know which one is which and/or the levels aren’t matched. Hope you are getting a new DAC for reasons other than expected sound improv

Update:

Compared the Mojo to the EX5.
I dont want to Start an heated discussion. But the Mojo wins. Hands down

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Update:

Compared the Mojo to the EX5.
I dont want to Start an heated discussion. But the Mojo wins. Hands down
I hope it doesn’t go in a heated discussion, we had too many of these. Enjoy what sounds good to you, that’s the real goal.

AudioArchitech

Fiio BTA30 Pro $120 USD is worth checking out. Has 3V RCA outs, ESS Sabre DAC, Bluetooth 5 with LDAC receiver and transmitter…

OP
F

FeliZ

White Noise Level matching and switching between them.

I think i just Like the colored , warm Sound signature of the Mojo more.
Although the EX5 ist superior in Terms of specifications

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most folks here aren't going to pay much lip service to the differences in DACs, due to quality measurements and aesthetics id opt for a Topping E50 to match.

OP
F

FeliZ

I bought an SMSL M300 MK2 now.
Maybe i like the AKM Dac Sound signature more

AudioArchitech

and chip isn’t everything, AKM chip based DAC can be used to sound like a ESS chipped DAC or vice versa. Other parts in the DAC matter

OP
F

FeliZ

and chip isn’t everything, AKM chip based DAC can be used to sound like a ESS chipped DAC or vice versa. Other parts in the DAC matter

Yes, i think so too. I come from a studio background. Measurements are important, but not all.
Nevertheless for example, a colored and imperfect Neve 1073 Preamp just sounds superb

The EX5 pairs really nicely with the modded HD800. :cool:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
White Noise Level matching and switching between them.

I think i just Like the colored , warm Sound signature of the Mojo more.
Although the EX5 ist superior in Terms of specifications
A more accurate method would be to use a voltmeter to level match the outputs. It also sounds like you performed your testing sighted. Unfortunately, everyone is subject to bias and sighted listening tests have been proven to not provide accurate results. You clearly believe in ideas like AKM vs ESS sound signatures, so you do need to have some controls in place just like anyone else. Even a simple single blind test would massively help to remove the factor that unintentional bias always plays. You seem willing to spend time and money on a testing several different DACs, it's only logical to try to test them in a controlled and proven way that makes the the sound output the only variable. I believe it's worth your time to do this and I hope that you do. Good luck on your search!

Last edited:
Top Bottom